Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
We had a couple who looked at our house say:
1]didn't like master shower
2]didn't like the windows
3]the house was too open,noise might wake the kids
4]it faced the wrong direction
All this during our first open house.Our Realtor thought they were NOT interested.They ended up putting in a full priced offer,only to raise it another $15,000 when they found out someone else put in a bid as well!Guess it wasn't so bad after all!
I love it, lol! Glad you got the last laugh on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
What is THE most silly/annoying/dumb/shocking/fill-in-the-blank-adjective piece of feedback you've ever received from a showing???? This outta be fun! (hat tip DJ)
BTW, those of you even getting feedback should consider yourselves lucky that you actually got some. With our 1st agent, she called & pestered them to fill her form out, with my other agent I have not gotten any feedback what so ever.

One person said our house smelled like cigarettes, when in fact it was from my hubby blowing out a candle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
We had a couple who looked at our house say:
1]didn't like master shower
2]didn't like the windows
3]the house was too open,noise might wake the kids
4]it faced the wrong direction
All this during our first open house.Our Realtor thought they were NOT interested.They ended up putting in a full priced offer,only to raise it another $15,000 when they found out someone else put in a bid as well!Guess it wasn't so bad after all!

While these may have been comments they said to their agent, apparently your house worked the best. There have been houses that I've walked away from, then think, hmm, take down a wall, or add one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
We had a couple come to view our house. The agent said they were looking at several homes that day and were interested in seeing our first because they were looking for "dog friendly'. We have a fenced yard, tile in all living areas, 3 bedrooms carpet, 1 bedroom wood laminate. We even have a dog door cut into the back door. It's the biggest one they sell at Lowes and works just fine for our 5 dogs one of which is a 75 lb Lab/Shepard mix. These people had no children, just dogs.

The comment they left was..... The dog door was not big enough ! We found out later that they had 3 Great Danes !!! Do they make dog doors that big ! I think they should A) put in one of those dutch doors and leave the bottom half open. B) Remove the door entirely and hang those plastic strips from the frame.

The house is still for sale.
If all they could say was the dog door was too small, who knows if they might be back.

What do you do with the 5 dogs when you show the house?
There are a lot of buyers that won't even look at your house if they see the dog door. Nothing against pet owners as I've had dogs myself but I bought a house years ago that was infested with fleas and won't buy another house that had pets unless I absolutely loved it.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
BTW, those of you even getting feedback should consider yourselves lucky that you actually got some. With our 1st agent, she called & pestered them to fill her form out, with my other agent I have not gotten any feedback what so ever.

One person said our house smelled like cigarettes, when in fact it was from my hubby blowing out a candle.

While these may have been comments they said to their agent, apparently your house worked the best. There have been houses that I've walked away from, then think, hmm, take down a wall, or add one.

If all they could say was the dog door was too small, who knows if they might be back.

What do you do with the 5 dogs when you show the house?
There are a lot of buyers that won't even look at your house if they see the dog door. Nothing against pet owners as I've had dogs myself but I bought a house years ago that was infested with fleas and won't buy another house that had pets unless I absolutely loved it.
We have 3 dogs...in fact a few months ago we took down the door that had the doggy door and put the original glass door back on...well we weren't getting any action and we got tired of letting dogs in and out, so we put the door with the hole back on....I have a note on the door for showings that we have the original glass door and will re install it if necessary...It take all of 10 minutes to switch them out. not a big deal at all....except they are heavy doors and we need a friend to come help us...IF the house does not sell by mid june, the listing expires. We are going to let it it a couple weeks and relist it. Then we will put the glass door back up, pack up our dogs and necessities and head up to WA state where we have a small mobile. It's too hot to stick around here all summer, and with the house empty maybe we can get it sold.

What do we do with dogs when we show the house. We pu them in he back of the jeep and headout for a ride. they bark too much and get too stressed to see people INSIDE the house so it's not a good idea to have anyone look while they are around. Also, my mom and dad lived with us until January, they also have 2 dogs, so we had a total of 5. We just loaded up a couple cars with dogs and people, and got the heck out of dodge. It works..

Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
We have 3 dogs...in fact a few months ago we took down the door that had the doggy door and put the original glass door back on...well we weren't getting any action and we got tired of letting dogs in and out, so we put the door with the hole back on....I have a note on the door for showings that we have the original glass door and will re install it if necessary...It take all of 10 minutes to switch them out. not a big deal at all....except they are heavy doors and we need a friend to come help us...IF the house does not sell by mid june, the listing expires. We are going to let it it a couple weeks and relist it. Then we will put the glass door back up, pack up our dogs and necessities and head up to WA state where we have a small mobile. It's too hot to stick around here all summer, and with the house empty maybe we can get it sold.

What do we do with dogs when we show the house. We pu them in he back of the jeep and headout for a ride. they bark too much and get too stressed to see people INSIDE the house so it's not a good idea to have anyone look while they are around. Also, my mom and dad lived with us until January, they also have 2 dogs, so we had a total of 5. We just loaded up a couple cars with dogs and people, and got the heck out of dodge. It works..
Yes, I can imagine how much stress they go through when the house is shown. It's not easy on anyone. Thankfully you take them, some people do not.

Good luck. Sounds like you have a good plan.
The market stinks by me, we were on 9 months before we were under contract. Close end of May.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 AM

42 posts, read 136,682 times
I'm also a Realtor in Ct. While showing a brand new 3000sq.ft. colonial in the suburbs, the buyer turned to her husband in astonishment and said "We can't buy this house it doesn't have any railings going down the stairs. Keep in mind the house was not close to being finished yet. I was speechless. I have many others but this will do for this afternoon.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
It was sheer HE** selling a home. I will never do that again. That's why I am renting for a VERY long time. Next home we buy we'll die in LOL
I told my husband that very thing! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
This thread has really made me feel so much better.
I am so glad! DJ32 and I were talking about feedback and some of the silliness. It's good to share and shake our heads together. It'll help keep us sane. :-)

Old 05-03-2008, 06:27 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstategrad View Post
We've had a few too...

First person said that they didn't want to live in the suburb we were in. Hello? They KNEW what suburb we lived in before they came to see the house!

Second person said that they didn't like the color of the bricks. Well, our pictures on the MLS clearly show that we have a brown brick house!

Third person wanted us to "take a paintbrush" to all the natural solid wood moulding throughout the house. They KNEW we had solid wood moulding from the pictures!

I just don't understand why people would take the time to actually come to a house that they've already seen pictures of, and then have the nerve to complain that what they saw in the pictures is actually what the house looks like. It's a huge waste of our time!
ohh lord why would you want to paint solid wood???? Crazy, I would kill for nice wood real wood i mean trim!!

Old 05-03-2008, 03:10 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
The comments we got were that the lot size was too small. Our back yard is the lake and duh do they not know what the size means on the listings?

Also, we had a showing where we had to leave the house for two hours. About 15 minutes before we were due back to the house the showing service called to say they had made a mistake and the showing was actually the next day. The feed back from
the showing service for that day showed that the owner had cancelled the appt.

Go figure!

Old 05-03-2008, 03:31 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,610 times
Well, the dogs really have not been a problem... since we've only had 2 showings in the 10 MONTHS !!! The first showing my stepson was home and he stayed out in the back yard with the dogs. The second showing I was home, I work from home, I put them in the back yard. The lady seeing the house was not even interested in seeing the back yard. You can see most of it from inside the house anyway.

When they called for the showing I told them I was at home and worked from home. I asked if she prefered for me to leave and she said... "If you talk too much I will put you in Time out". So I sat quietly in my office and worked while they viewed the home.

When we had an open house we did put the dogs in a kennel for 24 hours. But can't do that all the time. Our listing does not mention the dog door and since it's in the back you don't see it till you come inside. We also thought about removing it when we put the house on the market, but opted to offer to replace it instead... We do have a life and we do LIVE here, so it can' t and won't be a showplace at all times.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I don't think I have ever gotten any crazy feedback, but I do have real estate agent friend who was showing buyers a house and they LOVED it. She had shown them many, and thought this is it!

As they were getting ready to leave the house and write up an offer, the wife turned to her husband and said "we can't buy this house. I just realized there is no where to put grandma's hutch."

Apparently she inherited a rather large (quite ugly hutch, per the agent) that HAD to go with them to a house. They were purchasing a house that would fit the hutch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate