Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times

Advertisements

as a spin off from another thread, i want to ask the lay folk - if you use an agent to sell or buy a home, do you expect or anticipate a gift from them? If so in what dollar amount is apporpriate? and how do you come to that dollar amount? if not, why not?? curious as to the answers from those who have used agents

thanks so much

colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I don't expect a gift from the agent, but it is nice to receive a thoughtful little something after closing (on the buying side). We've received flowers, dried arrangements, fruits, etc. from various realtors when we've closed on houses. (We've moved several times over the years.) On the selling side, just give me the bottom line check and I'm happy!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I don't expect a gift. I just want great service. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake. FWIW, our agent gave us a throw blanket that had a small image of a House and our names embroidered on the corner of it. We were touched and consider it very thoughtful as this was our first home purchase, however we totally did not expect it nor would we expect a gift again in the future.

Give me good service and help me to enjoy the home buying process. That is all I ask.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 PM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times
As a buyer, I don't expect any gift, except hard work on our behalf to find the perfect home at the perfect price of course. I thought we'd get a gift for our agent once we buy a house since he's been great. But since we'll be broke after buying, it'd probably end up as a nice thank you card (I've already referred him to a few friends as my other gift ).

Actually, when we came close to buying a house his company threw in a 1-year homeowner's warranty that covered appliances, etc that IIRC cost $300+. That was a pleasant surprise and just added to the warm & fuzzies we already have with this agent. Now that it's been suggested, of course, I'd also appreciate some flowers or fruit as a housewarming.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I don't expect one but got one from the agent I used in buying in a new construction, and did not get one from selling my house. She also signed us up for a year's subscription to Angie's List on her dime. I think sending one to your client is a very classy gesture and will be remembered. The agent I used to buy this house even sent me a cake in a tin can just for a referral. Whenever I refer, I only refer her. It wasn't because of the gift, but because she was a very thorough and easy person to deal with. When we closed on this house, the mortgage company also sent us a basket of cookies. Very thoughtful of both we thought.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
as a spin off from another thread, i want to ask the lay folk - if you use an agent to sell or buy a home, do you expect or anticipate a gift from them? If so in what dollar amount is apporpriate? and how do you come to that dollar amount? if not, why not?? curious as to the answers from those who have used agents

thanks so much

colleen
Whenever my uncle purchases investment properties that are marketed by a full-service brokerage, he demands a concession from the buyer's agent closing the transaction for him. Gifts???? LOL.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Buying or selling it never occurred to me to expect a gift from the agent. I have given a gift to one agent for outstanding service.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 PM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Whenever my uncle purchases investment properties that are marketed by a full-service brokerage, he demands a concession from the buyer's agent closing the transaction for him. Gifts???? LOL.
Well, a reduction in the agent's commission can be part of the agent's great service in getting the right house for the right price, right? Yeah, I imagine the investor wouldn't care for the housewarming basket, but some of us buying a home to live in, esp us first timers, don't mind them.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,504 times
Received a nice basket from my buyer's agent, nothing from our agent when we were the sellers (except a most unexpected and appreciated quick sale in Detroit)! We got HER the gift, in that case. Expensive hand soap/lotion combo & a potted plant.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 AM

203 posts, read 927,501 times
Yes, it's good business!............you are afterall salespeople! A gesture of kindness goes a long way and if i use a salesperson and they go just a little bit further than the competition..........guess who I'm using next time?

And if i recommend you to someone else?..........i expect a huge gift!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate