Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:05 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

No to wood flooring.

Carpet and laminate work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 03:37 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
"Luxury Vinyl" seems to be the newest non-hardwood option. Comes in different styles and price points. Unless you're trying to match the flooring in other areas, maybe consider something like that...?
I kinda like the newer vinyl flooring, esp for rentals. You can get it waterproof so it'll work in kitchens and bathrooms and you can float the floor so replacing damaged areas is more straight forward. Can mark up easier than engineered and I'm not sure how it'll do long term WRT sun/fading. Both a plus and a minus is that while it looks nice and it's hard to tell it's vinyl visually, once you step on it or feel it, you can def tell the difference. I personally prefer it over wood look tile as it's not as hard on one's legs and is more "forgiving".

Old 10-07-2019, 03:52 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Clean whatever is there and over out a credit toward closing costs or price it right!

Old 10-07-2019, 05:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
depends upon which is your highest priority.

1. sell fast? carpet.
2. top dollar? laminate.
no to hardwood. in our experience,
hardwood buyers are too picky.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 PM

25 posts, read 40,799 times
All great feedback.

If renting to another tenant or selling to another landlord, it seems that carpet and/or laminate flooring would be sufficient, does that sound about right?

If selling to another buyer, it would seem that hardwood would net a better return, no? For some reason, I get the feeling that laminate flooring (or LVP, Luxury Vinyl Plank) would come across as being cheap.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
It sounds like you are assuming that you cannot sell the property or must significantly discount the price unless you replace the carpet. (Is the realtor telling you this?) - But, who knows what a potential buyer will want?

-- If you are in a relatively good location and market, and the property is otherwise in better condition than the carpet, why not put it on the market "as is" and see what happens?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
I am exactly in the same position as OP, investment house living room needs new flooring, frayed stained carpet there now.
My realtor suggested a credit for flooring with full price offer rather than refloor but I know it will lower the price a lot when buyers see bad carpet.

If refloored with vinyl or laminate the dining room and front door entry adjacent would also have to be done plus kitchen. That quote was $3500 which is not happening. So new carpet going in for $800. New owner can decide when and what to do differently. I'm the 3rd owner who left things as they are.

The sad thing is that original terrazzo is under everything, carpet strip nailed into perimeter (would need repair) and tile put above it in other rooms. There isn't anyone that restores/repairs terrazzo in my small town. I love terrazzo, my brother had his restored recently but he's in an area with experts.

OP: in my area LVP is "quality" not cheap. People are impressed by it. In my own home I'm putting it in the laundry room but many do their whole home with it.

These are financial decision not emotional ones.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
I’d carpet the bedrooms and laminate the rest.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It sounds like you are assuming that you cannot sell the property or must significantly discount the price unless you replace the carpet. (Is the realtor telling you this?) - But, who knows what a potential buyer will want?

-- If you are in a relatively good location and market, and the property is otherwise in better condition than the carpet, why not put it on the market "as is" and see what happens?
My experience when I was a realtor is buyers like new flooring and it’s probably better to replace flooring than offer flooring allowance

It’s an economic decision will spending on flooring get you a greater return than the cost of the flooring.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:41 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
If it's a hot market, just clean the carpet and leave enough room in the price that you can discount it a bit when they complain. Don't already lower the price since they'll still want a discount when they see it. They will have to actually go out and look at the house before they see the carpet, so just clean it and price the house as if the carpet was nice and then give them a discount if they ask for one. Who knows, maybe they will just pay the price and not even ask for a discount. You can't tell what a buyer is gonna want, so don't go too far overboard trying to figure it out.

Another option could be to clean the carpet and then put in some carpet samples to let the new buyer pick the carpet. List price with new carpet of their choice or let them come up with a new option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate