U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:41 AM

384 posts, read 1,240,136 times
Default Do Real Estate Agents have to disclose if someone died in a house that is for sale

I am sure it varies state to state, but in my house search in the Tampa area I came across a house that I liked very much. I have a link to the sheriff's office website to search police activity in neighborhoods just to see what kind of things are going on. I was looking in one neighborhood and to my surprise, the exact house in this neighborhood that I like says "Death Investigation" in May and a case number. I can probably find out what happened thru my agent, but it got me thinking about this and I was wondering if RE agents have to disclose if someone dies in a house. I mean, I know people die all of the time, and lots die at home, but what if it was a homicide? I guess all of the neighbors would tell someone AFTER they bought the house. I really don't want to live in a house where something weird happened there. In this house, the pictures show little kids rooms so it isn't an elderly couple or anything which if that was the case then I would expect a death to be a reason to sell. This property was just listed so the death in the home prompted the sale. Does anyone know what the rules are about disclosure in FL? Thanks!

Last edited by sueinge; 06-02-2008 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:23 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,793,328 times
No. Pursuant to Section 689.25, Florida Statutes, a homicide, suicide or death needn’t be disclosed to a prospective buyer in a real estate transaction because it’s not a material fact that requires disclosure.

This doesn't mean you can't ask what happened of course. It could give you extra leverage in negotiating.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 AM

16,162 posts, read 21,801,705 times
In Texas, we must disclose only if the death was related to the house (a fall down stairs, a faulty heating unit that caused a death, something like that). If someone simply died of old age or illness in the house, we're not required to disclose, and if it was HIV/AIDS-related, we're not allowed to disclose.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 AM

3,273 posts, read 10,192,068 times
I inspected a house up for auction once and there was an odd stain on the floor, and wall in a bedroom. A neighbor came over while I was going through the house and told me the owner had shot herself in the bedroom. No one bothered to clean up the mess. I asked the auction guy and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,793,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I inspected a house up for auction once and there was an odd stain on the floor, and wall in a bedroom. A neighbor came over while I was going through the house and told me the owner had shot herself in the bedroom. No one bothered to clean up the mess. I asked the auction guy and he just shrugged his shoulders.
Those are some of the hardest stains to get up.
Probably why they just decided to leave it for the buyer.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:27 AM

384 posts, read 1,240,136 times

Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 10,944,567 times
In CA any death in the home in the past 3 years must be disclosed and what's really weird is if AIDS was the cause of death, you can't disclose that.

My wife is a Hospice nurse and natural (painless) death in a home is exactly what they try to achieve.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 AM

10,797 posts, read 17,758,087 times
In Oregon we are not required to diclose any deaths in the home regardless of the cause.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:15 PM

17,410 posts, read 16,060,492 times
We just sold a house here in DFW where a suicide occurred. While the seller did not have to disclose by state law, she did include it on the disclosure. We also made the buyer sign that he knew of the death.

All of this was done as a law suit preventer.

There would be nothing as bad as someone buying a home and then the next day all your neighbors telling you about the guy that shot himself in the master bedroom. The place even gave me the creeps.

Also, we sold an aunts home where 25 years earlier her partner committed suicide. It was not disclosed since it was so far back in history.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM

181 posts, read 544,454 times
I'm in TX. and when we bought our house we asked if any "violent crimes and or death had occured in the home." The Seller said no. I wouldn't of wanted the house if something had happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate