Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times

Advertisements

I just got back from the local mom and pop grocery store where I found the BEST staging gaget, a SMORES kit for my charcoal bbq area. I think i've gone staging crazy. Some friends came to visit last weekend so I set up/staged my deck and patio area like I do every time there's a showing or open house and they (my friends) laughed at my work. I have throw pillows and a blanket "casually" thrown on/over my outdoor couch, water in a party bucket, outdoor table set for a casual dinner and I even placed some fish food in a bowl and put it on the bench in front of my pond.

Have I gone completely insane with the smores kit?!?!? WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SELL!

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Acutally it's a great idea.

I think part of staging should include "indicating" to people how to use your house.

If you have a lot of trees put out a bird book and some binoculars, or if you have a small deck off the master, make some french press and put out a couple of mugs to get people thinking about sitting outside for morning coffee.

I have made fresh bread in gourmet kitchens that come out before showings, and are sitting on their wire racks cooling off.

I think it's a great idea actually. I'll have to add it to my list!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM

165 posts, read 812,111 times
I recently saw a FSBO. It was a second showing and this time the sellers were home. They turned on the music on the outdoor speakers - I love that and hadn't noticed on the first showing the speakers were out there.

They then opened a bottle of wine in the afternoon and sat in some chairs in the front lawn while we finished looking at the place.

Those are my kind of people!

As for the smores.... well, the wine is more appealing to me, but I think you would have snagged the kids with the smores! ;-)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
We have a couple coming by tomorrow with their agent for a second look. I was thinking about baking some cookies before they come...they are an older couple, so i was thinking maybe she is a grandma, who bakes cookies? also we have our patio table and chairs out from under back patio onto our grass, which is artificial but awesome, any ideas on dressing the table up? here is a picture
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/bboyack/Canonpics548.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
We have a couple coming by tomorrow with their agent for a second look. I was thinking about baking some cookies before they come...they are an older couple, so i was thinking maybe she is a grandma, who bakes cookies? also we have our patio table and chairs out from under back patio onto our grass, which is artificial but awesome, any ideas on dressing the table up? here is a picture
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/bboyack/Canonpics548.jpg (broken link)
An umbrella would be nice. Maybe, a glass pitcher of lemonade and some glasses?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 AM

I was thinking the umbrella...we had one at one point, but in our last house in Northern CA a windstorm came up, grabbed the umbrella and it flew over the house and bent when we moved here, we had the table under the patio so didn't need an umbrella...maybe for now we will move the table back under the patio..

i think setting with glasses and some lemonade would be a great idea...to go with those cookies! would it be dumb to leave a note that says please enjoy some cookies and lemonade on the patio? There is also a ceiling fan out there...that would give them a chance to enjoy the backyard and birds, and write that offer up!

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Quote:
An umbrella would be nice.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:27 AM

IF these people come by to look again today, and as always, that's a big IF, I don't have time to run out and get an umbrella unless they come this afternoon...in that case should I move the table and chairs back under the patio and stage it there, it would be in the shade..

thanks for all your help. I have been up since 1:30 a.m., went to bed about 11. This is happening all the time, I tried to go back to bed about 3 and felt like I was going to jump out of my skin..so I got up....we need to sell this place, the stress is starting to get to me, I guess...

Sorry, rambling...

Old 04-25-2008, 06:49 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
good luck Barb... and ever yone else, for a weekend of showings. We have an open house on Sun, our first one since listing 6 weeks ago. I haven't wanted to do one as we live near a commercial strip and I know we'll get lots of looky loos... but am of the mindset that it can't hurt! I think i'm going to bake cookies and do some bkyrd staging too. Thanks for the ideas. Dogmom- also, don't forget about fresh flowers and/or flowering plants. I planted some annuals and added color to my pots, I think that helps it feel like spring too.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I was thinking the umbrella...we had one at one point, but in our last house in Northern CA a windstorm came up, grabbed the umbrella and it flew over the house and bent when we moved here, we had the table under the patio so didn't need an umbrella...maybe for now we will move the table back under the patio..

i think setting with glasses and some lemonade would be a great idea...to go with those cookies! would it be dumb to leave a note that says please enjoy some cookies and lemonade on the patio? There is also a ceiling fan out there...that would give them a chance to enjoy the backyard and birds, and write that offer up!

Thanks for your help!
No it wouldn't be dumb at all. We did that at a showing and they came back for a second showing and are thinking about it now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate