U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM

150 posts, read 594,319 times

Advertisements

What are the pros/cons of putting that big "Price Reduced!" banner on your for sale sign? We're probably going to reduce our price soon if we don't get any offers. The "Price Reduced!" banner seems (to me) desperate-sounding - meaning that if we got an offer, it might be lower than it otherwise would have been. Am I being silly? Is there any good reason TO put it on there when the fliers/listing will reflect the "price reduced" anyway?

And, since I'm asking questions, at what point should we take the fliers away and leave only the sign? Or should we keep the fliers the whole time? We're going on almost a month now so it hasn't been THAT long, but still. Just wondering why some houses have fliers and others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,213,228 times
Our agent doesn't believe in fliers-she has an 800# that gives all info on house.

I haven't noticed any "Price Reduced" signs out here-mainly it's reflected in the ad's or on-line.

While in NJ recently I noticed tons of "reduction" signs.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,131,115 times
Isle Gal: my personal 2 cents is that I didn't want a big ole "PRICE REDUCED" on my yard sign. It was tastefully included in my online listings and that was that. One thing I did was send cute thank you notes to realtors that had previously shown my home with a printed picture of my house letting them know that the house was reduced. My realtor followed up as well. Word will get out without the loud "HEY ALL I'M CHEAPER!!" sign. :-)

Oh to add: our sign has an 800# also and no flyers.

Last edited by carolina chick; 05-08-2008 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: adding more gibber jabber

Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,913,065 times
fliers, are up to the agent and at the request of the customer. I use them most of the time, simply to help the possible buying client, to have enough information, to help make decisions. You do not want someone who is unable to afford your house, waste your time, and the offering a reduction, simply shows your trying to compete with all the others, so not a bad thing.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
One thing I did was send cute thank you notes to realtors that had previously shown my home with a printed picture of my house letting them know that the house was reduced.
I LOVE this idea, and I'm going to copy you!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:34 PM

414 posts, read 1,131,115 times
Go nuts! It worked for me! They all came back around with other clients that fell in my parameters. Keeps the property fresh in their minds too. ;-)

Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,304,971 times
I always had plenty of fresh color flyers in the tube. I hate it when I drive by a home and no flyers!! How am I supposed to know if I can afford it?? What if I don't have pen and paper to write down the realtor's phone number and address??
Flyers are the way to go. I made them myself.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM

8,191 posts, read 27,463,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I always had plenty of fresh color flyers in the tube. I hate it when I drive by a home and no flyers!! How am I supposed to know if I can afford it?? What if I don't have pen and paper to write down the realtor's phone number and address??
I'm going to have to agree with this. I (or sometimes my husband) will be out running an errand and see a house we might be interested in and it is nice to be able to pull a flier so we can look it over at our leisure. Before I leave with a flier I check the price, if it is out of our range I will leave the flier for the next person.

I will no longer call the 800 numbers to get info, I do not want YOUR agent calling me and telling me that if this isn't the right house for me he/she will be happy to help me find one.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 PM

649 posts, read 3,137,456 times
I've never seen flyers around here. It just isn't done.

You usually pick up a flyer inside, when you go through the house.

I guess it's just regional.

I LOVE the idea of sending the thank-you notes, with an indication that the price is reduced.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 PM

Interesting! I've never heard of "800" numbers.... guess it really is a regional thing. The funniest thing about the flyers was the first week we had it listed ... seeing neighbors, friends, acquaintances (who have no interest in buying our house) picking them up. I work from my house and I have a decent view of the front yard from my home office. Some of these flyer-takers looked around first, grabbed a flyer, then hurried away. Others took one, then stood for a super long time reading it in front of the house (as if to show they didn't care if they were spotted.) Weekends are interesting because we have lots of foot traffic on our block ... and plenty of flyer-takers. So we get excited when we see so many ppl (who we don't know) taking them ... then nobody calls for a showing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or