Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 03:16 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times

Advertisements

Sellers can now refuse to pay Buyers' fees.

Where does this put buyers, who will perhaps have to pay their own fees (3%?!) out of pocket, on top of closing costs and down payment.

Where does this put the future of the Buyers Agent?

Is this a Lending Tree-like Dumbing Down of an industry, wherein Lowest Buyers Fee wins?

Will this spread, and how fast?

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...tle-area-home/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 03:22 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

Where does this put buyers, who will perhaps have to pay their own fees (3%?!) out of pocket, on top of closing costs and down payment.

Is this a Lending Tree-like Dumbing Down of an industry, wherein Lowest Buyers Fee wins?

Well that is just the NWMLS which is an indie MLS. Most MLS's are REALTOR run and have to follow NAR rules. That said, I also belong to an indie MLS and you can offer any number greater than zero so a listing agent can offer $1 in my MLS if they want. I think the NWMLS has always been an amount greater than 0 too. Lowering the threshold by $1 isn't a game-changer. What is a game-changer is publishing the buyer agent compensation because now buyer agents will have to justify to buyers why they are worth that amount.

Now, that is a big deal.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:34 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:

Well, it's too soon to tell for sure, but I think most listings will still offer to pay a buyer's agent fees, just like they always have, just like they often do with fsbos. I do hope most sellers will see the value in that.

If it has an effect, unfortunately, that effect will likely be on the representation and financing for the lowest priced homes, and least able to afford it.

In our own business, the source and percentage of our compensation has not been a secret before, so I'm not sure how it will change things to have it "published".

Will lenders finance the commission for those purchases where sellers will not pay and buyers would like to finance it with the purchase? That will be an important question, yet to be answered. I think I've heard the VA will NOT. If true, it's unfortunately going to be another strike against VA buyers, and that's too bad.

Quote:

Too soon to tell!

Old 10-01-2019, 04:01 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

It's all about price and negotiation.
So, the buyer's agent's fee is not baked into the price? Just another detail for the meeting of the minds.
Comps are generally based on sales with the Buyer paying their agent via a commission baked into the price.
Negotiate from that standpoint, and adjust for commission when doing comps.

It DOES have the plus of integrity, with the "Buyers Agency is FREEE" crowd having to own their BS.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It's all about price and negotiation.
So, the buyer's agent's fee is not baked into the price? Just another detail for the meeting of the minds.
Comps are generally based on sales with the Buyer paying their agent via a commission baked into the price.
Negotiate from that standpoint, and adjust for commission when doing comps.

It DOES have the plus of integrity, with the "Buyers Agency is FREEE" crowd having to own their BS.
The thing is... as Silverfall said... it's never been a *requirement* that the split be 50-50, or even, any minimum percentage. And yet, we have had a custom of 50-50 splits because that's what the listing agents told sellers is the norm for this area, and it is what agents have expected from each other.

Sellers so far have typically offered normal ranges of commission to buyers agents, even when choosing the cheap entry only listing services. So they've been more likely to want to lower their listing agent's commission than the buyer's agent. They evidently saw value in attracting buyer's agents.

I'm not sure what would change about that if the fee is published. What's not clear at all to me is how buyers are actually going to perceive those homes and those sellers who say they will pay nothing.

Too soon to tell.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:05 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
OK so from the Lending side, it seems the seller can still Elect to pay Buyer's fee, and allow it to be paid via seller concession, but they will likely be more judicious in regard to allowing that to cut into their net proceeds.

This also might move a good number of borrowers up the LTV scale.

Thanks for the perspective I had some peeps freaking out there...

Old 10-01-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
OK so from the Lending side, it seems the seller can still Elect to pay Buyer's fee, and allow it to be paid via seller concession, but they will likely be more judicious in regard to allowing that to cut into their net proceeds.

Thanks for the perspective I had some peeps freaking out there...
They can, the change is that it is no longer required that they pay something, and the amount will now be published.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:18 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The thing is... as Silverfall said... it's never been a *requirement* that the split be 50-50, or even, any minimum percentage. And yet, we have had a custom of 50-50 splits because that's what the listing agents told sellers is the norm for this area, and it is what agents have expected from each other.

Sellers so far have typically offered normal ranges of commission to buyers agents, even when choosing the cheap entry only listing services. So they've been more likely to want to lower their listing agent's commission than the buyer's agent. They evidently saw value in attracting buyer's agents.

I'm not sure what would change about that if the fee is published. What's not clear at all to me is how buyers are actually going to perceive those homes and those sellers who say they will pay nothing.

Too soon to tell.

The "custom" is immaterial in regards to the concept that including a buyers' agency commission baked into the price is optional.
Yes, the agent may have more pressure on them to provide good discussion of their value proposition, but that is a plus.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:42 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Other than publishing the buyer's agent commission on the public MLS it doesn't appear to be any different than how my MLS is run now. Sellers have always had the power to refuse to pay anything more than $1 to the buyer's agent.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:46 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
My last sale the buyers agent took no commission per the settlement sheet. No the buyer was not related to their agent AFAIK. Not sure but I think it was a gift hoping to get listings of more valuable family property related to buyer.

My thoughts on WA change: in the beginning the seller will have at least a 3% advantage in their listing price being 3% lower. But will buyers agents show their home? It will be essentially a FSBO where the owner has agreed to pay 3% to listing agent and nothing to a buyers agent.

It seems wrong-headed. A seller WANTS buyers agents. They are more valuable than the listing agent when push comes to shove (and hope that doesn't happen lol). They bring money along with their commission cost.

I would like to change the current system but not my job. Both buyers and sellers lose in the current system, both overpay commission IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate