Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:51 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,795 times

Advertisements

We are having our appraisal tomorrow. I was just curious as to what all they look at. The house will be "show" ready but I didn't know if there was anything I should pay special attention to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:23 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Just make sure there isn't any obvious damage to the house. You shouldn't have to worry about having it show ready. They're going to be doing most of the work off the comps and just looking at your house to see if it matches up, is better than/worse than the comps.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM

With the comps we are going to be pushing it to for things to work out. That is why I want to make sure everything is as perfect as it can and I don't miss something they may specifically look at.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
If they are coming inside, they are looking for condition and room sizes and if things that are there that were said to be there...not if everything is clean and in order. I guess things have changed because the only time I have had an appraiser go inside the house was when it was brand new. They usually just look at the outside and take pictures and then take pictures of the comps in the area. If the house looks worn or run down, that will reflect in the comps.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM

208 posts, read 872,339 times
Question comps

The idea of comps in my small town is driving me crazy-the only small houses that have been sold and are up for sale in our area are older manufactured homes or extreme fixer-uppers.The other houses are much bigger and going for 100,000+ over our price.We will be putting our house on the market in 6 weeks.Scary.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:24 PM

We had the appraisal this morning. It was the owner of the company and the appraisor. They were here about 45 mins. Chatted with my realtor, who gave them some better comps to use. They looked around all of the inside and outside and commented on how nicely maintained it was. They then enjoyed the fresh cinnamon rolls and OJ we had for them. They will have everything done this afternoon. We should hear something from the lender today or tomorrow at the latest.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,443 times
Well best of luck with it! Let us know!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones15 View Post
Chatted with my realtor, who gave them some better comps to use.
Why are they better? Why didn't the appraiser already have all that data?

Quote:
.........commented on how nicely maintained it was.
Extraneous comments cause problems. The appraiers are there to view the property and it's condition, not chit chat.

Quote:
..........enjoyed the fresh cinnamon rolls and OJ we had for them.
This is nice of you to offer. I have a problem with them accepting it......

Quote:
They will have everything done this afternoon.
That quick, eh? Gives them lots of time for sufficient research and verify data, doesn't it?

Quote:
We should hear something from the lender today or tomorrow at the latest.
Wow....that quick?

I would probably fire any appraiser who worked for me who acted like that and made that kind of promise.

Did you pay for the appraisal, did the borrower pay for it, or is it going to be paid at closing?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Appraisers in my area know the game. They are gracious.

And then they go back and do what they do, based upon the facts.

When the numbers work, everyone pats themselves on the back for having influenced the outcome.

And when the numbers don't work, the same people blame it on the incompetence of the appriaser.

At the end of the day, it's one person's opinion and rarely will two appraisals agree.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Why are they better? Why didn't the appraiser already have all that data?

Extraneous comments cause problems. The appraiers are there to view the property and it's condition, not chit chat.

This is nice of you to offer. I have a problem with them accepting it......

That quick, eh? Gives them lots of time for sufficient research and verify data, doesn't it?

Wow....that quick?

I would probably fire any appraiser who worked for me who acted like that and made that kind of promise.

Did you pay for the appraisal, did the borrower pay for it, or is it going to be paid at closing?

1 - Every single house in my area we could use as comps are all foreclosures. We are not. Generally a foreclosure wouldn't be considered a comp but since that is all there is we are able to expand the perimeter of our search. It was suggested by people on here plus other realtors for our realtor to have some comps on hand. It isn't like she told them those are the comps that should use. My realtor is working for me so I don't see a problem with her looking up her own comps.

2 - My realtor didn't ask for chit chat. There were 2 guys that came and she overheard the comment and just passed it on to us. It wasn't a comment that was directed to her.

3 - I have snacks at all showings/open houses. Any time my realtor is going to be sitting around my house it is common courtesy I feel to offer something. I would do it for anyone.

As far as the time line for getting the appraisal back. My understanding is they have done a desk appraisal already and coming to the home is just to verify info and to make sure nothing was missed. They had already pulled comps and had information they need on our home and were visually confirming it. I may be saying it incorrectly but that was the basics the way it was told to me. They also have a deadline to have the information turned back in which is end of business tomorrow. I don't set the deadlines!! I'm just going off of what was told to my realtor. What difference is it if they get back to the office and actually work and get the appraisal wrapped up or let it sit on their desk for a week before they decide to pick it back up to finish it. A couple day turn around seems pretty standard to others I have talked with. We are the seller and the buyer is the one paying for the appraisal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate