Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM

175 posts, read 602,153 times

Advertisements

I will be putting my house up for sale and will be trying to sell it without an agent. We have sold 2 homes and bought 3 before by ourselves but it was in 1998 and 2003-not this kind of market. What do you say to a real estate agent when they call saying they have people interested? Do you tell them they can see the house with their clients as a buyers agent? Or do you just say no thank you. Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Well, it depends, I guess. Are you willing to work with buyers that have an agent representing their interests? Are you willing to pay the buyer's agent's commission? Do you want to expose your home to every possible buyer, or do you want to be picky based on whether or not they have a professional working for them? (It's fine to be picky, on whatever legal criteria you want, as long as you are aware that it may limit the pool of buyers that you'll be pulling from.)

What did you say before when you sold homes in 1998 and 2003 when a buyer's agent called?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
It depends on what you are willing to do and how much you need to sell. If you are willing to pay 3% or whatever to get it sold by all means let them show it. If you so opposed to paying anything then turn them down.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
I can't understand why you wouldn't want to entertain a possible offer. If it's a matter of the money, why wouldn't you just factor in the commission into the final sales price? Wouldn't it be best to try to get an offer on the table (then negotiate a higher price) instead of rejecting it flat out?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
I am always amazed as an agent when a fsbo will not pay 3% to get a buyer into their home................ if your area is depressed - it makes no sense not to. that being said, if your area is booming (some are) then take your chances. I am not going to show a home and not get paid, I mean I dont do pro bono work... and usually when i take a fsbo for a buyer, it means I will be doing your work as well......

Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,385 times
As a regular person (not a realtor), I could not imagine how you could afford to say no. You need to explore all avenues of selling your home...and expect to pay the buyer's agent commission.

One word of advice. Make sure the agents calling you have ACTUAL QUALIFIED buyers. Sometimes agents will call to come and see your home because they really want to talk you into listing with them.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
I will be putting my house up for sale and will be trying to sell it without an agent. We have sold 2 homes and bought 3 before by ourselves but it was in 1998 and 2003-not this kind of market. What do you say to a real estate agent when they call saying they have people interested? Do you tell them they can see the house with their clients as a buyers agent? Or do you just say no thank you. Any advice would be great.
I can't see any good reason to just say no thank you. You'll be missing the biggest part of the market if you do. Because the serious truth is that MOST SERIOUS BUYERS ARE WORKING WITH AN AGENT.
As you get ready to field those phone calls, contemplate the issue of commission, and your position on it. A buyers agent will want to et paid. As the seller, you will be asked about that, and whether you will be paying the buyer agent comission. There's no wrong answer to that question, but you need to know your answer and be able to communicate it.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 AM

175 posts, read 602,153 times
I'm not looking to turn a buyer away, I just didn't know my options when speaking to the realtors. Thanks for the suggestions about offering a lesser commission if they bring the buyer in.

Someone mentioned that serious buyers work with agents but I was a serious buyer who worked with agent and looked on my own-3x-and have always managed to buy on our own. The last house we bought-are in contract for-I found by mailing letters to all the houses we were interested in-about 60. The homeowner called and we were able to strike a deal in this market where we are both pretty happy.

We'll see how this goes-my market is not as tough as many-but this is a whole new ball of wax.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 86,094 times
Hi, I just wanted to mention to make sure you set your price correctly. I just sold my house FSBO (in 3 weeks! --we got really lucky). We tried to price our house for very close to what we thought it was worth, but we did forget to factor in the buyer's agents that would call wanting 3%. This meant that we needed almost a full price offer to get what we thought our house was worth. In addition, people really feel like they want a "deal". We tried to factor in the down market when setting a price, but we did get a couple of low balls within the first two days. I think we almost would have been better off upping our price a little so that we could come down and people would feel like they were getting a deal. We ended up selling to someone without a realtor and I am very thankful we sold. That's my two cents! Best of luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM

126 posts, read 688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
The last house we bought-are in contract for-I found by mailing letters to all the houses we were interested in-about 60. .
As a buyer, I don't have the time to do this so I have hired an agent. I would not even step foot in a house without my agent involved in the transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate