Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times

Advertisements

My family is selling my elderly father's home. He's lived in that neighborhood for many, many years, and everyone knows each other. My step brother has been residing in it for the past couple of years and paying rent.

We intended to list it with a realtor, but even before doing that we were contacted by a guy from England who is trying to buy homes for sale in the neighborhood. I did several walk throughs with him. Every walk through he would become a little more and more insulting--not just making comments about the home, but taking pot shots at my family as well. I was very patient with him since he seemed to sincerely be interested and my dad wants to sell the house now.

This last time with the guy from from another country, I told him he had no more times to be disrespectful and told him he needed to leave. As I was walking to the front door, he made a stupid low offer, I opened the door, pointed out the door, didn't even speak further to him, and he left. He's been doing the same thing unsuccessfully through the neighborhood. The neighbors are alerting others about him. No disrespect intended for people from other countries--he's just an investor with a poor technique.

We're now working with a young couple who are family members of the family across the street, my dad has accepted their offer, which was not exactly what my dad wanted, but too much to walk away from, and my dad is very happy to sell the house without a realtor and help this young couple get started. It's not over til it's over, but at least we're moving forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
I need to chime in..

I dont know how much the OPs house is listed for, but $200, $500, $800k - regardless, it's a HUGE decision. Heck, when I bought my new car I went and test drove it a couple times before the purchase. Why is viewing a house several times a problem? If I was a seller I would be glad that someone is so interested to keep coming back.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
My family is selling my elderly father's home. He's lived in that neighborhood for many, many years, and everyone knows each other. My step brother has been residing in it for the past couple of years and paying rent.

We intended to list it with a realtor, but even before doing that we were contacted by a guy from England who is trying to buy homes for sale in the neighborhood. I did several walk throughs with him. Every walk through he would become a little more and more insulting--not just making comments about the home, but taking pot shots at my family as well. I was very patient with him since he seemed to sincerely be interested and my dad wants to sell the house now.

This last time with the guy from from another country, I told him he had no more times to be disrespectful and told him he needed to leave. As I was walking to the front door, he made a stupid low offer, I opened the door, pointed out the door, didn't even speak further to him, and he left. He's been doing the same thing unsuccessfully through the neighborhood. The neighbors are alerting others about him. No disrespect intended for people from other countries--he's just an investor with a poor technique.

We're now working with a young couple who are family members of the family across the street, my dad has accepted their offer, which was not exactly what my dad wanted, but too much to walk away from, and my dad is very happy to sell the house without a realtor and help this young couple get started. It's not over til it's over, but at least we're moving forward.

I have found that people who know they are going to lowball an offer tend to be overly critical of everything. I can just about see it coming.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM

250 posts, read 991,915 times
I would let them come through however many times it takes. But don't get your hopes up. Most times, if there are more than 2 showings, they never make an offer.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I need to chime in..

I dont know how much the OPs house is listed for, but $200, $500, $800k - regardless, it's a HUGE decision. Heck, when I bought my new car I went and test drove it a couple times before the purchase. Why is viewing a house several times a problem? If I was a seller I would be glad that someone is so interested to keep coming back.
Yes, but did you drive the car and point out all the things wrong with it and insult the salesman?

Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM

895 posts, read 4,248,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Yes, but did you drive the car and point out all the things wrong with it and insult the salesman?
I liked the original comment about test driving but when the response was about pointing everything wrong with and insulting the salesman -- that's an entirely different story. I have to give you a couple examples:

When we moved once, we house hunted for 9 months (and that was looking at a lot of houses), there was nothing on the market we loved and we were at the point where we needed to move. We kept coming back to this one house. Between my husband and myself, we looked at it 6 times over three months. The owner was very upset with us--to the point that she would sit in her neighbor's driveway and give us dirty looks while we took the 8 minutes to walk through the house. Our gut instinct was that this wasn't the house for us but we really needed to move. The day we finally decided to make an offer on this house we didn't love, another house went on the market, we looked at it once and made an offer the same day. I felt bad for the people whose house we kept looking at but I was kept trying to fit a circle into a square.

Currently, we are house hunting again (but looking at rentals this time) (we've moved at least once a year for the past three years) and we've gone back to this house three times now. The first time, we just wanted to walk through it. The second time we wanted to confirm our original feel about it (cosmetically we don't like the house but are trying to figure out if we can suck it up for a year) and this last time we went to talk to the owner about possibly replacing a few things (at our cost, not his, to upgrade the house). The middle time we went to the house, the owner had such a look of disinterest and annoyance with us that we were very uncomfortable.

Buying a house is a huge decision. My husband has to browse through a clothing store on at least two occasions before he purchases clothes. This is just clothes (we won't even discuss the three year search for cars!)-- think about how hard it is for him to make a decision on the place where we live!!!

I'd just try to have to some patience. This will come to an end. You just have to look for the light at the end of it.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
I need to chime in..

There are people that are excessive. We had a couple that came through our house four or five times, and stay for an hour or longer. Then they made us a lowball 'verbal' offer, they didn't want to write it up. When we countered, they said they were not interested and walked away.

Still to this day they haven't purchased a house. I feel badly for the poor agent who is representing them!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
Quote:
I need to chime in..
People tend to act in certain predictable ways. And it very often happens that people who come back, and back, and back again, are totally indecisive, unprepared to buy a house either emotionally or financially. You can usually tell by the way they act and what they say if they're sincerely interested and trying to make the deal work, or just bumbling around wasting everyone's time. It's the bumblers that annoy everyone. The best kind of buyer to have is the one who falls in love with the house at the first showing and that feeling is noticeable in their subsequent questions/visits. These are the people who get the most concessions because it's clear they'll do whatever it takes to close.

Trust me, the car salesman knows whether you're a serious buyer too

Old 05-22-2008, 04:40 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
Many congratulations to the OP on your offer! Was it a 'good' offer? Acceptable or have you countered.

Please tell us how many times they came to your house - I'm dying to know! Lol.

Congrats again and I hope it all works out for you.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:25 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
People tend to act in certain predictable ways. And it very often happens that people who come back, and back, and back again, are totally indecisive, unprepared to buy a house either emotionally or financially. You can usually tell by the way they act and what they say if they're sincerely interested and trying to make the deal work, or just bumbling around wasting everyone's time. It's the bumblers that annoy everyone. The best kind of buyer to have is the one who falls in love with the house at the first showing and that feeling is noticeable in their subsequent questions/visits. These are the people who get the most concessions because it's clear they'll do whatever it takes to close.

Trust me, the car salesman knows whether you're a serious buyer too

You are so right on target with this. First time buyers seem to be the worst with the indecisiveness, even when they are financially capable of buying. They just always think there will be a better house or a better deal out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate