U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 10:43 AM

224 posts, read 129,395 times

Advertisements

Townhomes vs Homes: What's a better investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 AM

5,732 posts, read 2,649,633 times
At present, all else being equal which it never is, a detached house is generally better for growing or retaining value.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM

148 posts, read 40,491 times
Too many variables. Location, size, health of HOA, community demographics, etc. These all factor into your ROI.

Townhomes may be easier to rent out, because they can generally be had for cheaper than a single family detached home. Single family homes may be easier to sell because they are generally bigger and have a full yard.

If you're concerned about the health of the community, research it and get on the board. At the very least, regularly attend board meetings. Most people don't go to these, so their feedback is often not heard.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:02 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,527,715 times
Detached SFH are usually always worth more. However, usually, townhouses are better maintained due to HOA's.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:52 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,116,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Detached SFH are usually always worth more. However, usually, townhouses are better maintained due to HOA's.
But one literally pays a price for the maintenance so any HOA dues need to be factored in which can really eat into either cash flow or profit (or both) depending on the amount.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
But one literally pays a price for the maintenance so any HOA dues need to be factored in which can really eat into either cash flow or profit (or both) depending on the amount.
Not sure about all markets, but your insurance and utilities will generally be much lower than with a house, because the HOA's insurance covers the exterior of the unit and the property. My policy is half of what I'd pay for a single family detached home. I don't pay water either. And I literally have to do nothing for outside maintenance.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:08 PM

5,732 posts, read 2,649,633 times
By the way, "home" means your domicile whether it's a cardboard box under the bridge, a rented apartment, or a palace. Home is not the structure.

You don't buy a "home". You buy a structure, which is a HOUSE.

Have you ever heard of a "home of ill repute"?

The correct terms are "townHOUSE" and "HOUSE" - could also be "single family HOUSE", "detached HOUSE", "semi-detached HOUSE", etc.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM

5,850 posts, read 9,478,153 times
Dwelling. SFD = Single Family Dwelling.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Since we're being pedantic, what about an "abode"?

Townabode

-or-

Single family abode

I like the ring of that.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:57 AM

62 posts, read 22,957 times
There is of course, more to the equation than what gains maximum value. Townhouses are usually cheaper to purchase. Yes, you have an HOA fee, but that makes maintenence costs predictable, provided you audit the HOA an densure that it's financially solvent.

In densely populated areas, the idea of everyone having their own free-standing house with a yard is unsustainable. Attached housing where you don't have someone above or below is the best compromise.

I have always been happy in attached dwellings, be they townhomes or duplexes. Exterior maintenence, and the stress of being responsible for the outside don't appeal to me. This has been studies as one of the primary reason owners of SFH are less happy than renters.

Give me a 1970s-1990s townhouse where I'm responsible walls in and I'm happy. At the end of the day, a paid off townhouse and a predictable monthly HOA for maintenence is the way to go. No less than a paid off house where you still may get whacked with random five-figure sums, potentially multiple in one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or