Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Neighbors say police officers have been out twice, but say they can't make the destruction stop.
"They told me that it is not against the law to destroy the interior of your own house," said Empette.

This isn't against the law? Hrmmm...seems like it would be.
Is it your home, or the banks? I've always assumed it was the banks until the note was paid off.

Can someone shed some light on this? It's fascinating. "I can't afford it, so I'll destroy it."

I'll tell you a story. I had a girlfriend, who had a sister. This sister dated a guy named Larry. Larry had a beautiful orange 76 nova. Cherry. Leather interior. Would make you cry, it was so nice.

Larry was over at my girlfriend's apartment, with her sister. We had a good time and they left. Her sister came back upstairs a few minutes later. His car wouldn't start. I came outside and was about to walk downstairs when I hear "YOU MOTHER*******!!!@#@##@ CAR@#@#@!! MOTHER#$@#@#@# and then I hear "BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!!"

He had taken out his tire tool and had started punching holes in the fender of the car, all while screaming obscenities. Once he got that out of his system, he came back in and said "Car won't start."

They eventually got married. I think she left him after taking 5 years or so of beatings. She was a cute girl. When I saw last saw her, I think she was 25. She looked about ~ 45.

A personal pet peeve of mine is when people think they are entitled to everything, yet do very little to deserve it. Oh, well. It takes all kinds, I suppose.

Las Vegas Now | Homeowner Destroys House Before Foreclosure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Destroying a house that you are fixing to lose proves the immaturity lurking in many of those who pretty much over bought to begin with.IMO. You would think the note holder could press some kind of charges , but then if they can't get the house $$ they probably wouldn't get anything else...

True, there were many mortgage lenders, realtors etc. that added to the mix of not dealing with reality, but ultimately one is responsbile for their own destiny and often times hard lessons are learned along the way.

Speaking of losing a house, has anyone else heard recently that banks,etc. may be sending out 1099 forms to foreclosurees, based on the loss and taxes will have to be paid on that amount....or heard something like that??? Are they, will they?

Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
A few months ago, Cramer, tongue in cheek, suggested that the U.S. Goverment bull doze homes, in foreclosure. His point was that if the Government was going to bail everyone out, why not do it the right way and eliminate the excess inventory.

The more I think about this, the more value I see in this crazy idea.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I don't know that I would worry to much about a 1099 -- would a borrower really walk away from a place unless they really were insolvent?

I suppose technically that "forgiveness" could be treated as income and the lender might send a 1099-A, but the is covered by Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 -- http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f982.pdf

Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Speaking of losing a house, has anyone else heard recently that banks,etc. may be sending out 1099 forms to foreclosurees, based on the loss and taxes will have to be paid on that amount....or heard something like that??? Are they, will they?
It all depends......

Double-Whammy-Foreclosure-and-Taxes: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Sounds pretty authoritative:

Real Estate Blog - 1099 REPORTING - IT'S THE LAW! - OR IS IT???

Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
I would think that in most states, a lienholder has legal rights and can prevent you from destroying the value of the property on which they have a lien. Not sure if it's criminal, but there would absolutely be civil penalties for destroying the value of the house.

As someone else stated, this just shows the childish immaturity of some people. It's not surprising, just disappointing.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
This isn't against the law? Hrmmm...seems like it would be.
Is it your home, or the banks? I've always assumed it was the banks until the note was paid off.
No, YOU own your house, not the bank. With, of course the exception of foreclosures.

In the case of real estate, the Mortgagee is the lender or bank. The Mortgagor is the borrower. The borrower is the one who is giving the mortgage to the bank...it's not the bank is giving a mortgage to the borrower. The bank takes the MORTGAGE (not the property) and holds it until that particular property is paid off.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I know of party in Denver quite awhile back who took out home equity loan with no intention of paying back,stripped home,transferred vacation home to mother.Home was 95 percent paid for.When gov't got thru with him he had to go to chapter 7.They took every penney he had.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I don't know that I would worry to much about a 1099 -- would a borrower really walk away from a place unless they really were insolvent?

I suppose technically that "forgiveness" could be treated as income and the lender might send a 1099-A, but the is covered by Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 -- http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f982.pdf
The answer to that is...YES.
I've seen several people who took out bad loans go buy another, less expensive home (w/ a better loan) before their credit went belly up and the original house foreclosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate