Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

I like Dave Ramsey's "be debt free" rethoric because I like being debt free. But that's as far as it goes. Sure I hear his program sometimes and its nice to hear people be debt free. I'm not a eat breathe Dave Ramsey follower. His message helps a lot of people live without debt hey more power to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 16,861 times
I don't understand why some think his service to you should be free. He gives you leads, you profit from some...how will you thank him?

Anyway...I picked an ELP for our current selling/buying process. That agent ended up pawning us off on one of her underling agents. Never talked to the ELP very much after that. The agent we're actually working with is very personable, so we were okay with dealing with them...but when we got into the nitty gritty of the process, has proven to be a bit scatterbrained and requires too much prompting.

I don't know what how quick they'd get around to checking in on my complaint, but as soon as we're closed on both properties, I'm letting them know their ELP's methods.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM

65 posts, read 98,516 times
I contacted an ELP 6 years ago to sell when we had to relocate for my husband's job, checked out his reviews and credentials. He was super nice, but we ended up being too far underwater to sell and rented the house out through a property manager. He would touch bases with us from time to time, but was never pushy about selling. Fast forward to now, our tenants moved and we contacted him months in advance to list. He gave us comps, toured the house with a contractor, and visited similar homes to get us a fair asking price. We ended up finding our own buyer, and didn't need him to list it, but I asked if he would be willing to facilitate the sale for 1% and he agreed. So far, it's worked out great. I do all the negotiating with the buyer myself. The agent answers both mine and the buyers questions. And the ELP agent does all the paperwork and offers advice and such. We close in a week or two, so I can't say how well it worked out, but so far I am super thrilled with my agent. I don't think being an ELP makes him a better or a worse choice, but I do think that a lot of his statements on debt align with my own.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM

279 posts, read 544,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I like Dave Ramsey's "be debt free" rethoric because I like being debt free. But that's as far as it goes. Sure I hear his program sometimes and its nice to hear people be debt free. I'm not a eat breathe Dave Ramsey follower. His message helps a lot of people live without debt hey more power to him.
YNAB is a much better program IMHO.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,667 times
Regarding ELP's, be aware that Ramsey's referral fee will be on your closing statement when you sell your house. For us it was $2,614. No where did I see that we would be charged for getting an agent referral. And to top it off, The Agent was a narcissistic, manipulative person who in no way provided the service that was promised on Ramsey's web site. We have shared our selling experience with other Agents and people, and they all say that much of what we experienced bordered on the unethical.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Several of the Realtors and contractors that I know of in our area as ELP's are the last people I would recommend. You will be better served asking the locals who is worthy of your business.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,623 times
Don't know what to make of Ramsey. He is pretty convincing on the AIR. His call screeners Do a bang up job only putting on the dull witted with unbelievable questions and then THE CHEERING SQUAD!!! Good for him.

ELPS in the SF Bay area are jumping ship. I got a CPA first with him who left him because she said his "$$ shingle was too much".

Then his web site....are you kidding me? Round and round for over 30 min. to try and create an account. Not my first rodeo creating an account. The site is broken with RED error triangles coming up at every turn.

SOOOOOOO...for now this is my first impression. Like Dave says and in his cadence too "stooopid"

Last edited by MarieLegal; 10-12-2015 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-13-2015, 07:28 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
His advice is good for getting out of debt and developing good money habits. If you separate that from all the other stuff and stick to the basics then I think there's good value.

I'd stay away from his EA recommendations. All Ramsey is doing is making $$$ and the vetting process is iffy at best.

You can spend zero learning about the steps in Ramsey's plan. It's online or his books are in the library.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,128 times
Looked at both ELPs from dave ramsey in our community, because we believe in his principles and were debt free except for home. one went really low on value of our house, the other thought it was worth what we listed and we went with him, because he was an ELP for dave ramsey, knew him from community and respected him. Wish we had known that they pay to get on list to begin with. We did sell our house for little below what asked, but was a VA loan and we spent lots of money to do updates, plus new county rules that had to put in new septic tanks. Very trying and disappointing experience, realtors -ours and theirs-got their money, realtor was retiring and in florida majority of time and we had to call and check on everything to make sure things were getting done. We were out of state, extended closing related to needs of lender for buyer, then neither realtor or land title followed up with getting our loan pay off amount, which ended up costing us $1000 more in interest to mortgage company. In retrospect we would have gone with one of the first realtors we interviewed, not a dave ramsey ELP. We have sold and purchased homes prior, this time has been a terrible experience.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I was very disappointed in the realtor I chose based on DR. Both the buyer of my condo and myself felt she was very unprofessional.

Yes, its great being debt-free but I didn't need him to tell me that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate