U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:47 AM

4,279 posts, read 7,544,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post

Two were you or your hisband there during the final walk-through? To me - and the buyers agents I've hired - that is inappropriate.
I’ve been involved in several walk throughs as both buyer and seller. No need for seller to be there, because in “logical” world, there is nothing left in the house belonging to the seller. In a couple instances, I was 300 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 10:54 AM

359 posts, read 223,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeonMars17 View Post
We later called our agent to ask if this was normal or acceptable behavior, and they said yes, totally normal.
Rude, therefore not acceptable, but your agent isn't gonna admit that. I'm sure your agent is taking the "no-harm, no-foul" attitude just to keep things moving along.

(Yes, I could understand if the young, single buyer brought a parent along or maybe her significant other, but definitely no children unless it was her own infant in a carrier.)

I'm in SoCal, and I can totally picture people doing this. People seem to bring the entire family *everywhere* they go these days (including the dog sometimes) with no regard to what's polite or appropriate.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:23 AM

8,940 posts, read 11,127,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
The OP made it clear in the very first post that this was the final walk through.
I read that too, however, a walk through one week before closing and before the seller has even removed their belongings, sounds illogically "final." Additionally, if this was the FINAL scheduled walk through - to which the buyer is certainly entitled, it makes no sense for the seller to be so upset. Since the OP has not returned to clarify, we really don't know.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 865,411 times
Quote:
My husband & I recently sold our southern CA home to a young, single woman. We technically close on 10/8, however the final walk through with the buyer and her agent was on 10/2. Not a problem, as all requested repairs were complete.

We noticed during the final walk through that the buyer had a couple friends (and their very young children) attend the final walk through with her & her agent. Mind you, we are still living in the house at this point, and mostly out of boxes, so there are tools, boxes, paint and other items laying around that could be potentially hazardous to young children.

We felt that it was an invasion of privacy to invite others (strangers, who are not the buyers) into our home. We still technically live in and own the home for another week, so anything that happens in the house during this time is OUR liability. Additionally, this was not an open house, it was a final walk through and we felt the only people that should attend the final walk through are the buyer and the buyer's agent (and if needed, a home inspector).

We later called our agent to ask if this was normal or acceptable behavior, and they said yes, totally normal. My husband and I greatly disagree. We feel that friends & family should enter the home once the new buyer takes complete ownership of the house.

Is there any legal language around this type of situation? I see many articles and forums protecting the BUYER during the final walk though, but not many protecting the SELLER during the final walk through.

Any help, insights or advice is greatly appreciated!
It is common though not something I have done. Walk through's are typically done the day before or morning of closing which is what you should have required. You should have told your agent it wasn't convenient for you since you were still packing up. When we sold our last house the couple wanted to come through early to do "measurements" with family and friends. We said no even though we weren't living there because we still had stuff there even though it was only blow up mattresses and a few other items, plus it wasn't broom swept yet. They got their walk through the day before. This is what you should have required. Let it go.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:11 PM

199 posts, read 47,527 times
Quote:
My husband & I recently sold our southern CA home to a young, single woman.

Any help, insights or advice is greatly appreciated!
She was excited because it was her first house? She wanted to show it off? People don't buy houses every day and there is not "A Final Walk Through for Dummies" book, so on a scale of 1 to 10 to be upset about I would rate this a -2. It is also a win-win. You get to sell your house and you also get to be upset at this young woman.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:03 AM

2,437 posts, read 924,064 times
I think you should ream the buyer out for her lack of courtesy, and maybe she will feel so badly, she wont close.

You realize how stupid that sounds?

The odd part is doing a final walk thru that early. She is taking on more risk, that you wont damage the place during the next week, or remove a fixture like a stove.
She's excited and brought a couple with kids. No one got hurt or damaged anything. Were they letting the kids run haywire thru the house? If not, then no harm done, even if having other people there isnt the best idea.
Stop making a big deal about it, go close on your house and move on. Life's too short.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:05 AM

8,098 posts, read 10,906,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
First that is a weird time to do the walkthrough. That was too early.

Second, it is not normal to bring friends with kids with you. I've seen first-timers have mom and dad come through with them, or a best friend (no kids), but I've never seen anyone think it was okay to bring kids to a situation like that. There is an expectation of common decency just like there isn't any verbiage in your contract about setting up appointments and such. I highly doubt there is legal language in your contract about it.
I agree but that is just not all that common these days.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

1,897 posts, read 679,003 times
So what was the final decision?

Old Today, 05:11 AM

2,944 posts, read 1,481,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
One, wierd time for a final walk-through, as others have pointed out.

Two were you or your hisband there during the final walk-through? To me - and the buyers agents I've hired - that is inappropriate.
Wow, glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. why was op there? anyhoo this is one of those non issues that I don't get why folks get their knickers in a knot over. Seriously Op why is this a problem??

So what if they had a friend with them, they most likely where very excited, who knows maybe this was an out of town friend who she wanted to show the house too. there are 100 thousand scenarios.

Point being, you are a seller, you want things to go smoothly and after going through the selling process I would think letting a few extra feet walk through your house the least of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or