U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 7,547,905 times

Advertisements

I know it's a buyers market right now, but has anyone ever had someone want to come back for yet another "look" at your house so many times you want to tell them to just FORGET IT!?

I'm selling my home myself and it takes a tremendous amount of time and effort before showings to make sure my home is in emmaculate shape, which is really hard with two messy teenagers and two cats living in it. Then I have to try to shoo them all out of the house each time, not to mention keep stashing the cat box in the trunk of my car!

I have an interested buyer, a cash buyer, but she keeps wanting to bring different "family members" over to see the house before she makes a decision, and I am getting really sick of it. I've got my home bargain-basement priced in an area where affordable housing is rare. There is another home in my neighborhood for sale, I'm thinking of suggesting she go and take a look at that one instead!

My home is nice, but it is 15 years old. She keeps finding little things wrong here and there, nothing major, but I'm about ready to tell her if she wanted a brand new house, she should be looking at new ones then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,790,764 times
Time to tell her where to head in!

I'd just say to her; "look, you and I are both familiar with my house, I've pointed out the downsides and now you're just being nitpicking, bringing in others to see if they notice a blemish that you might have missed. If you want to come see it again, bring me and Purchase and Sales agreement with a NON-REFUNDABLE option check, in addition to your earnest money.

Otherwise, go and find a more expensive house".

BTW, you might want to be a "little bit" more tactful (I'm not very-the above is almost an exact quote), but I've done this and it works as often as it doesn't. Besides, you have nothing to lose.

golfgod

Old 05-18-2008, 02:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 5,147,839 times
Personally, I would tell her to go scratch.....but I'm not you and I don't know how badly you need a sale. Chances are, she's not going to make an offer. If she does, she'll be the type of person who will make your life miserable until you close. If don't care about the sale, I would tell her after she makes an acceptable offer, she can bring come back whenever she wants.

I guess it all depends on you and if you want to alienate a potential buyer.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,451,397 times
i think you should suck it up! sorry! she might just buy it. u know the saying, the customer is always right...

it might be her first purchase and she's just anal and a little scared.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 PM

8,857 posts, read 17,461,540 times
Suck it up and get out of the way for the showing. You are seriously looking for sympathy? You should be thrilled you have a buyer so interested in your home. Perhaps you can do something to get the ball rolling such as making a written offer to the buyer.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,596,954 times
Two questions: Is she a first-time buyer and does she have a broker? Because if the answer is yes and no, she might be a tire-kicker. A lot of first-time buyers are scared to take the plunge, especially now, and sometimes, the only thing that will get them to commit is to feel they got a steal of a deal. If they're serious and ready to buy, they usually have brokers.

If she's only wanted to look at it two or three times, I'd cut her some slack. She might just be unsure or she might be sizing you up to see how much you might come down in price or how many things you might repair or change. If she calls again, you might want to politely ask her if she is seriously interested in your house. You might also ask her to bring a letter of qualification or proof of funds before you keep showing it endlessly, unless you know for sure that she can afford to buy your house at a price you're willing to accept. This will let her know gently that it's time to move or move on. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:49 PM

147 posts, read 623,517 times
I understand your frustration. I personally wouldn't worry all that much about making the house immaculate every time for this particular person. After all, she's seen the house a gadzillion times already. A little clutter shouldn't turn her off at this point and if it does -- clearly she wasn't serious in the first place.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM

2,249 posts, read 7,901,058 times
lol, welcome to our world.

Well, she's got to run out of relatives soon, don't you think? I wish ya the very best!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:03 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,596,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Well, she's got to run out of relatives soon, don't you think?
Oh, but that's just her windup. Then she'll have an endless parade of friends, neighbors and co-workers. The poor homeowner will run out of patience before some buyers will run out of lookyloos.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,641,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
lol, welcome to our world.

Well, she's got to run out of relatives soon, don't you think? I wish ya the very best!

That is exactly what I was thinking...lol. I showed a couple (first time buyers) 46 houses. Two of the houses they wanted to return to five or six times, then they finally made this crazy lowball offer on one of them and of course didn't get it. I don't understand people like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or