U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 486 times

Advertisements

I am aware that Real estate agents can put signs outside our subdivision and they will typically put them near the entrance gate. Recently an agent put up a large post in ground sign to the side of our house, away from where the signs are typically placed. This is on the other side of the subdivision stucco/wrought iron fence from our house but directly to the side of our house so it looks as if our house is the one for sale. The agent additionally has two regular signs in front of the gates as well, one on each side, as well as a sign in front of the house that's for sale and one large banner behind the house as it backs to a busy street. We were annoyed by the four signs to begin with as we are a small subdivision of only 12 houses and it looks trashy, but the 5th sign (5 signs!!)placed to the side of our house has sent me over the edge. Also, not sure why an agent would want to have so many signs as it looks like half of the subdivision is for sale. We have had our home broken into once and items stolen from the yard twice. I am very concerned that having a for sale sign to the side of our house will invite unwanted activity to our house. My husband called the listing agent and asked her if she could remove her sign and she became very defensive and refused. She stated it was legal for her to put her sign there and she is leaving it. Is there anything we can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 PM

5,394 posts, read 8,369,824 times
Your HOA probably has signage rules and restrictions. You can check those to see if the rules are being followed and, if not, you can contact the HOA who can then contact the property owner and tell him/her to rein in the agent.

Other than that, if the signs aren’t on your property, you really have no say in it. You might ask the property owner to tell the agent to ease up a bit.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:27 PM

10,172 posts, read 7,617,560 times
you should call your friend the neighbor, and let them tackle their agent on clarity of "Which house IS for sale?"

Old 10-08-2019, 08:52 PM

17,735 posts, read 18,009,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Your HOA probably has signage rules and restrictions. You can check those to see if the rules are being followed and, if not, you can contact the HOA who can then contact the property owner and tell him/her to rein in the agent.

Other than that, if the signs arenít on your property, you really have no say in it. You might ask the property owner to tell the agent to ease up a bit.
Great points.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 PM

3,317 posts, read 4,740,385 times
You might also contact your local code enforcement to see if 5 signs in a yard is even legal. In our area, 2 is the limit and they cannot be in a county right of way.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 681,226 times
Yes, your HOA rules could solve the problem easily. Just have to get someone to deal with it. And I understand in several communities in your area they are quick to keep the place neat. I have a niece in a nice community in your area and they are allowed one sign for sale but not for other things. That should mean the neighbor is dealt with by the local govt or by the hoa and not you face to face.

Now, near us, there is a nice house for sale with the tiniest sign with the lettering not really clear from the road and no big company name on display. And it is with a company, not by owner. The opposite extreme.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM

11,425 posts, read 8,155,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmastergardener View Post
I am aware that Real estate agents can put signs outside our subdivision and they will typically put them near the entrance gate. Recently an agent put up a large post in ground sign to the side of our house, away from where the signs are typically placed. This is on the other side of the subdivision stucco/wrought iron fence from our house but directly to the side of our house so it looks as if our house is the one for sale. The agent additionally has two regular signs in front of the gates as well, one on each side, as well as a sign in front of the house that's for sale and one large banner behind the house as it backs to a busy street. We were annoyed by the four signs to begin with as we are a small subdivision of only 12 houses and it looks trashy, but the 5th sign (5 signs!!)placed to the side of our house has sent me over the edge. Also, not sure why an agent would want to have so many signs as it looks like half of the subdivision is for sale. We have had our home broken into once and items stolen from the yard twice. I am very concerned that having a for sale sign to the side of our house will invite unwanted activity to our house. My husband called the listing agent and asked her if she could remove her sign and she became very defensive and refused. She stated it was legal for her to put her sign there and she is leaving it. Is there anything we can do?
I would cover it with a trash bag and duct tape.

or at lest write the address of the house or put the womans name and email on there.

or buy a shovel

Old 10-09-2019, 09:48 AM

158 posts, read 72,576 times
Just move the sign yourself.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 AM

8,574 posts, read 5,280,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
I wouldn't, those things are heavy.

I like the idea of putting a black plastic trash bag over it and duct taping it in place.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:16 AM

1,421 posts, read 2,118,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Might want to be careful with moving or defacing the sign as you could be breaking the law depending on who exactly owns the land the sign is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or