Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM

62 posts, read 316,150 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
let me explain my situation. I got pre-approval from a mortgage broker who was a friend of the family. At the time I didn't have an Real Estate Agent at the time and I went with the agent at his office. After a month I've gone to only 3 showings, a total of 3 properties shes found and 10 that I've found, the last two showings were all properties I've found myself. I've only gotten 2 emails from her suggesting 6 properties this entire time, None of which were either the types of houses I'd asked for or the area. I have not signed a buyers contract with anyone and as much as I like her as a person I don't feel that shes a very organized agent or that shes doing much for me when it comes to finding a place. What is the best way to let go of an agent when you want to keep the mortgage broker? I think I need to find another agent whose a bit more dedicated but I also don't want to disrespect this agent in any way or what work she may have done for me. So my question is what is the way you guys prefer to have a parting of ways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
The part I don't understand is why you want to keep the broker?
If you haven't signed anything you are free to go where ever you want to go.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 AM

62 posts, read 316,150 times
I remember being told before that every time you get pre-approved it can show up on your credit report unless you have it within a 30 day time fame and I don't want to have it adversely affect my ability to get pre-approved if I go to a diffrent mortgage broker.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:22 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
There is no easy way to let the agent go except just tell her. It would be good for her to know so she will be more responsive in the future.. if not she'll never know. If you like the mortgage broker, that should have no affect - if they are professional.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:47 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celes_18 View Post
Hello everyone,<SNIP>What is the best way to let go of an agent when you want to keep the mortgage broker? I think I need to find another agent whose a bit more dedicated but I also don't want to disrespect this agent in any way or what work she may have done for me. So my question is what is the way you guys prefer to have a parting of ways?
Either a phone call or an e-mail, whichever you prefer. "Thanks for your time & effort, but we have decided that we are best represented by some other agent. Have a nice day." Never even mention the mortgage pre-approval, as that has nothing do do with yru choice of real estate agents. UNLESS your mortgage preapproval was written by your real estate agent. In that case, it's legally irellevent, but might get dicey on a personal level.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I agree with Bill's response. Make it short and sweet.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
We let a realtor go once. He started getting all desperate sounding, as if this was some lover's breakup. I just kept repeating, thank you for your time, we've decided to look elsewhere...

Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celes_18 View Post
Hello everyone,
let me explain my situation. I got pre-approval from a mortgage broker who was a friend of the family. At the time I didn't have an Real Estate Agent at the time and I went with the agent at his office. After a month I've gone to only 3 showings, a total of 3 properties shes found and 10 that I've found, the last two showings were all properties I've found myself. I've only gotten 2 emails from her suggesting 6 properties this entire time, None of which were either the types of houses I'd asked for or the area. I have not signed a buyers contract with anyone and as much as I like her as a person I don't feel that shes a very organized agent or that shes doing much for me when it comes to finding a place. What is the best way to let go of an agent when you want to keep the mortgage broker? I think I need to find another agent whose a bit more dedicated but I also don't want to disrespect this agent in any way or what work she may have done for me. So my question is what is the way you guys prefer to have a parting of ways?
The question is, did you sign a buyers agent agreement with the one showing you the properties? If no, I dont see a reason to really tell them anything.. call another agent and continue.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,521 times
Yeah be prepared for a line of excuses and pleading requests. :-) Like the pro's have told ya, short and sweet. Although Pghquest is right in that you don't have to tell her poopie squat, it's courtesy and keeps your good karma in check. I encourage you to take a week and interview several agents. It's definitely worth it. Best of luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
I wouldn't make excuses at all. If someone does not want to work with you, you are better off to end the relationship. No one will be happy in this situation in the long run. I would at least send an email explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate