Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:28 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times

Advertisements

Someone noted, in some thread or another, that people are often astonished to find out that the people who end up buying their house are very similar to them, in many ways. We recently signed a contract to sell our house, and indeed, it's eerie HOW much the buyers are "just like us" in all sorts of ways. They could be our twins! In fact, if we'd met them under other circumstances, we'd probably end up being close friends.

That got me to thinking, and it seems that in our family's transactions, this is the exception rather than the rule. We didn't get to meet the lady from whom we bought our house in Hawaii, but from what I do know, it seems there are very few similarities. We really had little in common with the people from whom we bought the house that we are currently selling (they were builders, who didn't live there but rented it out then remodeled it; hard to say about the prior owners, as they had died and we only met one of their sons briefly - though there are a few notable similarities there). My mom had little in common with the people from whom she bought her prior house, ditto for the folks to whom she recently sold it. Maybe it depends on the house? Some houses have stronger "personalities" that tend to be attractive to certain kinds of people, others are more "generic"?

Anyone out there find a particularly amazing similarity between a set of buyers/sellers of a property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Yes.

We didn't buy the house but the house that we looked at, well, the owners were just like us.

When I signed the offer we wondered if they were going to go into foreclosure. It looks like they renovated and then just moved out. I wanted to know about the people. What happened to them? It looked like they moved out suddenly, a lot of their stuff was still there.

Well, after we signed the offer we drove by the house and they were out mowing the lawn that had grown about 12 inches. The guy looked just like my husband. Even had the auto mechanic shirt on.

The woman and I locked eyes. She looked just like me.

Well, the negotiations fell through and the house went into foreclosure the next day. I feel awful for them. That could be us.

I get tears in my eyes when I think about it.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:30 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
A realtor brought a younger couple to view our house 2 days ago. It was so eerie. They were from the other part of the state where we originally came from, the husband commented on liking the same obscure music CD's I had lying around, and the wife was dressed almost exactly like my wife. They reminded us so much of ourselves, but 20 years ago.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Someone noted, in some thread or another, that people are often astonished to find out that the people who end up buying their house are very similar to them, in many ways. We recently signed a contract to sell our house, and indeed, it's eerie HOW much the buyers are "just like us" in all sorts of ways. They could be our twins! In fact, if we'd met them under other circumstances, we'd probably end up being close friends.

That got me to thinking, and it seems that in our family's transactions, this is the exception rather than the rule. We didn't get to meet the lady from whom we bought our house in Hawaii, but from what I do know, it seems there are very few similarities. We really had little in common with the people from whom we bought the house that we are currently selling (they were builders, who didn't live there but rented it out then remodeled it; hard to say about the prior owners, as they had died and we only met one of their sons briefly - though there are a few notable similarities there). My mom had little in common with the people from whom she bought her prior house, ditto for the folks to whom she recently sold it. Maybe it depends on the house? Some houses have stronger "personalities" that tend to be attractive to certain kinds of people, others are more "generic"?

Anyone out there find a particularly amazing similarity between a set of buyers/sellers of a property?
Our buyers are from the North we are from the South. They are either our age or very close. They have just retired and moving south. When we moved into our house 10 years ago we had just retired. I have only met the couple once but I would say that they are somewhat like us.

Dunroven

Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Can't say that anyone we have ever sold to or bought from was like us at all...Nope, totally different..Age differences, kid differences, pet differences, definitely decorating differences.

Guess I am in the minority here. Hopefully someone like us comes through our house and buys it. We liked it, so should they! If I knew who they were, I would find them and drag them in lol...

Old 05-03-2008, 08:17 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,519,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Can't say that anyone we have ever sold to or bought from was like us at all...Nope, totally different..Age differences, kid differences, pet differences, definitely decorating differences.

Guess I am in the minority here. Hopefully someone like us comes through our house and buys it. We liked it, so should they! If I knew who they were, I would find them and drag them in lol...

Same here all the homes we sold I can't think of anyone that reminded me of us except most of them loved dogs.I quess loving dogs as much as hubby and I do and most of our buyers tells me that dog lovers are drawn to each other and that might be the reasons for the sales. Who knows??????

Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 47,853 times
We didn't buy the house but the house that we looked at, well, the owners were just like us.

When I signed the offer we wondered if they were going to go into foreclosure. It looks like they renovated and then just moved out. I wanted to know about the people. What happened to them? It looked like they moved out suddenly, a lot of their stuff was still there.

That is my greatest fear. But more about a city and not just buyers. That is, that a great vibrant city such as Dallas, could someday be blight. Much like the state of Michigan. The city of Cleveland, East Chicago, or some other area which was impacted by change. Could the Walmart/China be the agent of change ? The type of change which kills off opportunity. Just who does buy the cars, houses, and other consumer products which keep a local economy alive? Is it those folks who get their jobs shipped to China ? Were the jobs up north shipped to the south and then overseas to avoid paying union wages ?

Last edited by dallas dude; 05-03-2008 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 05-04-2008, 05:13 AM

200 posts, read 561,303 times
While the global economy creates a significantly different level of competition for everyone, here in NY the growth of government, taxes, and over regulation continues to result in decreases in emplyment opportunities [we usually experience more folks leaving then settling here each year ... the same w/ employers] If the election ends as many pundents predict our situation will just be exasperated....most likely in excess of 65% of every dollar to governments. Here public employees outnumber private emplyees. Many are unable to stay when they retire due to high fixed costs so NC, SC, Fla. get their retirement [ our tax dollars]. With my property and school taxes at $9000 and increasing yearly, I will soon reluctantly join the exodus. China and Walmart have nothing to do w/ that.............rdistribution of income does...........

Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 AM

200 posts, read 561,303 times
Default Walmart/China are convenient foils

While the global economy creates a significantly different level of competition for everyone, here in NY the growth of government, taxes, and over regulation continues to result in decreases in employment opportunities [we usually experience more folks leaving then settling here each year ... the same w/ employers] If the election ends as many pundents predict our situation will just be exasperated....most likely in excess of 65% of every dollar to governments. Here public employees outnumber private employees. Many are unable to stay when they retire due to high fixed costs so NC, SC, Fla. get their retirement [ our tax dollars]. With my property and school taxes at $9000 and increasing yearly, I will soon reluctantly join the exodus. China and Walmart have nothing to do w/ that.............redistribution of income and growth of government does...........

Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Are the financial advantages of the Carolinas so good that folks are moving there? I hear a lot of people talking about North Carolina and aside from being a beautiful state, it surprises me that west coast folks are talking it up so much. What are the advantages? Good taxes? Easy to get SS disability? Just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate