U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 12:28 PM

3,864 posts, read 9,416,944 times

Advertisements

I don't see either as an investment if it's for personal use. I prefer single family houses without an HOA.

As a rental property, I'd go with a multi-unit structure.

For resale, I would go with whichever you can maintain and update. Locally, I see townhouses that are updated sell faster than single family houses that are not---even when they listed at a much lower price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 11:54 PM

19,116 posts, read 21,114,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
But one literally pays a price for the maintenance so any HOA dues need to be factored in which can really eat into either cash flow or profit (or both) depending on the amount.
A SFR is usually more expensive in carry costs. My old HOA fees ran 250 on one house 300 in another.

My landscaper here costs $125. Last guy was $145. Electrical and water is higher and I gotta pay trash. My costs are higher in SFR.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,116,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A SFR is usually more expensive in carry costs. My old HOA fees ran 250 on one house 300 in another.

My landscaper here costs $125. Last guy was $145. Electrical and water is higher and I gotta pay trash. My costs are higher in SFR.
Understood, that's why I said "depending on the amount" and it also depends on how much actual use you get out of any HOA amenities. As an example, there are some condos here where the HOA runs about $.70-$.75/sqft. That's a pretty hefty fee (at least for me), which if you are not really using all the amenities then probably doesn't represent good value.

Old Today, 01:17 PM

7,065 posts, read 12,681,183 times
I see townhomes in Fla, that do not have HOA fees. Basically one level duplex structures. Lawns always look cut and bldg structure look taken care of. So if there is no hoa, then the owners must be taking care of their property. What happens if a home is sold. and the next owner doesn't maintain property. If there is no hoa I don't see how a no HOA fee would work in this case. I don't see how any enforcement could take place then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or