U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:07 AM

9,374 posts, read 9,470,753 times

Advertisements

1. Interview agents. Don't just pick the first one you meet, or one with a big company. I would recommend interviewing a minimum of three agents before hiring someone. Get these names from friends, neighbors, banks, attorneys, or accountants.

2. Find out where the agent has most of their sales. If its in an area far away from where your home is located this should make you nervous. He may not want to come all the way over to your locality to show your home to others.

3. Make sure your agent understands the whole closing process. There are a number of real estate novices who may understand how to sell a home, but don't understand financing, appraising, or some other aspect of the closing process.

4. Try to avoid agreeing to a six month listing period. If you get a dud for an agent, you may be stuck. Ask for a three month or a fourth month commitment instead.

5. Bargain over the commission. However, realize that the lower the commission is, the less incentive the agent will have to sell your home. Recognize that if two agents are involved (one for you and one for the buyer) the commission will have to be split. I have thought about asking for a reduced commission in the rare situation where the same agent is working with both the buyer and seller.

6. When you don't see your home being shown, pick up the phone and ask your agent about the local market and what is going on.

7. Realize as a home owner (or purchaser) that when the general economy begins to go downhill, the real estate market responds. It takes longer to sell in a bad market and no agent can change that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:56 PM

3,054 posts, read 2,299,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherMichael View Post
Two older homes sold on my block for more than what I am asking. Mine was priced within comps, but thanks for your feedback.
Comps don't tell you the condition of the homes. I put my home on the market earlier this year but was unaware that almost every home similar to mine in the same area had been completely renovated. (Property is in San Francisco.) I had to factor this into my selling price

What I find disturbing is your sister tried to get info on the property but your agent didn't respond.

That' good indicator your RE agent needs to go.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:03 PM

567 posts, read 214,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Comps don't tell you the condition of the homes. I put my home on the market earlier this year but was unaware that almost every home similar to mine in the same area had been completely renovated. (Property is in San Francisco.) I had to factor this into my selling price
This is exactly right. The cost per square foot tells nothing about whether renovation has been done, what quality level the kitchen or bathrooms or flooring is. That's where a better agent brings their expertise. Finding the "better" agent...that's the hard part.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:15 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,740,250 times
Is the agent independent? If not, if they work for a company like Keller Williams, Coldwell-Banker, etc., or even a local agency with a significant number of Realtors working out of the same office, ask for a meeting with the office manager.

Take your contract. Explain unemotionally why you are unhappy with the agent's service. Ask to have the contract terminated. Don't make threats. Be willing to agree that perhaps you two just don't communicate well. I've done this before and it worked. I got a new agent who sold my house almost immediately.

But do be willing to take advice about things like curb appeal, staging, photography, etc. Realtors need to have a good property if it's going to move at a good price.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:53 PM

17 posts, read 3,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

What I find disturbing is your sister tried to get info on the property but your agent didn't respond.

That' good indicator your RE agent needs to go.
My home was built in 2000 and completely renovated in 2014. What I found interesting as well is the agent shown me a text stating it needs a lot of work and a finished basement. The basement is completely finished with a brand new floor, kitchen, entertainment area and walk in closets. I checked him out now and he's not sold one listing in over a year according to his LinkedIn.

All of his listings went offline in about 3 months and they've relisted with another broker. I was thinking that is how mine will go and I was going to get an independent appraisal and list it at that rate with FSBO's web site. I assume I'd cut the price by 50k since I would have to pay a brokers seller commission. I am aware I'd have to pay the buyer's commission possibly. Would a home priced around 700k sell with a FSBO?

Old 09-29-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
This is exactly right. The cost per square foot tells nothing about whether renovation has been done, what quality level the kitchen or bathrooms or flooring is. That's where a better agent brings their expertise. Finding the "better" agent...that's the hard part.
Granite and custom for the kitchens (two of them) and bathrooms. After this experience, I am not sure about agents. This one is complete garbage.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Is the agent independent? If not, if they work for a company like Keller Williams, Coldwell-Banker, etc., or even a local agency with a significant number of Realtors working out of the same office, ask for a meeting with the office manager.

Take your contract. Explain unemotionally why you are unhappy with the agent's service. Ask to have the contract terminated. Don't make threats. Be willing to agree that perhaps you two just don't communicate well. I've done this before and it worked. I got a new agent who sold my house almost immediately.

But do be willing to take advice about things like curb appeal, staging, photography, etc. Realtors need to have a good property if it's going to move at a good price.

No, he works with a larger agency. I asked if we need to stage as two rooms were empty, he said no. So, there you go. I was thinking just getting two inflatable beds and adding them to both rooms with some linens, some end tables and lights. Maybe a rug. I am amazed how far the inflatable beds have come.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:52 AM

6,775 posts, read 3,747,180 times
Quote:
No, he works with a larger agency. I asked if we need to stage as two rooms were empty, he said no. So, there you go. I was thinking just getting two inflatable beds and adding them to both rooms with some linens, some end tables and lights. Maybe a rug. I am amazed how far the inflatable beds have come.
Two empty bedrooms, if otherwise in great condition (clean carpet, good paint, etc.) shouldn't be a showstopper. A bigger deal is an empty dining room, living room, den, etc. Depending on the size of the bedrooms being empty might be an asset - instead of stuffing a queen sized bed in a small room.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 AM

19,057 posts, read 21,038,402 times
Quote:
My home was built in 2000 and completely renovated in 2014. What I found interesting as well is the agent shown me a text stating it needs a lot of work and a finished basement. The basement is completely finished with a brand new floor, kitchen, entertainment area and walk in closets. I checked him out now and he's not sold one listing in over a year according to his LinkedIn.

All of his listings went offline in about 3 months and they've relisted with another broker. I was thinking that is how mine will go and I was going to get an independent appraisal and list it at that rate with FSBO's web site. I assume I'd cut the price by 50k since I would have to pay a brokers seller commission. I am aware I'd have to pay the buyer's commission possibly. Would a home priced around 700k sell with a FSBO?
I wouldnt drop that much off the price. Start interviewing other agents. Get their opinion on the market in your area, your target price, negotiate that 6% to 5 or 4.5 etc. if the supply is low and market is hot that means there arenít a lot of sales and everyone is scrambling to get what comes up. If the market is cold then youíll need to make a decision on selling or holding.

Sounds to me like that agent was let go or left and went somewhere else. If he hasnít made any sales in a year heís either got money or living on borrowed time

Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 AM

Just to give the benefit of the doubt, I had my neighbor do my a favor and submit a request for more information online. He's yet to hear back from the agent. I, on the other hand, reached out to the agents on homes that I am interested in moving for more information online. Amazingly, they all responded. I am not crazy here..

I am ordering a home appraisal and once I have that, I will send an email to the agent CC'ing his broker stating I want out of the contract since he's basically doing nothing. Case-in-point, two separate people reached out to him, and he didn't respond to any of those inquries.

Why become a realtor if you are going to do zero work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or