U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM

562 posts, read 2,087,549 times

Advertisements

A simple question: if you find a house you love on a wooded lot, how difficult is it to greatly reduce the number of trees around the house to allow more light? This is assuming that it is OK with the association if there is one.I have been told that removing trees from a land parcell can be offset by selling the wood that is valuable to loggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,473,314 times
Well get a chainsaw and start cutting (watch out, trees are heavy, chainsaws hurt if you slip up), but you may find the results less than pleasing if you cut too much. What sort of trees are they, and how big on average (height and diameter), and are the trunks tapered a lot or fairly straight? A lot of factors go into the value of a tree. Choose carefully if you hire someone, some won't pay you what the trees are worth, or will chip everything they cut down. Find a good, honest, logger(s) who'll give you what the trees are worth if they take the trees, and make sure they're insured.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,523,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
A simple question: if you find a house you love on a wooded lot, how difficult is it to greatly reduce the number of trees around the house to allow more light? This is assuming that it is OK with the association if there is one.I have been told that removing trees from a land parcell can be offset by selling the wood that is valuable to loggers.
It is not difficult at all but it has to be handled by professional tree people. If there is a home nearby and other trees that are to be saved then you cant just cut it and let it fall. If you were just cutting trees with nothing around then yes you make a cut at the bottom and let ur fall.

Professionals will climb the tree and cut parts from the top down. These parts are lowered by rope. Doing it this way of course means you will not have a log to sell to those who buy them.

Not only the communist HOA but some neighborhoods have tree preservation organizations that forbid removal of trees unless you can prove they are a hazzard.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM

Does anyone Know the cost of removal of say'15 tall,skinny trees? There are two beautiful houses on the market that have been on a long time, I feel because they are heavily wooded.I think most prefer some sun shining through,and I think tree removal would help them sell. Partially wooded is pretty, very wooded is damp, moldy, not to the dast of most.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM

Does anyone Know the cost of removal of say'15 tall,skinny trees? There are two beautiful houses on the market that have been on a long time, I feel because they are heavily wooded.I think most prefer some sun shining through,and I think tree removal would help them sell. Partially wooded is pretty, very wooded is damp, moldy, not to the taste of most.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 17,415,181 times
Tree removal cost will differ greatly from area to area.

If you have enough to be removed you can sometimes offset the cost by selling the lumber to the loggers but for most subdivision parcels that you will be taking down 10 or 12 trees, you won't find too many loggers to do that small a job just for the lumber.

Of course the type of tree will influence that also.

Some will drop the trees, take the logs and leave the stumps and lops to the homeowner to take care of.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the info! I must say that it sounds like a good deal of trouble, and ultimately expense that would only be worth it if it was a dream home and well priced to offset expenses. Plus, my engineer husband would probably be a nervous wreck the whole process! He would probably make my stop by the 3rd "timber".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate