U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:57 AM

21,670 posts, read 12,313,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Now I need to know: What is a summer kitchen?
Historically, they were a small separate outbuilding with a fireplace so that people (usually meaning servants or slaves) could continue to cook and do laundry with heated water over the summer without overheating the main house.

These days, I think the term was probably meant to refer to those sometimes very elaborate outdoor kitchens with a giant grill, outdoor fridge and other amenities. Far outside the price range for the vast majority of people

https://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/out...et-you-outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 08:59 AM

15,997 posts, read 27,182,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
In our area also referred to as an “outdoor kitchen”. Not sure how an appraiser looks at outdoor kitchens but in our area buyers are lukewarm on them because they tend to look run down after a few years of weather damage to appliances etc. Had a property in Newport OR on the beach with a outdoor kitchen - sea salt in the air, rain and sun made it look derelict in about 18 months.
OK, Outdoor kitchen. We have them in our area, but also the salt air is prevalent. I like them myself. We are planning on putting one in. Around here we can use them year round.

With amenities that someone likes, my thoughts are put things in that you like. Who cares what someone else likes. Build the home to your specifications and live in it. For us we don't plan on selling anytime soon. Hopefully we will never sell our home. I love living on the coast within a bike ride of the ocean. I love living in an area that has amazing weather year round.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:33 AM

269 posts, read 56,378 times
Quote:
OK, Outdoor kitchen. We have them in our area, but also the salt air is prevalent. I like them myself. We are planning on putting one in. Around here we can use them year round.

With amenities that someone likes, my thoughts are put things in that you like. Who cares what someone else likes. Build the home to your specifications and live in it. For us we don't plan on selling anytime soon. Hopefully we will never sell our home. I love living on the coast within a bike ride of the ocean. I love living in an area that has amazing weather year round.
Agree to a point. Depends on where one is in their life span and the trajectory of the area they live in. Where I am in my life span, I can add what I want, within reason, and not worry about recovering all of the dollars spent. Barring some unfortunate turn of events, I am likely in my present home for the foreseeable future. If one is upwardly mobile, may have to relocate for a job, in a area that is changing economic complexion to the downsides, then putting in amenities that won’t return their cost maybe short sighted. If one plans to stay in the house long enough to recover the cost thru enjoyment or the amenities are standard in the marketplace their home falls into then by all means do it.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM

299 posts, read 446,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Forgot where I have read a story: the guy was afraid of the economy collapse - so he bought gold coins.
He wanted to stash those gold coins and used a contractor to dig out a space and build a “secret” hiding place at his rural “hideout” location.
After he hid $130k worth of gold coins in the secret place- he did not check on it for 2 years.
When he did- the gold coins were gone. The guy suspected a contractor- but could not prove anything...
My advice: don’t call it a “safe” room to an architect or contractor when building- call it a playroom for the children with the hidden door- or a future spa for yourself, or recording studio, etc
Then use like you intended- don’t tell anyone.
Haha, good point. Just call it a "speakeasy" and say you're preparing for the next round of prohibition. If you have a high end liquor collection, hopefully your contractor doesn't drink.

OP - Murphy Door is an option, but I'd guess not a very good one given your price point (they would be considered more low-end and likely be more obvious). It should be relatively simple to get your builder to fabricate something custom. Obviously, a single random door-size opening in an odd spot might raise suspicion, so hopefully you can plan ahead to make it look completely natural.

I've seen some amazing bookcase/secret door built-ins on other websites (I think linking to it might get blocked here, but it sounds a lot like "House"). Essentially three bookcases in a row (or a wall of bookcases), where one was an operable door. Apparently there's plenty of tech now too to allow for biometric or wireless lock/unlock.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:56 PM

822 posts, read 639,554 times
Quote:

The central CA coastal area is very under-rated. Yes, it has nice and pleasant weather with less traffic and less pollution than NorCal and SoCal. I was looking for a home in Santa Maria in 2005 and now there's nothing below $400k.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:28 PM

18,863 posts, read 23,700,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
What amenities are considered in an appraisal and how much value do they add? For example, is a safe room considered an amenity and does it add value? How about a butler's pantry with quartz countertop and additional sink and dishwasher? A gym room, playroom and home theater?
A "safe room"? I don't even know what one is, much less would I think it added value. butler's pantry? Two dishwashers? A gym and a home theatre?

These are all things YOU like. Not everyone else needs or even wants them.

Kind of like an inground pool - which can work both ways. Only way more obscure.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:44 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,260,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A "safe room"? I don't even know what one is, much less would I think it added value. butler's pantry? Two dishwashers? A gym and a home theatre?

These are all things YOU like. Not everyone else needs or even wants them.

Kind of like an inground pool - which can work both ways. Only way more obscure.
A safe room is a place where you can hide when there is a threat of some sort. Generally they are for people who are afraid of break-ins or who live in tornado ridden areas.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:07 PM

5,448 posts, read 2,117,199 times
Ha ha . . . no appraisers I am aware of ever value that kind of stuff . . . it's mostly just basic rooms/sq. feet . . . you can point things out to them but who knows what they will do with it. Finishes are likely not considered.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:32 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,260,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
A safe room is a place where you can hide when there is a threat of some sort. Generally they are for people who are afraid of break-ins or who live in tornado ridden areas.
Apparently the OP doesn't know what a safe room is. Or thinks maybe she's giving it the name "safe room" when it's actually something else?

Old 10-04-2019, 06:03 PM

269 posts, read 56,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ha ha . . . no appraisers I am aware of ever value that kind of stuff . . . it's mostly just basic rooms/sq. feet . . . you can point things out to them but who knows what they will do with it. Finishes are likely not considered.
It also depends on the type of appraisal. My understanding is HELOC, 2nd mortgage appraisals tend to value things at a lower number than a purchase appraisal. Maybe not ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or