Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oh, we're breaking out the wine tonight! And maybe tomorrow. And the next night
You might save your wine for the night you get your 1st offer. Many Buyers read the news, think the market is bad everywhere and think they can lowball most offers.

Hopefully you'll have the problem of mulitple offers & which full price offer to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You might save your wine for the night you get your 1st offer. Many Buyers read the news, think the market is bad everywhere and think they can lowball most offers.

Hopefully you'll have the problem of mulitple offers & which full price offer to choose.
If you only knew how much work we put into getting the house ready! Any occasion is one to celebrate, as far as we're concerned. I've never had to move so much stuff in my life. 2 storage units full of stuff and we've still got stuff inside the house! I don't know how it all fit in the house to begin with, to be honest. We're moving to a house that's 75% bigger (1600 to 2800), so I think it should all fit there. I shudder to think what it'll be like to move out of *that* house!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,845 times
sbanawan we are not trying to burst your bubble here. It's exciting to think oh we are sellin, oh we are gonna be moving to the dream home, ect. Right now we all need to be realistic and think in long terms in the market for sellers. It is not easy by any means. I hope you get a great offer real fast but if not I dont want you to have great big high expectations because the higher they are the harder you fall. I am not an agent or a pro at this, just another seller who thought it could sell in 30 days, lol

Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM

88 posts, read 273,245 times
Good luck sbanawan! We were so excited and nervous when we put our house on the market at the end of April. We are now in the Austin area looking for a home after closing on our other house last week. I saw houses on the market for months and months in my old area. My neighbor and I put our houses on the market the same week and hers sold in 3 days. Mine sold about 3 -4 weeks later, but we had to be very flexible with the offer we accepted. We got less than we wanted, but at least we are on the other side of the real estate transaction now. I've noticed more houses are moving in my old area now.

The whole country is different. I had to stop watching CNN when we were on the market because it was completely depressing. I've discovered I'm a natural pessimist. I don't recommend that. Even though the fall could be tougher for an optimist if things don't work out at least you are not depressed and bringing your whole family down in the mean time. I tried hard to fight my pessimism every step of the way but my self preservation instincts won out and I had a very negative emotional home selling experience. I cannot even imagine how I would have been if my home had been on the market for a year or more. I hope you are able to keep your chin up and remain positive and optimistic through the ups and downs you will experience.

Here's hoping for a fun, positive, headache free sale of your home!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM

426 posts, read 1,455,656 times
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Our situation is that we're in no rush to sell since we won't be closing on our currently-in-the-design-phase-home until the end of Feb 2009. We thought we'd give this selling season a shot and if it doesn't work out, we've got all of 2009's season to move it. Even if it doesn't sell until this time next year, we'll only have 2 mortgages to carry for a few months. And we wouldn't have to worry about moving into an apartment while our new house gets finished.

I'm feeling sanguine about the whole process. We've done what we can and we can't sweat the rest.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
we've finally done it. After months of preparation and decluttering and renovating and cleaning, we're finally ready. It took us so long to get to this point but now i feel like our house is as good as it's going to get. There's nothing else we could possibly do to make our house sell. We priced it competitively and we did everything all those "how to sell your home yesterday!" sites tell us to.

Wish us luck!
luck luck luck!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,401 times
Good luck, we tried for 6 months in the same town, many showings, no negative feedback and many hours of cleaning, we took it off the market. You almost have to price it below the comps, but who knows maybe the right buyer will see it or you have a great agent to help get it sold.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
It took 6 weeks for us to sell in Durham, but we sold at near full price, as did most of our neighbors who sold this year. My friends who lived in an older area of durham sold in 2 days after putting it on the market, supposedly there are realtors who eye specific areas and these home go very quickly at full price. There are houses that have sat for a long time in SW Durham (I know one house that the seller refused to sell over some $500 repair, and his house is still on the market 6 months later!), but as long as your house is priced competitively and you've taken care of it, you will do alright in that area. Good luck and keep us up to date!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,807 times
Good Luck!! We've had our house for sale for about 3 months. For the first month, I cleaned and polished every am and pm, put everything in it's place, etc. now, I don't bother. The market where Im at is pretty much dead. Im curious how others are doing in different areas?? Wish you all the best!!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:04 PM

152 posts, read 432,586 times
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate