U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 04:18 PM

268 posts, read 216,702 times

Advertisements

I know it probably depends on the neighborhood and time of year. But today noticed signs being put up at house next to me for open house this afternoon. Owners were away, realtor was there probably 5 hours. I didn't see a single car come up! You would think someone would come, even people in the neighborhood just being nosy. Don't remember any open houses on this street but I've seen signs around the neighborhood.

House also has only had two showings that I'm aware of. It's been listed for about two months now, I believe.

Wondering if maybe no advertising also caused no traffic at open house. Usually there's something in the MLS description of upcoming ones, but saw nothing noted. Sometimes they're also listed in newspapers and real estate magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 04:32 PM

44,746 posts, read 43,220,757 times
Must not be a very hot neighborhood.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:35 PM

6,339 posts, read 3,553,810 times
I think it really varies by market. We normally serve a pretty rural area and no matter how much we’ve advertised our open houses out here we’ve only gotten a couple of people to come. We even offered door prizes and root beer floats at one of them and only got a few visitors who were mostly our friends and a couple lookie-loo neighbors. They’re just not a popular idea out here. Most serious buyers who want to see the house want to come on a private appointment where they will have the house to themselves.

Other markets may have quite a different experience but it sounds like your area might be more like ours.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:53 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,567,139 times
so what is the actual question?

in our current tech-centric society, the tech not only provides the opportunity for Buyers to "see" a house without ever setting foot in it; this allows them the day a home hits the market to up/down vote a house they see. Now, if they call it a "maybe", and they like to do Open House looking as part of them learning the market, then maybe it's on their list.

the active Buyers have also seen everything about the home within 48 hours of it hitting the market, and they made their appointment with their agent and saw the house in the first 10 days.

the tech also allows an Open House to be promoted online, without any advertising you may otherwise see, and without a large amount of signage on inbound streets. A simple OPEN HOUSE sign at the actual address (with above online presence) would be enough for 99% of Buyers

Old 09-28-2019, 09:15 PM

9,084 posts, read 8,318,475 times
It is rare for a home to be sold from an open house. NAR statistics, find less than 2% of homes are sold via open houses

Open houses benefit agents, looking to find potential buyers for other homes, and listings.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:36 PM

2,418 posts, read 914,860 times
Football season just started as well. Here its dead on sundays at open houses if the cowboys are playing.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:51 PM

19,049 posts, read 21,026,834 times
I’ve seen open houses where a closed funeral home gets more action
At the last place I lived my next door neighbor was selling. They had a open house I kid you not, the agent said over 300 people showed.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:27 AM

2,005 posts, read 384,041 times
As a nosy looky-loo, I might attend an open house for a flipped house today in my neighborhood and will see if anyone else shows up. I believe the house is priced too high for this area, but who knows, maybe someone will go to the open house and fall in love with this house.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:52 AM

34,070 posts, read 59,260,161 times
Had a Saturday open house last weekend.
People driving by, saw the sign, and they were under contract on Sunday.

Open houses tend to have a low conversion rate, and many have a low attendance rate, but, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 09-29-2019 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-29-2019, 06:22 AM

3,299 posts, read 2,009,231 times
In the area where I sold my last house, open houses seemed to be sparsely attended, although most got a few lookers. In the area where I bought my house, the open houses were all very crowded, with many people at a time. I saw quite a few open houses and we were never the only lookers in the house -- often we were one of a dozen or so at that particular time.

I also noticed that at in my previous location open houses tended to last several hours -- like from 1-5. In my new location, it's not uncommon to have them only last an hour or two. Like from 12-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or