U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,449,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Bruce Williams gets better callers, IMO. I know he gets impatient with people a lot of the time but they do have some interesting questions and stories.

I like listening to him too, hijacker!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefromdebt View Post
ELP'S do not pay to be on a list. Report accurately!
Incorrect! I personally know of one ELP who pays around $5,000 per month for the privilege.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 AM

6,136 posts, read 11,468,630 times
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I'm an ELP! How did I rise to such a lofty perch? I got a call from an agent in another part of my county that is a personal friend, telling me that Dave Ramsey had given her a lead in my area and she turned me on to it. I signed up on the website and immediately became an ELP. Nice screening process.

OK, what do I have to lose. I respond to the lead and get an immediate response for a referral fee from the "dave ramsey website". OK 25% isn't unusual. They send me the contact information. I am totally aware of the property, I've talked with the owner before when his nephew's adjacent property (which I had listed) was for sale. The property has some pretty serious access issues. I call the owner up and tell them why I'm calling and we chat for a while about their situation. They're facing bankruptcy and need to sell within 30 DAYS! I tell them what I think would make that happen and never hear from them again. no phone call returned. Nothing.

I still get little monthly reminders from the Dave Ramsey staff asking for updates on their referral. I'm very sure they are interested in their listener/viewer more than their potential referral fee. I think the guy is the next Elmer Gantry and when he owns a personal stake in the outcome of his opinions and starts leading people down the primrose path, he has absolutely no regard for their well being, but plenty of interest in generating income from referral fees

To become an ELP by doing nothing more than filling out a referral fee form, makes me feel so very special, and to those lambs who are about to be led into the slaughterhouse, make sure you thank Dave Ramsey on your way in.

Charlatan.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM

353 posts, read 1,122,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna T View Post
I used an ELP for Financial Planning and was very disappointed to find out that basically in order to become an "endorsed local provider" for Dave, you simply have to pay an advertising fee to be on the list. This guy claims to be a Christian with values. Having an affair and getting fired from 2 jobs in less than 6 months certainly makes these claims questionable. Most importantly, when I checked his brokers license on the NASD broker check, it had 3 regulatory disclosures, one from a customer. I expected more from Dave if he was going to put his stamp on these people.

Exactly, anyone who wants to pay him a fee can be endorsed by him. (I'm a Realtor and for a price I could be endorsed by him. He doesn't care about what training, certifications or experience I have - as long as my check clears. BTW - I didn't fall for his scheme.)

Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,788,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
Like the guy's show. Anyone used one of his "endorsed local providers"?
There isn't one available where I live or I would have gone to an ELP in a heart beat.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,419,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There isn't one available where I live or I would have gone to an ELP in a heart beat.

20yrsinBranson
Given the comments above, why? Apparently any agent can be an ELP if they are willing to just pay the fee.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM

166 posts, read 539,189 times
Being a skeptic by nature, I just went to their site and filled out the application. They do require a 25% referral fee - that's standard in this business. Will see what happens - they will supposedly call an interview me....Time will tell.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,788,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Given the comments above, why? Apparently any agent can be an ELP if they are willing to just pay the fee.
That is not true. An ELP must not only show proficiency in what they do, but they must also share Dave's philosophy and attitude. You need to investigate this in greater detail before you make comments that are incorrect.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,419,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That is not true. An ELP must not only show proficiency in what they do, but they must also share Dave's philosophy and attitude. You need to investigate this in greater detail before you make comments that are incorrect.

20yrsinBranson
Fine, I guess the other posters were mistaken when they got an ELP designation with no screening or sharing of attitude? Perhaps the screeners were taking a break at the time . It'll be interesting to find out what happens with AnimalLover's application.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,486,315 times
I like many of Ramsey's thoughts. I'm not a fan, but I've listened to many of his shows and enjoy them. However, "endorsements" are a marketing ploy - nothing more than an advertising expense. Agents pay a fee and they are on the "endorsement" list.
I'm a real estate broker and I just don't choose to spend my advertising dollars that way. Frankly, I would rather work with buyers / sellers who think for themselves, have interviewed me and we seem to click. I just think it's a more clean way to doing business rather than trying to present myself as "endorsed" my a famous name who has never met me and knows nothing about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate