U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:30 PM

222 posts, read 524,300 times

Advertisements

In case I need to rent a house I can't sell.....

Assuming you're a dog owner, what do you look for when you look for a house to rent? And what do you avoid? The inside is fine; I'm just concerned with the yard.

I have 1/3 acre, the back yard is large, fenced, lots of shade, perfect for dogs. I planted numerous trees and shrubs; it's very pretty and private, but mowing the back yard is a pain. Is this a big issue?

Bottom line from a tenant's perspective...does finding a landlord who allows dogs outweigh the drudgery of mowing with lots of stops and turns?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 03:04 PM

222 posts, read 524,300 times
Sorry, should have put this in other forum.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,815,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
does finding a landlord who allows dogs outweigh the drudgery of mowing with lots of stops and turns?

Thanks.
Every single time. I have an 80+ pound dog. It is hard enough to find someone who will rent to me. I could care less about mowing around a few trees.

You have the essentials that I look for, a fenced in yard and a willingness to rent to me.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM

380 posts, read 1,565,007 times
Quote:
Bottom line from a tenant's perspective...does finding a landlord who allows dogs outweigh the drudgery of mowing with lots of stops and turns?
Yes, especially since my husband does the mowing. We too look for fenced yard and a dog-friendly landlord.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:15 PM

380 posts, read 1,565,007 times
Oh, and you'll probably get more info from the rentals board, but be sure to note dogs okay on your rental listing (though you'd want a larger security deposit!). There are some websites that specifically list properties that are dog-friendly so you could check those out too.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 PM

56 posts, read 224,336 times
No, it wouldn't be an issue to me. After living in an apt for a few years, I actually welcome the work/care that comes with a yard! I think most people like PP noted, are happy to find a dog-friendly landlord with a nice yard.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM

663 posts, read 1,489,015 times
I don't care about a fenced in yard .... or the mowability of it. I usually walk my dogs anyway.

As long as you are willing to rent to me with my two 12 pound dogs and the place is clean and in a nice neighborhood, I am happy camper and I will probably love you.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 AM

8,540 posts, read 6,560,392 times
Why is it that landlords will rent to folks with tons of kids, but it's hard to find one to rent to dog owners...I could see having the tenant pay a security and cleaning deposit, but I have seen kids totally destroy a home and most pets are better behaved. Just curious. That is one reason why, when our home sells, we would love to rent in our new area, but I doubt we could find anyone to rent us a decent home since we have 3 dogs....they are not puppies, they do not chew or dig....I would have no problem setting up a cleaning deposit..

Maybe that's just me..I think I would rather rent to a pet owner than someone with tons of kids. We are in southern Utah, most of the kids I see here are just running amok.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 AM

2,248 posts, read 5,912,435 times
Because you can't discriminate against kids. Dogs are not protected by law.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 AM

782 posts, read 1,708,646 times
Quote:

Thanks.
You will be innundated with people wanting to rent your house who will be SO grateful to find a pet friendly landlord (especially large dog owners - if you say in your ad "All dogs welcome - no breed or size restrictions - must meet your dog before signing lease")

I know so many dogs have lost their homes because their owners were forced to move (such as job changes) - yet were unable to find a rental that allowed their large friendly dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate