U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,914 posts, read 2,675,166 times
Reputation: 9702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"Safe rooms" in my area are to protect from tornadoes, not home invaders. I hope the OP clarifies.
Ah, I had forgotten that type of "safe room" If I lived in tornado alley and needed protection from the elements, then heck yes, I would want one of those!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Status: "Hard Money Lender " (set 8 days ago)
 
232 posts, read 50,170 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Ah, I had forgotten that type of "safe room" If I lived in tornado alley and needed protection from the elements, then heck yes, I would want one of those!
Growing up in Indiana, a safe room as an interior bathroom or basement - donít miss that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,914 posts, read 2,675,166 times
Reputation: 9702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Growing up in Indiana, a safe room as an interior bathroom or basement - donít miss that at all.
I dislike using interior bathrooms. I suppose I would consider a home if it had a powder room/half bath for guests that was windowless, but I hate to inflict what I don't want for myself on my friends or family.

Your Redoubt story was useful, not off-topic. It brought up yet another reason why some people might want a safe room. I suppose there are even areas of the country where some of the inhabitants might welcome a room set aside for taxidermy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
 
294 posts, read 118,206 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it *sounds like* with your other thread, that you have designed and built a house and now your mortgage lender has received an appraisal below what you'd like the home to be worth, as well as possibly what you need the value to be for your expected mortgage.

When you custom build a home, and trick it out to your tastes, then you should expect that a lot of the "amenities" will be coming out of your pocket.
Actually, it's quite the opposite. Its a custom home designed by an architect, contract price is $2.2M, it appraised at $2.6M. I'm well aware I'd be paying more for a custom home and I won't have to bring but I'd still like to know I'm getting some value to the features/amenities I'm adding. If I have a dedicated safe room and I spent $200K on it but the appraiser doesn't count it all then that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not expecting to get all value back but it should be at least considered and have some value.

You probably know that an appraisal is an opinion of value and it's extremely subjective, especially in a custom home, I just want to make sure I'm not getting the short end of the stick. I'm a numbers kind of person, I have a spreadsheet and that I account for everything almost down to the type of faucet and its cost, if something doesn't add up to me then I have to find out why.

Not worry so much about the total cost but rather why something cost or don't cost that much. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Status: "Hard Money Lender " (set 8 days ago)
 
232 posts, read 50,170 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Actually, it's quite the opposite. Its a custom home designed by an architect, contract price is $2.2M, it appraised at $2.6M. I'm well aware I'd be paying more for a custom home and I won't have to bring but I'd still like to know I'm getting some value to the features/amenities I'm adding. If I have a dedicated safe room and I spent $200K on it but the appraiser doesn't count it all then that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not expecting to get all value back but it should be at least considered and have some value.

You probably know that an appraisal is an opinion of value and it's extremely subjective, especially in a custom home, I just want to make sure I'm not getting the short end of the stick. I'm a numbers kind of person, I have a spreadsheet and that I account for everything almost down to the type of faucet and its cost, if something doesn't add up to me then I have to find out why.

Not worry so much about the total cost but rather why something cost or don't cost that much. That's all.
At that kind of housing value, I think you would be well served to engage with a high dollar appraiser upfront and ask these questions directly since real estate and appraisals are very localized to the specific market. I would not be asking for advice from an Internet forum when dealing with a multi-million dollar property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
 
294 posts, read 118,206 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have a question about your last query: "A gym room, playroom and home theater?"

Are those three separate rooms or one multi-purpose room, such as one might find in a finished basement?

If your house is a multimillion dollar house ($10 million plus) where it might be common to have a safe room, I suppose it would be OK; otherwise, seeing one mentioned in a listing would at least cause me to question how safe the neighborhood is. Do you want to put that concern into the minds of your prospective buyers?
LOL, ok just to be clear, the city I am building the property in is in the top 10 safest cities in the US so no problem there. I'm not wealthy by any means but this will be our last home, a retirement home so I want to add the things I've been wanting in a home. I should add that this home will be built on a 10 acre flat lands, neighbor's are a few miles away. Go big or go home, as they say..or something like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
 
294 posts, read 118,206 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"Safe rooms" in my area are to protect from tornadoes, not home invaders. I hope the OP clarifies.
It's to store various valuable items, also some food/medical necessities. Maybe an armory too..I don't know, I think it's fun to have so I opted to add it in our home. I'm currently researching hidden door options...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
 
294 posts, read 118,206 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
At that kind of housing value, I think you would be well served to engage with a high dollar appraiser upfront and ask these questions directly since real estate and appraisals are very localized to the specific market. I would not be asking for advice from an Internet forum when dealing with a multi-million dollar property.
Well, that's true, but I always like to research info myself other than relying on appraisers. I've been to plenty of appraisers forum and reading from their stories I'm even more hesitant to trust their opinion. I just don't feel they have a standard to go by, it's an opinion of value, which makes it a bit more suspect so I quadruple check everything. They may think I'm wealthy so they think can value it however they want, they don't know I check every item. This is just me though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,914 posts, read 2,675,166 times
Reputation: 9702
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
It's to store various valuable items, also some food/medical necessities. Maybe an armory too..I don't know, I think it's fun to have so I opted to add it in our home. I'm currently researching hidden door options...
Did you see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60UPNfQyOk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
 
978 posts, read 268,986 times
Reputation: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
It's to store various valuable items, also some food/medical necessities. Maybe an armory too..I don't know, I think it's fun to have so I opted to add it in our home. I'm currently researching hidden door options...
Forgot where I have read a story: the guy was afraid of the economy collapse - so he bought gold coins.
He wanted to stash those gold coins and used a contractor to dig out a space and build a “secret” hiding place at his rural “hideout” location.
After he hid $130k worth of gold coins in the secret place- he did not check on it for 2 years.
When he did- the gold coins were gone. The guy suspected a contractor- but could not prove anything...
My advice: don’t call it a “safe” room to an architect or contractor when building- call it a playroom for the children with the hidden door- or a future spa for yourself, or recording studio, etc
Then use like you intended- don’t tell anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top