U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:27 PM

14,353 posts, read 20,632,395 times

Advertisements

We found our dream home; if only we could pick it up and move it somewhere else....

Sadly the houses that have everything we want are out of our price range; not by much, but enough. With mortgages being so stringent now; you can see whay the market is in such a slump.

One house we saw I loved. In the scheme of things it wasn't much more than our price. But we are required to put 10% down or we can't get our mortgage. So basically we are screwed. But we did find one we like very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 AM

9,234 posts, read 20,279,604 times
My dad moved 7 blocks from me, he built a modular home that I helped him pick out. Long story short he was diagnosed with cancer a few days before his closing. He owned the new house about 7 months when he passed. I knew my mother hated it here, he told her that she could sell us the house for a reasonable price. He knew we loved the house, we worked in it like it was our own, planting my dads veggie garden, planting gardens around the house plus putting down top soil & seeding.

At one point I had back surgery, house was put on the market. We found out by driving by. We got an agent to put an offer in which was rejected. Once I was able to walk I went to speak to my mother who said that she'd sell us the house if no one wanted to buy it when the contract expired, the story then changed to yes, I'll sell you the house after it had been listed for 4 months. We started getting our house ready for sale to find out that the house was under contract, we didn't even get a call to counter. The story was that one sister wouldn't "let her" sell us the house.

That was our dream house - a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath rancher with basement and an attic you can stand in. My heart still hurts from losing the house.

We decided to move anyway, looking around here and different parts of NJ. With my dad gone I wasn't tied here. I looked in 4 counties, never finding anything like that house. I'd have to say that I walked a good 50 used houses, drove by just as many plus we walked every new community in those 4 counties. To say my hubby and I walked another 50 to 70 new houses would be a good estimate. 7 months later we finally found "the one" but it's nothing like my dad's & I would gladly not move into it if my dad's went back on the market.

We'll end up staying there about 10 years then will find a state to move to and build something like my dads.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:10 AM

21,913 posts, read 20,945,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My dad moved 7 blocks from me, he built a modular home that I helped him pick out. Long story short he was diagnosed with cancer a few days before his closing. He owned the new house about 7 months when he passed. I knew my mother hated it here, he told her that she could sell us the house for a reasonable price. He knew we loved the house, we worked in it like it was our own, planting my dads veggie garden, planting gardens around the house plus putting down top soil & seeding.

At one point I had back surgery, house was put on the market. We found out by driving by. We got an agent to put an offer in which was rejected. Once I was able to walk I went to speak to my mother who said that she'd sell us the house if no one wanted to buy it when the contract expired, the story then changed to yes, I'll sell you the house after it had been listed for 4 months. We started getting our house ready for sale to find out that the house was under contract, we didn't even get a call to counter. The story was that one sister wouldn't "let her" sell us the house.

That was our dream house - a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath rancher with basement and an attic you can stand in. My heart still hurts from losing the house.

We decided to move anyway, looking around here and different parts of NJ. With my dad gone I wasn't tied here. I looked in 4 counties, never finding anything like that house. I'd have to say that I walked a good 50 used houses, drove by just as many plus we walked every new community in those 4 counties. To say my hubby and I walked another 50 to 70 new houses would be a good estimate. 7 months later we finally found "the one" but it's nothing like my dad's & I would gladly not move into it if my dad's went back on the market.

We'll end up staying there about 10 years then will find a state to move to and build something like my dads.
Thanks for sharing your story---although very sad it does say a lot! I suppose it depends on what a person is looking for as to how long it may take to find a home. In my opinion you would probably never find the home you want because you had more then a home you were looking for---you were looking for your memories and heart and soul that were in your fathers home. My personal opinion is I agree with you about building your own home to be as much like your fathers home that you loved so much! Good luck.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:19 AM

My son and his wife have been looking for 3 weeks daily now. It been like veuvegirl said about so many just being just a tad over what they would like to pay. Since they have one child and one on the way the neighborhood is very important plus they would like a nice yard. My son also would like to be able to convert a garage or find a home with a guest house for his father as his father is living alone now and is not getting any younger. I'm very proud of my son for thinking about his father is his future and to be caring enough to plan for him as well. But this does make his home search a bit more difficult. Good things happen to good people and I try to stay positive for them all.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Thanks for sharing your story---although very sad it does say a lot! I suppose it depends on what a person is looking for as to how long it may take to find a home. In my opinion you would probably never find the home you want because you had more then a home you were looking for---you were looking for your memories and heart and soul that were in your fathers home. My personal opinion is I agree with you about building your own home to be as much like your fathers home that you loved so much! Good luck.
While I was looking to make the memories in his house that he couldn't, the house was perfect - the master was large, had a nice sized closet, decent bathroom and was away from the other 2 bedrooms. I could not find another rancher that had the master away from the other rooms.

We also looked for property because we still had the option to build his house on another piece of land but couldn't find property.

When you know what kind of house you need it puts that much against you when looking for a used house or even looking in communities like the one we bought in, hardly any of the builders had decent sized ranchers, there was always something wrong such as a very tiny kitchen.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Yes, I agree! We were fortunate in CA because we had a ranch style home and also had a master bedroom away from the rest of the house. Our kitchen was huge and lots of cupboard space. When we bought here in NC it was nothing like our old home but we are working at making it better as we go along by remodeling---lots of work and $$.

3,653 posts, read 7,281,714 times
I'm still looking for my dream home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
My son and his wife have been looking for 3 weeks daily now. It been like veuvegirl said about so many just being just a tad over what they would like to pay. Since they have one child and one on the way the neighborhood is very important plus they would like a nice yard. My son also would like to be able to convert a garage or find a home with a guest house for his father as his father is living alone now and is not getting any younger. I'm very proud of my son for thinking about his father is his future and to be caring enough to plan for him as well. But this does make his home search a bit more difficult. Good things happen to good people and I try to stay positive for them all.
How about a 4 bedroom house with one bedroom down? I did see a few builders that were doing this although it isn't that common. When we did see it, the neighborhoods were the pits.

If they can find a builder that offers what they want, they can ask the builder if they will build on a lot your son finds. One builder we loved (again built in the crummy neighborhood) sent us an email after we'd just bought saying they now build on your lots.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 AM

All good ideas and thanks. My son is looking to buy a home that is a few years old in an established neighborhood. They are living with us right now and are anxious to find a home. With a 5 year old ready to start school this next year and a new baby on the way they are obviously ready to find their own home. I know it takes time as we just went through this whole issue last year ourselves. We also had the same kind of problems because my hubbie either wanted a home with a huge outbuilding for a shop for him or the land to build one and the home being priced low enough for us to do it. We finally found our home and it had 2 acres and we had our shop built.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM

finding 2 acres in a great town would have suited us too! lol
Hubby drives a tractor trailor so parking it on our property would have been ideal but didn't happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate