Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house right outside of Austin! It was tough, we lost several houses that we put offers on. Our realtor helped make this deal happen by offering to take a lower commission. I know that normally realtors don’t receive gifts from clients, but I’m wondering if we should give something in this situation? I was considering flowers or something, or is that weird??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
My go-to suggestion for realtor gifts is always a gas gift card. You KNOW they’ll use that.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:24 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
Be very careful, there are very strict rules about what agents are allowed to accept outside of the broker commission. No cash allowed. Gift cards might be a gray area or off limits completely. We invited our agent to our house warming and fed him a nice dinner. He made it very clear that any other gifts were not allowed.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:44 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Figs View Post
We just bought a house right outside of Austin! It was tough, we lost several houses that we put offers on. Our realtor helped make this deal happen by offering to take a lower commission. I know that normally realtors don’t receive gifts from clients, but I’m wondering if we should give something in this situation? I was considering flowers or something, or is that weird??
Not weird, but not useful as they'll be dead in a few days.

Given the comment by LO28SWM I suggest you check the Texas licensing laws to see what kind of gift, if any, is acceptable. The first two search results should have them all.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=texas+real...=v252-1&ia=web

Old 05-11-2021, 08:44 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
As a real estate agent, 100% and without a doubt I can tell you the best gift you can give me is a referral. Talk me up to your friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. Become an advocate for my services and when someone you know says they're thinking about buying/selling/investing in real estate insist that they give me a call or better yet give me a call and give me their contact information so I can gently reach out to them.

At the end of the day, it's nice to feel appreciated for the work you've done and something like flowers, a bottle of wine, etc. definitely warms the heart. Hopefully, you've gotten to know your agent a bit at this point and you may have a general idea of who they are and what they like to enjoy so that you can choose an appropriate gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Be very careful, there are very strict rules about what agents are allowed to accept outside of the broker commission. No cash allowed. Gift cards might be a gray area or off limits completely. We invited our agent to our house warming and fed him a nice dinner. He made it very clear that any other gifts were not allowed.
That's going to vary a lot by state and the agreement the agent has with their brokerage might impact it as well (i.e. if they receive an item of value like a gift card they may have to share it with their broker).

Old 05-11-2021, 08:52 AM

35 posts, read 18,564 times
Normally I would expect a gift from my realtor instead of me giving my realtor gift.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:12 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

A small gift from the heart is always welcome! Certainly not weird at all.

Flowers. A bottle of wine. Something from a local bakery (I like cookies!) or chocolatier.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from following your heart with a small gift. It's not a gesture you will ever regret, or one the recipient will find odd.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
A nice online review would please me. Either Zillow or Google, or both. If you wanted something material, small and thoughtful would me happy. I like to golf, so I had a client give me a box of golf balls at closing. I thought it was great. Same thing, got a 6 pack of craft beer from a few folks. Those are cool also.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:16 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I will second or third the notion that the best gift is a terrific online referral wherever you find referrals, and share it on facebook

And we personally love to go to dinner to celebrate and while we usually treat, it's nice when a client wants to.

Any nice gesture would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:48 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Don't forget to write a review (but don't mention the reduced commission - that's private).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate