Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 AM

218 posts, read 708,357 times

Advertisements

I'm finally pre-approved in California. I don't see as many great real-estate deals in my price range as what I was hoping to see from a first time buyers stand-point, so,,,, if sales arn't as good in winter months as they are in the spring-time months (for homes with in ground pools) could I expect better pricing to come my way in a few short months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
No one can say for sure. If you find something you like, make an offer and if you don't then keep looking and make an offer when you do. What a house is worth is determined by what the buyer is willing to pay for it so just find what you like and go for it. So many people are trying to "time" the market and see when the bottom will be. Personally I think that is fine if you are an investor (and by that I mean true investors, not home owners who want to appreciate) but if you are looking for a home to live in b/c that is what makes you comfortable and if that is your dream then buy when you find something you like and what you can afford.

Buying a home doesn't have to be all doom and gloom and doesn't need to be in the chicken little category. Yes the market has turned but it is a circle and it will come back up.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,027 times
I agree with twinmma. Keep on top of the market in your area. Don't jump just because you can. When you locate the right house in the right neighborhood make an offer.
Good luck

Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,199 times
Yes but consider also that you don't know what will happen after elections, which are the winter months...!
Good luck..

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bungle View Post
if sales arn't as good in winter months as they are in the spring-time months (for homes with in ground pools) could I expect better pricing to come my way in a few short months?
The classic real estate saying is something like "seller's are more flexible in the winter because they have to sell (otherwise they'd take the house off the market for the holidays, at least.) And on the buyer's side: "buyers shopping in the winter are more serious (otherwise they'd be shopping and going to Christmas parties). This year, I think sellers in many areas would wrestle you to the ground and lock you in the cellar, they want that deal so badly. That doesn't mean it's open season on sellers, they will resent it if you manhandle them, and a fair transaction is better for everyone.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Do you have anything to lose by making offers?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 PM

92 posts, read 364,723 times
Hmm...With an outside inground pool, I'd imagine it's better to start making offers when it's too cold to use the pool.
And there are downside to making offers: If you make a series of low offers, your agent will start to lose patience. Also, it takes time/effort to think about the fair value of a home, especially given this risky market. I'd wait a couple of months, given your situation - unless you see a great deal on a home you love!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM

218 posts, read 708,357 times
Default Bank owned only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Do you have anything to lose by making offers?
Good Point, Thankx! (No I don't)
And to clarify for everyone else, the only homes being sold in my area now-a-days are owned by the banks and not by folks. so......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate