U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

3,864 posts, read 9,416,944 times

Advertisements

I vote for luxury vinyl planks like these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...ring/999957675

It's about $1.00/square foot. I did the entire downstairs with these. They are super easy and self stick. I've had them in one room for 4 years and they are holding up great. I laid over concrete slab and wood subfloor and over old linoleum. It only took me a couple of days.

The hardest part, by far, was removing carpet and the carpet glue. Also, the floor has to be completely smooth, no dust or it will eventually show. Oddly enough, the lines from the linoleum did not show thru. I suspect because it was so old it was probably worn down.

Upstairs, I laid very cheap carpet. I have an 1900 sq foot house. The entire downstairs was done in vinyl planks and I spent under $500. I did carpet on the stairs and second floor (except for bathrooms) and spent a total of $1,000, with installation.

My house did not sell (for other reasons, long story); but I did get lots of compliments on the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

29,283 posts, read 63,660,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susand123 View Post
If renting to another tenant or selling to another landlord,
it seems that carpet and/or laminate flooring would be sufficient, does that sound about right?
Nope. NOTHING changed at all might be sufficient... (eg a quality pro shampoo job).
Carpet might still be needed in one or two rooms. Cheaper carpet.

Quote:
If selling to another buyer, it would seem that hardwood would net a better return, no?
Nope. The CHANGE OVER is not worth the expense on spec. The buyer gets to make those choices.
Clean and whole and inline with comparable's on YOUR street in N NJ (that should mean carpet)

Quote:
I get the feeling that laminate flooring (of any sort) would come across as being cheap.
Correct. Because they are cheap. Cheap carpeting costs even less.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

8,606 posts, read 6,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Most buyers hate carpet but it all depends on the price point. If it were me, I would carpet it with some neutral builder grade carpeting and get it sold.
I don't care for carpet myself, but mostly that's because it gets gross, fast. If it isn't gross I can live with it. Much of the objection to carpets is also in main floor living areas, where people and pets eat, drink, entertain, and proceed rapidly from the outdoors to the carpets. In the bedrooms, the upstairs area, which see less shoe traffic and less opportunity for mud and stains, it's less of an objection.

I am not a realtor. But I think that the smoothest path to selling (anything, from a house to a Vacuum) is to eliminate as many objections as one can with minimal investment of time or money.

Buyers may not like carpet...But they're not very likely to balk at bedroom carpets that are brand new. They could well balk at ratty carpets, and a flooring allowance merely means that they have to do the legwork.

It's like paint. Sure, agreeable gray may not be your first color choice, or your buyers. But "Agreeable Gray" is a lot more "Agreeable" than the "Elegant Eggshell" that has marks or stains or imperfections and therefore looks tired.

I guess a lot of it depends on the rest of the house. If its all fresh and new only the carpet is gross, replace it with carpet. If it's a bit dated then don't worry too much.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

5,732 posts, read 2,649,633 times
I would replace carpet if it looks in the least bit worn. Anything that buyers think they'll have to do themselves will put off a certain fraction of potential buyers. Carpet is cheap enough that showing a house with absolutely brand new pristine carpet is in my opinion a minimum. As to whether you should consider upgrading from carpet, now that will depend on what the comparable properties around you have.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

3,864 posts, read 9,416,944 times
Also, buyers won't just ding you for the cost to replace. They're going to expect to be reimbursed for the headache factor, too.

Do you have the money or access to credit to replace? If not, the choice is obvious.

Old Today, 01:21 PM

15 posts, read 16,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Also, buyers won't just ding you for the cost to replace. They're going to expect to be reimbursed for the headache factor, too.

Do you have the money or access to credit to replace? If not, the choice is obvious.
Yes, but my main issue is timing. Want to get the unit out on the market by month's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or