Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:16 AM

24 posts, read 35,681 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to put an offer on a foreclosed home we found online. We had an agent show us the home and we are ready to put an offer down. The house has been on the market for 14 mos. and is priced very high at $499 (originally $529 w/ one price decrease). I checked comps and found recently a home (w/ 200 more sq ft) sold for $350. As well as two other homes that sold for $368 and $375 that were in better condition in the same neighborhood. We contacted our real estate agent to tell her we want to place an offer of approx $350. She replied by saying how are we going to get the bank to come down from $499 to $350? Well I would think the comps would support our offer as well as other houses in the neighbor hood that are listed much lower than $499 and are much bigger. She has not responded to us again about the house we are interested in. But she does keep emailing us other listings. On the day we saw the house she contacted the listing agent who did inform her she has over 180 listings (maybe the listing agent hasn't kept up w/ the listing and this is why it is still listed so high).

Do you think we should put our offer in anyway? Should we try to find another agent (we have not signed the agent/ buyer agreement yet)? I know purchasing a foreclosure is a long process but we are willing to wait. Also most of the houses in the area are short sale or foreclosure. I am just frustrated b/c I know the house is not worth the listing price and I think if we could show the bank the comps to back up our offer we may have a shot. We are preapproved for a loan and have money to put down.

Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Foreclosures should not be a long process once you have an accepted offer.
Finding the right one could take a while.

Tell the agent you want to make an offer at the $350K or whatever you think is right.
If the agent will not present the offer find another agent.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
first off, if $350k is a comp for a non-foreclosure listing why are you offering that for a foreclosure, it doesn't make any sense. Offer 20% less than comps, around $280k or so.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
first off, if $350k is a comp for a non-foreclosure listing why are you offering that for a foreclosure, it doesn't make any sense. Offer 20% less than comps, around $280k or so.
So you think I should be offering less then $350 b/c I am dealing w/ a foreclosure property? My agent seems to think $350 is asking too much off. I think I am going to find a new agent. She hasn't been helpful so far. I asked her for comps in the neighborhood and she gave me comps of much bigger homes that sold higher then their asking price (short sale properties). So I had already done my research and gave her the info I had on comps (I just wanted to see what she would come up with, kind of testing her). She said "oh I just randomly pooled comps. Once we find a neighborhood we like then she will do more research." I feel like I could do better myself. I think $280 is a little low but I was thinking $325 - $345.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
If the house is listed at $499k you have a very slim chance of them going down to $350k. But get someone to write the offer & submit it.

If you don't ask you don't get but don't get your feelings hurt if the tell you to get lost.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
There was a home going for 300K in a neighborhood I know........
Someone looked up what was owed and then did offer the full amount.
The bank turned down that amount.........
It is a year later and the home still sits empty. It still has to pay its taxes and
it is getting to be an eyesore.........
I can not, nor can others figure out why the bank would not accept. Thats very strange...........What were they waiting for? Still waiting for?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:32 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I can not, nor can others figure out why the bank would not accept. Thats very strange...........What were they waiting for? Still waiting for?
Presumably, a miracle. As long as they don't accept a low offer they don't have to put it in the loss column. And some hapless schlemiel in the loan department gets to keep his job for one more day. Maybe.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Presumably, a miracle. As long as they don't accept a low offer they don't have to put it in the loss column. And some hapless schlemiel in the loan department gets to keep his job for one more day. Maybe.
This is very true, they may have it on the books at a price & can't afford to show the loss.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM2002 View Post
My husband and I want to put an offer on a foreclosed home we found online. We had an agent show us the home and we are ready to put an offer down. The house has been on the market for 14 mos. and is priced very high at $499 (originally $529 w/ one price decrease). I checked comps and found recently a home (w/ 200 more sq ft) sold for $350. As well as two other homes that sold for $368 and $375 that were in better condition in the same neighborhood. We contacted our real estate agent to tell her we want to place an offer of approx $350. She replied by saying how are we going to get the bank to come down from $499 to $350? Well I would think the comps would support our offer as well as other houses in the neighbor hood that are listed much lower than $499 and are much bigger. She has not responded to us again about the house we are interested in. But she does keep emailing us other listings. On the day we saw the house she contacted the listing agent who did inform her she has over 180 listings (maybe the listing agent hasn't kept up w/ the listing and this is why it is still listed so high).

Do you think we should put our offer in anyway? Should we try to find another agent (we have not signed the agent/ buyer agreement yet)? I know purchasing a foreclosure is a long process but we are willing to wait. Also most of the houses in the area are short sale or foreclosure. I am just frustrated b/c I know the house is not worth the listing price and I think if we could show the bank the comps to back up our offer we may have a shot. We are preapproved for a loan and have money to put down.

Any advice???
499 to 350 is a big jump. Your agent should do the CMA. I'm skeptical a bank would list that much higher than the price analysis indicated. Perhaps you used bad comparables or perhaps the bank just overpriced it. Consult your agent for the best info.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
499 to 350 is a big jump. Your agent should do the CMA. I'm skeptical a bank would list that much higher than the price analysis indicated. Perhaps you used bad comparables or perhaps the bank just overpriced it. Consult your agent for the best info.

I have done some extensive research on this neighborhood. I have been looking at this neighborhood for about a year. I have been keeping track of the listings and I am able to verify this information on the county taxation record website. There is a house a little bit larger on the market (short sale) for $375. I would go after that house (and still may) but I just think the house for $499 is more of what I am looking for. I have no idea why the bank has the house listed at this price. I wish I knew. But to be on the market for 14 mos. is a very long time. And to only decrease the price one time. While homes that are larger are selling for less???

I asked my agent for comparables. She gave me 3 or 4 houses that are much bigger homes. They sold 10k more then listing price. They sold around $415. I gave her the info I have and she said she will have to do more research. Well we have given her days to do that research and still nothing. The houses I looked up are closer to the same size as the house I am looking at. Not sure why she used comps that are not the same size????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate