U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 12:56 PM

561 posts, read 212,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Looks like you could be caught between a rock and a hard place. If you advertise a place for rent and then refuse due to his/her profession you might be stetting yourself up for a discriminatory practice suit.
Someone's profession is not a protected class and cannot be the basis for discrimination suit.

I read years back about an HOA that passed an amendment to their docs that prohibited any future sale to a lawyer. This was because of previous bad acts by an attorney-owner and they didn't want to have it happen again. Went to the state Supreme Ct (I don't know which state) and HOA won. Profession is not a protected class.

The HOA I left was trying to pass a rule where the HOA had right to review any purchaser before closing sale. We sold and left before that happened. Talk about a deal killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 PM

4,259 posts, read 7,526,672 times
We sold our house to a county judge. He was a PITA during the inspection negotiations. But his cash was just as green as anyone elses, and my old neighbors report he is quite nice and a good neighbor.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:26 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,187,583 times
I wouldn't rent to a lawyer.

Reminds me of an aggressive medical malpractice attorney in the city where I grew up. She got pregnant and none of the local OBs would take her as a patient.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:55 PM
ERH

1,234 posts, read 1,701,812 times
I refuse to take attorneys as clients in my business. They may be particularly lovely people AS FRIENDS, but in the business world, NOPE.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:25 PM

16,359 posts, read 13,985,160 times
Quote:
Looks like you could be caught between a rock and a hard place. If you advertise a place for rent and then refuse due to his/her profession you might be stetting yourself up for a discriminatory practice suit.
Is profession a protected class?

Old 09-26-2019, 06:38 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,514,107 times
Quote:
No you're not. Someone's chosen profession is not a protected class. You could openly advertise that won't rent to liberals, left handed people, or people who like chocolate better than vanilla and you have every legal right to do so, as dumb as that would be.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:19 PM

213 posts, read 43,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
No you're not. Someone's chosen profession is not a protected class. You could openly advertise that won't rent to liberals, left handed people, or people who like chocolate better than vanilla and you have every legal right to do so, as dumb as that would be.

Funny ... just recently ran across a seller in a competitive bid situation. Asked for best and final offers by 5PM on a Sunday. They spent the next 24 hours searching social media to determine the political views of the offerors. They weeded out a Trumper, an anti-vaxer and two Californians. They felt they couldn’t, in good conscience, sell to those people. I suspect they would have made the same decision about an attorney.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM

10,727 posts, read 12,642,032 times
My sister in law is an attorney (not PI though). She is probably an ideal tenant, even pays the rent a few days before it is due. She has owned houses/rented houses to others and is currently renting a $4000 condo. Landlord told her she can stay as long as she wants but when she moves out they are selling the unit.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:57 AM

644 posts, read 970,394 times
This thread should be changed."Would you rent to a professional?" That could be an electrician, plumber, architect, engineer, etc. Those professions-and others-could be potential landmines unto themselves. I would think they wouldn't have a problem with paying rent but those aforementioned tenants would always look for problems.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:21 AM

34,076 posts, read 59,271,205 times
Attorneys are not a protected class.

Deadbeats and grifters come in all colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or