Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,621 times

Advertisements

Can I just say that I hate HGTV (and many Realtors) for promulgating the notion to America that if you don't have granite and stainless steel in your kitchen, your house is a piece of ***?

Perhaps in some parts of the country it is cheaper to buy and install these kinds of things. But where I live, in the DC area, it would cost UNTOLD TENS OF THOUSANDS to put granite, cherrywood and stainless steel in a 1953 kitchen. And of course there's other amenities that are now considered "standard", like rainforest showerheads, walk-in closets, 2-car garages, extra-deep soaking tubs, etc. I highly resent the fact that only two years ago, I could have sold my house in 24 hours, without a speck of granite anywhere in the vicinity. Now, I hear people saying that my house (which is immaculately maintained but modest) doesn't have granite, doesn't have stainless, doesn't have this, doesn't have that. Well, to those buyers I say: If it had that, trust me, it would be priced 50k higher, because that's what it would cost to GET THAT INSTALLED!

In addition, I think it's a travesty that in this age of dwindling resources, skyrocketing prices, inflation, recession, and on and on, people are insisting on raping a mountain and emptying our rivers and lakes in order to have granite and the water to fill a soaking tub in their home. People should just be thankful that they can buy a home in this market, and get a freaking grip!

GRANITE AND STAINLESS ARE NOT STANDARD!!!!!!!!! IT'S GLUTTONY!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
IMHO, it's not Realtors who are perpetuating the holy trinity (granite, stainless & hardwood) - it's HGTV and all home shows, magazines and websites.

I cannot tell you how many times I've shown a home that has updated mechanicals and has been wonderfully maintained, but because it doesn't contain the holy trinity it's considered a fixer upper by buyers.

Drives me up a flippin' wall.

People - especially first time homebuyers in my experience - will expect high end materials in 100K homes. It's insane.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
It is only standard for high end homes, IMO. The homes I buy and rent out are not having these upgrades. I have seen very cheap homes (new build '5, short sales and foreclosures. priced from the $ 150K) that had granite but the rest looked like .... So to me I rather see other upgrades than granite. I was even told at the Home Depot to be careful buying a home with granite, because if it is not taken care off as it should it can be a hazard for bacteria and illnesses.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
People - especially first time homebuyers in my experience - will expect high end materials in 100K homes. It's insane.
I've met some of those people. They drive me nuts too. When I bought my first home 2 years ago I knew going in that my price point did not afford me the "luxury" of granite and stainless. I was realisitce about my expectations and more than happy to buy a house with traditional laminate countertops and black or white surfaced appliances.

I agree that the obsession with granite and stainless is a bit strange. I wonder what people will think of those in about 10 years?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfime View Post
Can I just say that I hate HGTV (and many Realtors) for promulgating the notion to America that if you don't have granite and stainless steel in your kitchen, your house is a piece of ***?

Perhaps in some parts of the country it is cheaper to buy and install these kinds of things. But where I live, in the DC area, it would cost UNTOLD TENS OF THOUSANDS to put granite, cherrywood and stainless steel in a 1953 kitchen. And of course there's other amenities that are now considered "standard", like rainforest showerheads, walk-in closets, 2-car garages, extra-deep soaking tubs, etc. I highly resent the fact that only two years ago, I could have sold my house in 24 hours, without a speck of granite anywhere in the vicinity. Now, I hear people saying that my house (which is immaculately maintained but modest) doesn't have granite, doesn't have stainless, doesn't have this, doesn't have that. Well, to those buyers I say: If it had that, trust me, it would be priced 50k higher, because that's what it would cost to GET THAT INSTALLED!

In addition, I think it's a travesty that in this age of dwindling resources, skyrocketing prices, inflation, recession, and on and on, people are insisting on raping a mountain and emptying our rivers and lakes in order to have granite and the water to fill a soaking tub in their home. People should just be thankful that they can buy a home in this market, and get a freaking grip!

GRANITE AND STAINLESS ARE NOT STANDARD!!!!!!!!! IT'S GLUTTONY!!!!!
If you're trying to sell a home right now, you have my sympathies. But, just to clarify, HGTV's 24-hour infomercial for granite countertops isn't the reason you're having trouble selling. And buyers aren't in a very "thankful" or grateful mood at the moment. I think The sellers had their feeding frenzy.. a very, long destructive feeding frenzy where houses sold in 24 hours because no one was going to pay anyway.. the sellers got to cash out first! KA-CHING! This was pretty much at the expense of the buyers. Now it's their turn. They're insisting on granite, cherrywood, cabinets (you forgot to mention the tavertine, hardwood, slate) because they can. Oh, and be prepared to accept 20 percent off list too. No use getting mad about it. It's not going to help your efforts much.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Quote:
I wonder what people will think of those in about 10 years?
I've read a few articles that say stainless is already on the way out...

Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
You are quite right-on. I run into the same thing. On the HGTV shows they show or the Flip This House show they show people installing a kitchen for $800. Then when I walk into a home and ask their budget for their new kitchen they think they can get a whole new kitchen for the same price a family dinner.

Sure you can buy an $800 kitchen from Home Depot. It is unfinished birch door and faceframe and the rest of the carcase is made out of corrugated cardboard. Then you have to paint it. Like every Joe Blow homeowner has a airless sprayer laying around let alone know how to use it.

Maybe the granite is not as bad as you imagine. I no longer do high end kitchens because the wealthy are tighter then the poor. The average 2500 sqft home, that kitchen should cost about $3500 for standard granite. Standard meaning basic color and standard bullnose edge with 4" backsplash.

Yes buyers demand granite today. I personally dont even like it. It is dirty and not food safe. But I am alone in that opinion. Solid surface is nicer with more choices available.

Besides, in this housing market even if you put a lfetime team of maids and chefs to go with the house it will not sell.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:45 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
I agree with the OP. I've seen homes with cheap stainless appliances that advertise in bold print "WE HAVE STAINLESS!". These appliances are bottom of the barrel big box models that will last about 4-5 years. Some buyers out there are going for the look while others are looking for the structural/mechaincal highlights of the house. Hopefully you'll find someone who appreciates a well maintained home over the look of stainless appliances.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,814 times
Granite and stainless are pretty much standard here in SoCal - even the tiniest of homes. I personally agree with desertsun that it is dirty, and I would much prefer some of the nice manufactured stones like corian and quartz. On the otherhand, I am amazed at the high end homes we have looked at in CT where we are moving that have the cheap laminate countertops.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,621 times
I have a friend who is trying to sell his house in a VERY DESIRABLE and EXPENSIVE neighborhood in a DC suburb (500k and up). His Realtor is trying to tell him that without granite and stainless, his house is not gonna sell. Isn't it the job of the Realtor to sell the house as it is (it's very well maintained; poor him, he decided to spend 15k on new Trane A/C and furnace INSTEAD OF spending it on GRANITE!!??!!), without the owner having to incur 50k in costs??? I thought that's what you pay 20k to a Realtor for! If I had travertine bathrooms and a granite/stainless kitchen, I could sell it myself w/out a Realtor (assuming it was priced right, of course)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate