Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM

289 posts, read 221,247 times

Advertisements

I had a buyer that did two walkthroughs on a property that was being sold with an unusually extended close. The extended close was the seller’s request because it was a vacation home that had rentals paid thru the season. The first walkthrough was shortly after PSA acceptance and the buyer took lots of pictures of everything because the property was being sold furnished. The second was the morning of closing after the last seasonal rental was done. I remember the first walkthrough was quite a crowd, the second was just the buyer and wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 03:46 PM

349 posts, read 264,772 times
The final walk through is usually done the day of or the day before the closing. You shouldn't of had it done/scheduled a week early especially since you weren't fully moved out as that defeats the purpose. They can bring whoever they want to the walk through. You should of had the final walk through done closer to the closing date when you would be all moved out. Also, it's not necessary for the seller to be present for it. The final walk through is for the buyer and both agents to attend.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,583,340 times
Read your contract, and then move on with your life.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:28 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,667,874 times
OP, I apologize. I didn’t pay close enough attention to your post and the dates. Obviously, I missed the part about the walk through having been done. So, not sure I understand what you are asking re: legal language. The only language I can think of that would apply is the contract itself. Since it has already happened, are you thinking about the next time?

Old 10-03-2019, 05:13 PM

3,441 posts, read 2,777,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
The final walk through is usually done the day of or the day before the closing. You shouldn't of had it done/scheduled a week early especially since you weren't fully moved out as that defeats the purpose. They can bring whoever they want to the walk through. You should of had the final walk through done closer to the closing date when you would be all moved out. Also, it's not necessary for the seller to be present for it. The final walk through is for the buyer and both agents to attend.
I think you are confused. The OP is the seller. They don't scheduled the final walk through, the buyers and their agent do. They could have refused the walk through being so far ahead of closing, but that could have compromised things.

Why does it seem that many of the posters are blaming the seller?

Old 10-03-2019, 05:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,383,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonMars17 View Post
My husband & I recently sold our southern CA home to a young, single woman. We technically close on 10/8, however the final walk through with the buyer and her agent was on 10/2. Not a problem, as all requested repairs were complete.

We noticed during the final walk through that the buyer had a couple friends (and their very young children) attend the final walk through with her & her agent. Mind you, we are still living in the house at this point, and mostly out of boxes, so there are tools, boxes, paint and other items laying around that could be potentially hazardous to young children.

We felt that it was an invasion of privacy to invite others (strangers, who are not the buyers) into our home. We still technically live in and own the home for another week, so anything that happens in the house during this time is OUR liability. Additionally, this was not an open house, it was a final walk through and we felt the only people that should attend the final walk through are the buyer and the buyer's agent (and if needed, a home inspector).

We later called our agent to ask if this was normal or acceptable behavior, and they said yes, totally normal. My husband and I greatly disagree. We feel that friends & family should enter the home once the new buyer takes complete ownership of the house.

Is there any legal language around this type of situation? I see many articles and forums protecting the BUYER during the final walk though, but not many protecting the SELLER during the final walk through.

Any help, insights or advice is greatly appreciated!
I understand your feelings. You're right, you did not authorize any additional parties, and you were given no notice that any additional parties would be present.

You probably could have held the new buyer to it. Maybe even still sold the house if she was in love with it. Maybe not if the buyer isn't the type to "fall in love" with a house.

Buyers will sometimes surround themselves with people they trust, regardless if they are qualified to assess or make any kind of determination that the home is sound or not. Best friends will tag along and an inspector will be nowhere in sight. People are weird.

You can look up all the legalese and your rights and you'll probably see that you are completely vested in your rights to stop someone from entering. Just understand that at this point that absent any earnest money, the papers have not been signed. If you're not motivated and can afford to read her the riot act, then you'll probably do it, and even feel good. If you're motivated and can't afford to have this sale fall through... well...

Old 10-04-2019, 12:10 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,036,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonMars17 View Post
My husband & I recently sold our southern CA home to a young, single woman. We technically close on 10/8, however the final walk through with the buyer and her agent was on 10/2. Not a problem, as all requested repairs were complete.

We noticed during the final walk through that the buyer had a couple friends (and their very young children) attend the final walk through with her & her agent. Mind you, we are still living in the house at this point, and mostly out of boxes, so there are tools, boxes, paint and other items laying around that could be potentially hazardous to young children.

We felt that it was an invasion of privacy to invite others (strangers, who are not the buyers) into our home. We still technically live in and own the home for another week, so anything that happens in the house during this time is OUR liability. Additionally, this was not an open house, it was a final walk through and we felt the only people that should attend the final walk through are the buyer and the buyer's agent (and if needed, a home inspector).

We later called our agent to ask if this was normal or acceptable behavior, and they said yes, totally normal. My husband and I greatly disagree. We feel that friends & family should enter the home once the new buyer takes complete ownership of the house.

Is there any legal language around this type of situation? I see many articles and forums protecting the BUYER during the final walk though, but not many protecting the SELLER during the final walk through.

Any help, insights or advice is greatly appreciated!
One, wierd time for a final walk-through, as others have pointed out.

Two were you or your hisband there during the final walk-through? To me - and the buyers agents I've hired - that is inappropriate.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:30 AM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
I wouldn't lose any sleep if nothing was damaged or missing. The buyer was probably excited to show their new home to their family or good friends. Unconventional, yes, but not unheard of.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,737,263 times
You should have clarified whether the buyer's early 10/2 walk-through was considered the 'final walk-through.' Since all of the stipulated items were completed, it could have been, although it leaves the buyer in a lurch if items are then removed or changed. If it was a final walk-through, you should have received some type of letter or paperwork to that effect, stating that the buyer was satisfied that terms and conditions had been met.

If the buyer had simply wanted to show her friends the home prior to closing, that should have been clearly stated and allowed ... at your convenience, with your approval.

Since the house is/was still yours and technically occupied (at least by your things), the fact that you allowed the walk-through, without this clarification is on you. At the end of the day, no harm was apparently incurred, therefore, "no harm, no foul" ... except for your feelings, which are under your control, not theirs. Why fuss about it now?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:52 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,777,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You should have clarified whether the buyer's early 10/2 walk-through was considered the 'final walk-through.' Since all of the stipulated items were completed, it could have been, although it leaves the buyer in a lurch if items are then removed or changed. If it was a final walk-through, you should have received some type of letter or paperwork to that effect, stating that the buyer was satisfied that terms and conditions had been met.

If the buyer had simply wanted to show her friends the home prior to closing, that should have been clearly stated and allowed ... at your convenience, with your approval.

Since the house is/was still yours and technically occupied (at least by your things), the fact that you allowed the walk-through, without this clarification is on you. At the end of the day, no harm was apparently incurred, therefore, "no harm, no foul" ... except for your feelings, which are under your control, not theirs. Why fuss about it now?
The OP made it clear in the very first post that this was the final walk through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate