U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 06:29 AM

874 posts, read 1,467,557 times

Advertisements

In our area, housing is in high demand, but open houses still seem to be sparsely attended. People seem to do a lot more online viewing and set up viewing times that are convenient to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:39 AM

9,182 posts, read 18,277,844 times
It will vary greatly based on location.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:51 AM

2,632 posts, read 1,515,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is rare for a home to be sold from an open house. NAR statistics, find less than 2% of homes are sold via open houses

Open houses benefit agents, looking to find potential buyers for other homes, and listings.
Out of those homes that do get sold that way, the majority of them would have sold in a day anyways because they are in hot markets and the agent is simply fishing for more listings from people in the neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:09 AM

84 posts, read 59,764 times
We still do Open Houses but has the seasonality, of MN, starts to change they draw less people. Yesterday a 2 hour open drew 3 groups and none were serious buyers.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:13 AM

21,633 posts, read 12,277,113 times
I don't think they are that well attended where I am - a large planned urban community that has about 25000 houses that are existing or currently under construction. Resale houses go briskly here (although a little slower than a couple of years ago) and I think that most people want to get in and see something when it's listed, and not necessarily wait a few days for an open house knowing someone may have already seen it and be in the process of writing an offer. With the new construction, the model homes always seem to have a regular flow of traffic, esp. in nice weather.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:52 AM

14,132 posts, read 33,352,435 times
It depends on the market and market conditions. In highly desirable neighborhoods in my city, I can get 100-150 people at the open houses I do on the first weekend the home is on the market. I don't get that many at subsequent ones. Otherwise, I'd say about 30 is typical for the first weekend on the market.

I only hold mine open for two hours.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:04 AM

34,074 posts, read 59,260,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on the market and market conditions. In highly desirable neighborhoods in my city, I can get 100-150 people at the open houses I do on the first weekend the home is on the market. I don't get that many at subsequent ones. Otherwise, I'd say about 30 is typical for the first weekend on the market.

I only hold mine open for two hours.
Yikes.
Thatís more bodies than I would want in a house.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:56 AM

14,132 posts, read 33,352,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yikes.
Thatís more bodies than I would want in a house.
I sell a lot of vintage homes and one of my mid-century moderns this year had close to 200 people. I was wishing I had another agent there with me. I've never had a turnout like that and it was insane. There were people everywhere.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 5,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It is rare for a home to be sold from an open house. NAR statistics, find less than 2% of homes are sold via open houses

Open houses benefit agents, looking to find potential buyers for other homes, and listings.

I wonder how that percentage changes by region. Open houses are a common thing where I am.

I bought my place after attending an open house and I was ready to put an offer on a place I saw yesterday via an open house. (I also saw someone at the open house who basically looked ready to throw down an offer. It will be a hot property.)

I had about twelve people show up to my unimpressive abode.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:47 PM

6,094 posts, read 1,563,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I know it probably depends on the neighborhood and time of year. But today noticed signs being put up at house next to me for open house this afternoon. Owners were away, realtor was there probably 5 hours. I didn't see a single car come up! You would think someone would come, even people in the neighborhood just being nosy. Don't remember any open houses on this street but I've seen signs around the neighborhood.

House also has only had two showings that I'm aware of. It's been listed for about two months now, I believe.

Wondering if maybe no advertising also caused no traffic at open house. Usually there's something in the MLS description of upcoming ones, but saw nothing noted. Sometimes they're also listed in newspapers and real estate magazines.
It depend on the neighborhood and time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or