U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,416,619 times

Advertisements

I am curious, when you interview Real Estate Agents, what is it you look for? I am always up front, usually get the deal, unless they want to overprice, b/c I will not take an overpriced home, its just a headache for everyone involved, and stressful on the sellers imho. But, I wanted to throw a few questions back to you to hear your thoughts. Kind of like an agent interviewing a homeowner.........

Why do you think a larger agency will sell your home faster than a smaller not so well known agency? We all have access to the exact same system, it doesn't matter what agency lists it, it matters how they market it. Curious as to your thoughts on this........

Why do you think, or do you that a newer agent won't be able to sell your home the way someone who has been in the biz for 20 years will? IMHO, sometimes newer agents have that drive to go 200% ahead for you. again, curious to your thoughts on this....

Would you go with an agent that would lower their commission only based on that? I personally never lower my commission, but I know many who will...

thanks....enjoy the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 AM

8,857 posts, read 17,461,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
I am curious, when you interview Real Estate Agents, what is it you look for? I am always up front, usually get the deal, unless they want to overprice, b/c I will not take an overpriced home, its just a headache for everyone involved, and stressful on the sellers imho. But, I wanted to throw a few questions back to you to hear your thoughts. Kind of like an agent interviewing a homeowner.........

Why do you think a larger agency will sell your home faster than a smaller not so well known agency? We all have access to the exact same system, it doesn't matter what agency lists it, it matters how they market it. Curious as to your thoughts on this........

Why do you think, or do you that a newer agent won't be able to sell your home the way someone who has been in the biz for 20 years will? IMHO, sometimes newer agents have that drive to go 200% ahead for you. again, curious to your thoughts on this....

Would you go with an agent that would lower their commission only based on that? I personally never lower my commission, but I know many who will...

thanks....enjoy the day
1-Larger company typically will have more exposure through websites, newspaper ad placement, etc. There is also name recognition. There are exceptions and agent is more important than company.

2-Would you rather have a new heart surgeon or an experienced one? I know it's an extreme example, but experience is important.

3-It depends on what value the seller gets. All sellers care more about net than commission so it's a matter of proving worth.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 AM

1,440 posts, read 3,576,953 times
Since I'm here....another agent's opinion (but hopefully some good advice until the buyer's start posting).

(1) An indy agency or smaller chain may not have the resources to splash advertising dollars in the street as larger regional and national chains do. They may be exceptional in their immediate area but fall short outside that local loop.

(2) It's one thing to have speed under the hood, it's another entirely to know what to do behind the wheel.

(3) Commission.....truly an extra large can of worms and since I'm not hungry, I'll let buyers chime in on this one.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 AM

313 posts, read 919,832 times
Good questions- I am interested in the responses you get because thus far my husband and I are disappointed in the agent we chose to sell our house. We initially thought she was more of a go-getter- she read us the riot act about de-cluttering and cleaning and presentation (not that we are slobs, but we both have long commutes, a small child, and pets, so we had the "lived in" look perfected! )

Before I get ranty about my own situation- I would be perfectly willing to pay full commission to an agent who's going to try his/her hardest to sell my house, re-assess the situation regularly and maintain good communication with us.

We are using the biggest agency in the area- and I am not impressed. Even the small agencies have access to MLS here so I would not hesitate to use a mom and pop type office if I felt confident about the agent.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM

13,751 posts, read 31,601,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post

We are using the biggest agency in the area- and I am not impressed. Even the small agencies have access to MLS here so I would not hesitate to use a mom and pop type office if I felt confident about the agent.
I always feel bad that people think bigger companies are better. Some of them are very "sales" oriented in that they are looking at the numbers. How many listings did you get, etc. Some of them are great at getting listings, but not much else. We have a company in town like that.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,464,870 times
Large company or small, be sure that the company participates in IDX ( internet data exchange ) this enables your listing to be posted on other/all agents' wesites. In effect, your listing will automatically post to *all* individual agents' websites, and other brokerage companies. If you Brokerage firm is not in the IDX program then you are missing a major internet maketing component.
Companies that have the listings have the advantage. Because the calls are coming to their office, their agents are getting the leads. It's a numbers game. The more people you talk to the more people you will do buisiness with. The more people that walk through your listing, the better chance of getting it sold.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,021,007 times
Here are some questions I'd be asking;
Are you a full-time agent?
What is your listing to closing ratio?
Do you have a marketing plan for my house? I don't want an empty box in front of my house because you forgot to make copies of the advertising flyer.
Will you accept a 3 month listing agreement? I don't want my listing to get stale.
Are you easily accessible? Do you return calls promptly?
I also look for an agent who gets excited about a house. One who will use body language I.E. spreads arms wide to show the big fire place etc. Excitement is contagious and I want buyers to get excited when looking at my house.
I want someone who has been in the business a while and knows my neighborhood.
Will you keep me abreast of comps. in my neighborhood?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 19,808 times
Default From one agent to another

Hi!
I'm an agent in Massachusetts, and I find that I have farmed & done advertising, etc. in the past. Over the past 18 months, I have started working
my business by referral, and my business has more than doubled. When being interviewed, I find that people hire ME, as opposed to the company I work for. If I go in to the appointment with the advantage of being recommended by someone they know, they generally trust me right off the bat. They tend not to overprice, because they know someone who had a successful transaction with me, and know that I got the job done for them. I don't know if this helps at all, but it's working for me! Wishing you many sales.
Gayle Ward

Old 06-25-2008, 12:25 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,527,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
I am curious, when you interview Real Estate Agents, what is it you look for?
Overall experience with a deep understanding of the specific geographic area. I also look for someone who can provide me with not just a huge document and market analysis, but someone who understands and can explain the underlying trends in the local market and how they arrived at the listing price they recommend.

We just sold our house in central Massachusetts last summer, and we chose the leading broker in the area, and he was able to sell our house in 2 weeks. Much of it was based on him providing us with a realistic and fair market price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate