Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:10 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times

Advertisements

Again, what does an HOA have to do with the discussion in this thread ? The OP didn't bring it up. Just because some folks don't like HOA communities, it has nothing to do with this thread discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Again, what does an HOA have to do with the discussion in this thread ? The OP didn't bring it up. Just because some folks don't like HOA communities, it has nothing to do with this thread discussion.
She kind of did. When HOA was first mentioned by another poster, the op responded that she was sending out an email to all the residents. Seemed strongly implied that an HOA exists in this situation.

Regardless, it applies in the sense that myself and another mentioned: imagine dealing with this type of neighbor as part of your HOA leadership? The OP is exactly the reason I left an HOA situation and will never go back.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-15-2021, 11:49 AM

27 posts, read 18,039 times
Default Hoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is why I'll never buy in an HOA ever again!

Even if this lady isn't in one, imagine if she was (and in charge)? Way too much of a risk for me.
One property held "The Main House" is located in a highly regulated HOA. Due to Covid-19 have not been there in over a year. I do not/did not enjoy time spent there and while away the time at the country place, raising chickens for fresh eggs. They (free range and) have turned into pets!
Back to HOA. Will not purchase another within HOA as experience has been less than desirable. There are many amenities (along with substantial association fee) but overall a good investment. (An example of the extremes an HOA can enforce is maximum outdoor lighting wattage!) In rereading comments see that HOA comments are discouraged in this thread. Sorry

Last edited by TLeeBlanq; 05-15-2021 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 05-15-2021, 12:43 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
When the appraiser measures it will be correct. Most mls's have a place for sf and source (owner, Central appraisal district, tax records, builder, appraiser, etc. In tx we have disclosures or notices to buyers that state if sf is an issue to buyer, they recommend hiring someone to measure (like an appraiser.)
If you are worried about your house, get it measured, then correct with tax office. If its on someone elses house, then not sure why you are inserting yourself.
This. I know in my area they say something like “sq ft is approximate” so it’s up to the buyer to confirm it if it’s an issue.

If OP is that concerned about the buyer paying too much, then I’d suggest introducing yourself when they are visiting the property and letting them know you think they are getting ripped off.

While I agree with MYOB, I’m guessing OP may be thinking about selling soon and is afraid that this house will bring down their value or something since the MLS will consider OP’s house to be “smaller” and maybe OP wants to list at a similar price. But of course that would be negated if the OP actually thinks the buyer of the other house should be paying less...

Old 05-17-2021, 01:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazcat View Post
Interesting situation. A house down the street is for sale - it is the same exact floor plan as our house. I know this because all of the houses were sold at the same time by the developer and 4 of the houses had the same floor plan, same square footage, 3875. Ours was Lot N, the house for sale now was Lot J. Some of floorplans offered were bigger but we chose smaller to save some money and 3875 is quite big enough for us. We recently realized that the county tax assessor has the square footage incorrect (at 4220) on all 4 of these houses and the realtor is listing the house at that square footage - 4220. I texted the realtor to let her know I believe it is incorrect, before the sale goes through, along with the link to the original sale of the house that showed 3875, plus the marketing materials from the developer that show the 4 houses (including ours and this house for sale) with this floor plan and "approx 3875". A few days after I texted her, I noticed that the square footage on the original MLS listing from 5 years ago for that house had changed! It was changed to yet another number, 3950, which happens to be the square footage of a totally different floor plan the developer offered on a different street. The incorrect square footage on the new listing did not change so it is still at 4220.

A realtor friend in another state suggested I call the local MLS and I did. The guy told me the only person who would be able to change data on a sold listing would be the listing agent. Well, I seriously doubt that happened because the developer doesn't even exist any more, not to mention, why would she? He also said the selling agent can list the house at 4220 if that's what the assessor says it is, even if incorrect. And they will not look into any situations unless requested by an MLS member.

Any ideas of what more I can do about this situation? The sale is still pending. Why do I care so much? 1. It's not right 2. Some buyer is about to get ripped off 3. We're going through the process of getting our square footage corrected by the Assessor - we've been overpaying in taxes since we moved in. Now their house is going to sell for way more than it should which probably affects the value of our home (and taxes). This house is the most ideal comp possible for our house.
I had a similar problem and the reason was the builder had an optional room over the garage (FROG) but he recorded my home using the basic model plan thus not showing I had the FROG which made for about about a 200sq ft difference. I never bothered to get it changed. When selling, the question arose about the difference in the MLS listing (larger) then the recorded plan. I had kept a set of plans for my model home and I could show people the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate