U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,724,391 times

Advertisements

Check with some lenders also and see if they will lend on a log home.

I'm in a different part of the country than you. However, where I am , lenders are very wary of anything that is not your run of the mill home. There is a big, well constructed log home a couple of towns away from me. The real estate agent for that home has put it under deposit five times in the past year.

Each time the deal has fallen through because there is no lender that will write a loan on it. While log homes are not at all unusual here, there are no comparable sales that meet the " sold within the town, within the past several months and not too many miles away" parameter that lenders seem to be seeking.
There must a lender out there but no one has found the right one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 AM

10,088 posts, read 10,576,724 times
I used to want a log house, and aesthetically I still like them.

Contrary to what you might think, though, the R value of log walls is pretty low.
Energy Efficiency in Log Homes | Department of Energy

For that reason alone I would steer clear of them.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM

939 posts, read 998,516 times
Log homes have a poor resale value, bet you can find an existing one well priced.

I would go post and beam modular, like a Yankee Barn home. They are super well insulated, fantastic construction and have a rural feel to them.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 PM

5,439 posts, read 6,095,407 times
Well, so far you have quite a diverse commentary.

And it is probably warranted.

Log homes come in many styles....from very high quality scribed round logs (the traditional 'log cabin' look) to very low quality "manufactured logs" that look horrible and last even less. Costs run from very high (like 150% of 'stick built') to just about in line with traditional construction. A GOOD log home is not cheap.

And log homes come with their challenges. Shrinking, where to run utilities, creating interior walls, finding an experienced log home builder, and sealing/upkeep just to name a couple. They have limited resale--someone either wants one, or they don't.

My suggestion is to do a LOT of research and homework. Go to trade shows and look at the various products. Talk with contractors who have put up log homes. Meet with companies who build the shells (the actual log part for a round log, scribed home), and speak with people who have used log home companies and builders/contractors in your area.

I did a LOT of research on log homes. There are plenty of books out there. Read a LOT of them. You might also start with Maple Island Log Homes--they do some nice stuff and have a firm understanding of what it takes to do a quality job. Home - Custom handcrafted log homes by Maple Island Log Homes Many years ago they did a job with the "Hometime" series. I would bet that the show is available on You Tube if you dig around. Once again, it gives you an idea of what is involved to do a proper log home.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:47 AM

20 posts, read 30,684 times
As per me if you get a house in good condition or area. from length also then its better if you buy already existing home. Well on the other hand if you want to build your dream home according to your need or by your own way or design, then it would be better if you go with custom home built.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 PM

9,304 posts, read 17,909,090 times
Due to the drawbacks of log homes, if it were me, I'd think about why I want a log house. What is it about log houses that I wanted and does it have to be a log house to get the same thing?

Is it because they are rural? Well, there's lots of houses that are rural without being log houses.

Is it because of the way they look? How about a veneer of logs on the inside or outside of conventional construction? You get the look without a lot of the drawbacks.

Is it because of the perceived lifestyle?

Is your perception of "log house" the same as everyone elses? Would post and beam work? Would rustic decor be what you're looking for?

Frequently, I see folks who want a certain something and then when they get it, it's not anything like they imagined it to be at all.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:50 PM

13,193 posts, read 11,704,733 times
I love the idea of living in a log home, but they don't really exist where I'm from...probably why I love the idea of them. I've never actually been in one, but they look great on TV!

Old 10-27-2014, 04:03 PM

6,078 posts, read 6,988,679 times
Karlf1, what trees are used for the logs in your area? Perhaps they have harder/tighter grain than those used in the US?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,935,030 times
You have to build it, otherwise it's just a pile of logs.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:26 PM

4,130 posts, read 19,668,268 times
I see I posted on this thread almost 4 years ago. Interesting.
We have lots of log homes in my area because of the Smoky Mountains and lots of cabin rentals around here.
I would say that every one I have see were kit homes, meaning they were not constructed from logs cut on the property, and the logs were milled.

I just inspected one last week that was only 9 years old, but has not been maintained. It was also built during the heyday where they were throwing these things up as fast as they could. This one was probably built with logs not quite as dry as they should have been. The logs had "checked" (large cracks in the surface) extensively, and had some shrinkage at joints where I could see daylight thru the walls.

There were also some structural issues, but they would have been there regardless if it was log or stick built.

Running electrical is not as hard as you might think. Interior walls are also not really a problem.
Unless I already owned a specific lot where I wanted a cabin, I would probably try to find one I liked, about 10 years old, and inspect it thoroughly. Building one has too many potential problems for me to want to tackle, but thats just me.

I have been hired as an expert witness too many times on new construction to want to tackle it with a log home, that has some pretty specific potential issues.

Log homes do not have poor resale value in my area (there are lots of log homes in the mountains here). If anything, they sell pretty well. But they are not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or