U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Sell my house: real estate agent, custom home, realtor, attorneys.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM

84 posts, read 237,140 times

Advertisements

DogMom,

You home is beautiful!! I see how you can be very frustrated with the process. We have buyers who were looking at our home with a beautiful, park like back yard, and another house that's the same model but has a smaller yard and backs up to a car junk yard and a busy by-pass beyond that. They were going to let an under $5000 difference in our negotiations cause them to go with the junkyard house. This doesn't make any sense to me if you look at it long term. You never know what people are thinking!! But, my husband and I decided to "blink first" in this game of chicken. We decided $5000 wasn't worth losing this opportunity to move. (Although I am still second guessing the whole thing)

I wish you all the luck in the world. You will find that someone who will appreciate all the beauty your home has to offer. You should be very proud of your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,225,909 times
It's really nice and personally, i find it appealing. That said, some may just be put off asthetically by the heavy wood furnishings throughout the house. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM

529 posts, read 2,452,470 times
Oh yeah. I have seen those pictures and the home is beautiful.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 PM

165 posts, read 752,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Hubby and I and agent believe we are in the correct price point, like I said not many solds, but the solds I have a list of for comp homes are in the 450-500 range, they closed in the last 3 or 4 months. We are at 439,000.
Did your agent show you all the comps? Not just the ones for 450-500? I would want to see everything from 375-500 that have sold in the last six months. You need to know what has sold for less than your price too, so you can compare what all of the competition is, instead of just what has sold in your range.

I don't know if it would do any good. I guess I'd just be curious.

We just hope the right person for your house comes along!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,874,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
They picked the other house because, according to their agent, who was shocked, it had faux paint..and the bedrooms were smaller than ours..maybe they really like to overpay for the neighborhood, cuz it was 40,000 more. Our agent is honest, we have known him a long time, he sold us this house...He is pretty upfront with us, it's such a wierd market.
I am so very sorry that those foolish woman didn't pick your home and it is not the dogs if they were thinking about it. Hubby is highly allergic to cats and would not even consider buying a home with a cat in it and would never consider saying we are interested in a home with a cat in it like they did.
Please someone tell me what Faux painting is.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,109,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
I am so very sorry that those foolish woman didn't pick your home and it is not the dogs if they were thinking about it. Hubby is highly allergic to cats and would not even consider buying a home with a cat in it and would never consider saying we are interested in a home with a cat in it like they did.
Please someone tell me what Faux painting is.
Hi Lorrie, faux painting is, gee how do I describe it, well it was popular about 10 years ago, and I personally have nothing against it, but it's usually very personal..Like stippling, sponging, fancy ones like murals painted, that kind of thing. I personally have not seen a home in a long time with faux painting, I guess it wouldn't put me off to buying a home because I could paint it. I dunno. Most of the homes in our development are under 10 years old, in fact the majority I would say 5 years so not a lot of personalization in most of them..

No I don't think it's the dogs..we have not had one comment about the dogs from anyone...it doesn't smell doggy in here. It doesn't smell anything but clean. Dang I am tired of cleaning.

I am going to find out which house they put a contract in on and check it out, just for me. We did get the comps currently listed, pending and sold from 200,000 - 2 million..all of them...I didn't see anything on that list of homes anywhere that concerned me about our price. Lord knows we have done a ton of research! And our agent is good, very good. It's just a crazy bad market.

Most of the homes in the area either have very light wood cabinets or cherry or mahogany..they love built in bookcases, etc. crown molding is big, inlaid tile is big, our bedroom is HUGE and our furniture does not weigh it down at all. At least I don't think so, but I need my bedroom furniture so I hope if they don't care for it they can look past it. I have already given up almost everything we own or value, in storage or packed up.. I miss my family pictures, our sons are in CA and I miss looking at them at least on print..I am not giving up my bedroom set...lol. One of our bedrooms is empty, the other has a queen bed and end table, hubby's recliner which looks fine in there (he will NOT let me put it anywhere but in the house somewhere, so it does the least damage in there lol) and a small dresser. It's a huge room, when my parents lived here they had their king sized bed, and 3 dressers in there...plus we have the casita, which is like a bachelor apartment...right off the front courtyard, it is a very large room, full bath, walk in closet, microwave and refrigerator and it's own heat/air.

We are located just north of St. George, Utah in Utah's Dixie..Red rocks, about 30 miles west of Zion National Park, a couple hours from Bryce Canyon and Brian Head ski resort. We are 10 miles into the Utah border, which makes us about 120 miles north of Las Vegas. Beautiful area...house is too big, expensive for us since my parents moved back to CA..and we miss our kids and if we don't buy something smaller here, we will head back to NorCal. Personally I am so tired the thought of buying again for a while makes me cringe, maybe we will rent.

Thank you for the compliments on our home. It is probably the fanciest, prettiest home we have ever had. We just can't hang on to it, nor do we need all this square footage. I needed this house when the boys were growing up, pretty ironic, huh...

Have a great evening..tomorrow is a new day! Barb

I am thinking about going out Saturday morning and buying a bunch of colorful helium balloons and tying them to the for sale sign just because. Holiday weekend, people might be driving around. Not an open house, but if they want to look, come on in. We aren't doing anything anyway might as well hang around and see what happens..

Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times
I feel your pain dogmom. We've had our home on the market for a year now and seen homes all around us sell before ours. Our home is priced lower than all others in the neighborhood now but still no contract yet. Although, we have had two very close calls but our realtor didn't follow through. Sooo, as of last weekend, we have another realtor who seems very aggressive. After three days, he is very close to sealing a deal but we won't know until the buyer makes his mind up between our home and another one. We are even throwing in our plasma TV as an incentive.

We definitely know the pain of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning to have no one show up. The closest calls we have had are when my wife stayed home during the showing and actually talked to the buyers. We have dogs too and we always ensure this isn't evident to anyone viewing the home. We always remove any bedding/bowls beforehand and keep the little packages picked up in the yard.

So, I guess we just have to keep strong in this market and keep on keeping on until that special someone shows up to take the keys.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,109,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBee View Post
I feel your pain dogmom. We've had our home on the market for a year now and seen homes all around us sell before ours. Our home is priced lower than all others in the neighborhood now but still no contract yet. Although, we have had two very close calls but our realtor didn't follow through. Sooo, as of last weekend, we have another realtor who seems very aggressive. After three days, he is very close to sealing a deal but we won't know until the buyer makes his mind up between our home and another one. We are even throwing in our plasma TV as an incentive.

We definitely know the pain of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning to have no one show up. The closest calls we have had are when my wife stayed home during the showing and actually talked to the buyers. We have dogs too and we always ensure this isn't evident to anyone viewing the home. We always remove any bedding/bowls beforehand and keep the little packages picked up in the yard.

So, I guess we just have to just keep strong in this market and keep on keeping on until that special someone shows up to take the keys.
Most days I try to stay positive, but some days when I can't make sense of anything, I get a little down. It is positively the most tiring thing we have ever done, working was easier (we are retired). Oh well, tomorrow IS a new day and I always feel more positive when the weekend is coming up. I guess I figure more folks look at homes on the weekend...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,627,125 times
Your home is absolutely gorgeous...so nice.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 AM

380 posts, read 2,113,547 times
Dogmom, your house is just beautiful. The only thing i can think of why buyers would go elsewhere assuming the location and price are good is there's something about the layout.

Looking at the kitchen, it does not appear to open up into the family room? If not, that might be something buyers prefer, as that's what I usually see in newer homes (and a preference for our growing family as well). Also, the photos make the kitchen look almost "b" shaped, with a long counter sticking out away from the main hub of the kitchen. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but for me, it seems a little awkward compared to a more traditional square or rectangular shaped room, especially since there doesn't seem to be as much counterspace or cupboards in the "hub" of the kitchen.

Also, the kitchen seems to be divided somewhat like a maze, with the entrance coming from the hallway between the oven and fridge, then opening up to the breakfast nook? Again, it's breaking away from the usual rectangle or square shaped room I usually see (and that I find highly functional). I think you said one buyer said the kitchen seemed small? If so, I'm guessing it's because for the size of the room, it does not seem to have as much cupboard or usable counterspace as I'd expect (your ceilings might be super high and maybe the cupboards just look short in the pics so I could be totally off here).

Don't get me wrong, I love your house, but that might be what's different about your house that's keeping the buyers away (besides the crazy faux painting!). I'm not trying to criticize your house as, again, it's gorgeous, just trying to give an idea to consider since I'm a current buyer who's seen many homes in person and tons more online.

Since you can't change the layout of your home, I wonder if you can find out how much other homes in your development with the same layout are selling for -- ie, narrow your comps to homes w/ similar square footage, rooms, location, etc, but also similar layout, especially in the kitchen (many consider the most important room in the house).

If it's not the layout, I'd offer to faux paint the home for the next lookers you have.

Also, since you miss having photos of your family around, maybe put them on your computer as a screen saver or something so you can view them in between posting on this board.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or