Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:51 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Other than publishing the buyer's agent commission on the public MLS it doesn't appear to be any different than how my MLS is run now. Sellers have always had the power to refuse to pay anything more than $1 to the buyer's agent.

I wish that more consumers would ask, "How do you get paid?"
I get the question a couple of times a year.

They need to know what they are paying, IMO, and I disclose it on every house I show.

When NC made buyers agents disclose their expected compensation, and any variances from it such as bonuses, cruise credits, high or escalating commissions, the mewling and grunting and groaning were revealing.
"How is it THEIR (my client I am serving as a trusted fiduciary) any business how much I am making?!!!" was very revealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
It's interesting to see the different treatments in other states/markets.

As MikeJ said, in NC we have had disclosure of compensation to Buyers:

1. in our Buyer Agency Agreement
2. ANYTIME it varies from that, including bonuses etc, at time of writing the offer.

Why, just the other day, I chuckled with a Buyer client telling them "Now, if you buy this home, and make an offer this week, then they say they'll give me an extra $1,000 bonus." This would be about a 8% bonus.

Do WA listing agreements NOT spell out what the listing broker would pay cooperating agents?? . Must have, otherwise it couldn't be a "long held secret"

Old 10-02-2019, 07:31 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
speaking of customs, I assume the article has it wrong with their cute graphic of the Seller handing the Buyer's Agent money. I've never heard that happening, when they have a listing agent.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:32 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
It's interesting to see the different treatments in other states/markets.

As MikeJ said, in NC we have had disclosure of compensation to Buyers:

1. in our Buyer Agency Agreement
2. ANYTIME it varies from that, including bonuses etc, at time of writing the offer.

Why, just the other day, I chuckled with a Buyer client telling them "Now, if you buy this home, and make an offer this week, then they say they'll give me an extra $1,000 bonus." This would be about a 8% bonus.

Do WA listing agreements NOT spell out what the listing broker would pay cooperating agents?? . Must have, otherwise it couldn't be a "long held secret"
Bo we have the same disclosures above when we sign buyer agency agreement.

We also have always spelled out what the buyers agent will make in the listing agreement... that’s not a change either.

The changes to our system from the way it was before are that:

- The MLS used to require that the buyer’s agent be paid *something*. Now evidently it will not.

- The amounts or percentages of compensation have never been published to the *public* before.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Technically speaking, sellers have always been able to refuse to pay buyers agent commission. FSBO is one way. Another is when listing find an agent that will work on your commission amount. You may have to pay a $1 for some MLS' but that may as well be free.

It won't help sell the home, but you can do it.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
It won't help sell the home, but you can do it.
So far that’s how I am looking at the panic about this. There will still be smart reasons to be fair.

It’s too soon to tell for sure.

I guess I think it will sort itself out that we will be still able to sell homes and not starve to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate