U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:12 PM

3,299 posts, read 2,009,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In some states, occupation is a protected class. It doesn't say "lawyers are a protected class" it says "source of income is a protected class".

If the lawyer gets his income from being a lawyer, he falls under a protected class. He can not be legally rejected because practicing law is his source of income.

Be very careful that you know your state and local landlord laws before you start assuming someone or something is not protected by law.
Typically, this would refer to things like alimony, which would be a valid source of income, but one might discriminate against someone with this sort of income because it is not earned by work. It would be related to gender discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 08:07 PM

213 posts, read 43,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Typically, this would refer to things like alimony, which would be a valid source of income, but one might discriminate against someone with this sort of income because it is not earned by work. It would be related to gender discrimination.
Not so much alimony but public assistance. The reality of the matter is that a landlord can discriminate on pretty much any basis they want to as long as they are smart about it and don’t do anything the gives away their reasoning.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:55 PM

18,447 posts, read 11,654,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I had neighbor who rented their house out to an attorney. Within 2 months of moving in he claimed to see rat turds in the attack and insisted the insulation be replaced in the attic. Shortly after that he filed a lawsuit saying he was suffering health issues over rats in the house and never paid rent again for the entire 16 months he resided in the place....constantly deferring eviction over “health issues.”

So....now I have a prospective tenant asking about leasing one of my properties. He’s a personal injury attorney. What would you do?

In a former life, I was a loan manager, making personal loans. We had a list of professions that we never made loans to, and at the head of that list were Attorneys. The reason, because they knew all the angles and all the loopholes, of how to get out of repaying their loans.

If I were you, I would tell him it is already spoken for. If you and he get into a sticky situation, you would have to hire an Attorney, and he already has one (himself).

Old 09-27-2019, 10:04 PM

56,219 posts, read 75,360,558 times
Last time I did I got sued

Old 09-28-2019, 12:49 PM

3,299 posts, read 2,009,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Not so much alimony but public assistance. The reality of the matter is that a landlord can discriminate on pretty much any basis they want to as long as they are smart about it and don’t do anything the gives away their reasoning.
That, too. And yes, it is easy for many LL's to discriminate if they are smart about it. In some areas with older properties, dwellings with kids are subject to lead paint abatement requirements, and some LLs don't want to get stuck dealing with this issue and do what they can to avoid renting to families with kids, even though that would constitute a form of illegal discrimination.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

187 posts, read 119,271 times
Basing your opinion on your neighbor's experience with one attorney is irresponsible because not all people in a profession are the same, nor do they have the same values, morals, and ideals. For example, there are bad/good people in every industry, so with this logic if you had a bad teacher once, that means all teachers are bad. Other than income, a tenant's job doesn't matter to me, because I'm worried about nothing but getting my rent on time and having a good relationship with my tenant.

My tenant screening process is the same no matter what the candidates job is. I always charge an application fee that I use to pay for a tenant screening service which gives me a credit report, background check, previous address history, and more: https://www.myrental.com/. Along with using a tenant screening service, I ask for 2 references from previous landlords/employers, who will be unbiased in their evaluations, unlike family/friends might potentially be.

With this being said, all landlords have different screening processes and you have to figure out what your guidelines for accepting tenants are. If you still don't want to rent to attorneys then that's your prerogative, but that also doesn't mean that you will only attract good tenants.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

213 posts, read 43,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW127 View Post
Basing your opinion on your neighbor's experience with one attorney is irresponsible because not all people in a profession are the same, nor do they have the same values, morals, and ideals. For example, there are bad/good people in every industry, so with this logic if you had a bad teacher once, that means all teachers are bad. Other than income, a tenant's job doesn't matter to me, because I'm worried about nothing but getting my rent on time and having a good relationship with my tenant.

My tenant screening process is the same no matter what the candidates job is. I always charge an application fee that I use to pay for a tenant screening service which gives me a credit report, background check, previous address history, and more: https://www.myrental.com/. Along with using a tenant screening service, I ask for 2 references from previous landlords/employers, who will be unbiased in their evaluations, unlike family/friends might potentially be.

With this being said, all landlords have different screening processes and you have to figure out what your guidelines for accepting tenants are. If you still don't want to rent to attorneys then that's your prerogative, but that also doesn't mean that you will only attract good tenants.
If you go an applicant’s current landlord, you might get a rosy reference response if the LL is trying to get rid of a problem tenant. There is no danger for the current LL if they decide to spin the story to get rid of the tenant.

I do the same for prospective tenants as you do however I go one step further. I add a litigation search to my background check. For an extra $50, which is charged to the applicant, the background company searches local and federal courts for litigation. An applicant with a history of being the plaintiff in too many small claims suits, an applicant that has sued a former landlord, an applicant with a history PI lawsuits will be declined as being too litigious for my tastes.

Old Today, 06:55 PM

26,883 posts, read 63,932,927 times
I am an attorney. I have rented many properties with no problems. Once house needed quite a bit of repair over the years we were there, so I usually did the repairs and sent the receipts for materials to the landlord. After he approved them I deducted the amount from the next rent payment. When we told him we were moving to a cheaper place to save up to buy a house, he lowered the rent so we would stay. Then he tried to sell us the house on a lease option.

He died before we moved out and his kids took over. They made me made because they held our security deposit because the oven was dirty. There were two ovens. Both were dirty when we moved in. One worked so we cleaned it and used it. The other did not work, so we ignored it. It made me made because I did thousands of dollars of free labor on that house over the four or five years we lived there, and they wanted to charge me for a dirty oven that was dirt y when we moved in. I sent them a letter telling them I would sue them if they tried to hold $1300 for a dirty oven that did not work and was dirty when we moved in. They sent half of it back and made up some new reasons for keeping the balance. Like dead landscaping - which I had planted and which was alive when we moved out. Another new excuse was that we had painted a mural on the wall in the kid's room (with their father's permission). We stopped by to look at the house a month later, and discovered they had torn that wall out entirely to make a second master bedroom. But I am sure the giant Winnie the pooh mural made it cost more to rip the wall out.

Landlord's offspring are the real dirt-bags, not lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or