Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 2,877 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to evict a hoarder. Some general research says diagnosed or documented hoarders are a protected class. if not done right could be a legal nightmare.

Know someone who got cited for blocked paths to windows in the past a few times. Last year they were cited for hoarding and unsafe conditions all around, the apartment was condemned. After a meeting and some phone calls with town officials she was allowed to stay and given about a month to correct conditions. The cleaned most of the apartment minus one room but all had clear paths to windows and doors. The apartment manager gave them free storage units in the building basement. She has yet to empty them almost a year later and conditions are deteriorating in the apartment again. She is very difficult to deal with. A very abrasive person who is EASILY triggered to say the least.

A few meetings with apartment management, free storage units and a list of what the town wanted enough documentation to evict or threaten eviction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 02:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
^This person is not a hoarder. Don't ever say that word again. Don't go down that road.

You evict them for another lease violation, such as not paying the rent.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:29 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
You need to see if your state considers this a disability/handicap. And then what the law is on eviction in this situation. You can look it up online. I'd look yours up for you but you didn't list your state but you can do it easily now. Looked my own up though and that thing is now considered here a distinct psych disorder listed in the DSM. They say meaning a handicap. Hope I don't encounter this as an issue. Not paying rent would be simpler....and glad I haven't even had that issue.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 10-01-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 2,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
^This person is not a hoarder. Don't ever say that word again. Don't go down that road.

You evict them for another lease violation, such as not paying the rent.

That's what I've been reading and trying to tell them. You can still be evicted for lease violations. Including not paying for additional storage or creating a hazard to the entire apartment building with piles of flammable cardboard boxes all over the unit. Some sites say it has to be a hazard that directly affect others like a rodent or insect infestation(she had mouse and dropping issues as well)

Old 10-01-2019, 04:06 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You can't evict the mentally ill for being mentally ill, but you can evict them for creating an unsafe condition (fire hazard) and for endangering the lives of the other tenants.

I suggest an experienced eviction lawyer and turn it over to them to get the person out.

Many landlords are doing home inspections as part of the screening process before renting to a new tenant. The home inspection will catch the hoarder so that they can be rejected. Much easier to keep a bad tenant out than it is to get them out after they are already in.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:08 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4567address View Post
That's what I've been reading and trying to tell them. You can still be evicted for lease violations.

Reading and trying to tell WHO? The tenant?

Quote:
Including not paying for additional storage or creating a hazard to the entire apartment building with piles of flammable cardboard boxes all over the unit. Some sites say it has to be a hazard that directly affect others like a rodent or insect infestation(she had mouse and dropping issues as well)

What is your stake in all this?

Old 10-01-2019, 05:42 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Are you the landlord or a fellow tenant?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Is this a month to month? If so, just say you have plans to renovate the unit which will require it being empty, and serve the necessary notice.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:21 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
I lived in an apartment building with a hoarder. The landlord finally got her out, by the fire department repeatedly citing her for hazardous conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4567address View Post
That's what I've been reading and trying to tell them. You can still be evicted for lease violations. Including not paying for additional storage or creating a hazard to the entire apartment building with piles of flammable cardboard boxes all over the unit. Some sites say it has to be a hazard that directly affect others like a rodent or insect infestation(she had mouse and dropping issues as well)

Old 10-02-2019, 09:25 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
A rent increase is uaually all it takes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate