Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
BTW, if you emailed him on Sat. I would think that as long as he got back within 1 business day that should do.
Ah, that's the magic word. What is a business day to a reator ? Do weekends count ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM

87 posts, read 315,686 times
Default Unreasonable ...

unless they are having a family emergency or other pressing problems, I don't think it's reasonable, especially considering your realtor's other actions.

Our realtor always responds within the same day, even if it is to let us know she will get back to us with more info. She also has us setup on a website, so we can log in and access any feedback left from potential buyers' agents.

Our agent isn't a big fan of open houses either, but would hold one if we decided to. Flyers were printed the day we listed. Your agent can't do anything about a slow market but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a response within 24 hours when you have Q's to ask.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Wow what a great broker
Isn't that sopmething to complain about to the board of licensing for realtors and brokers...but you probable will get the same result as I had with the convicted felon that was my realtor...
Poor service is not something you complain to a board that oversees Realtors. They handle licensing violations & ethics issues.

You fire someone who gives you poor service.

Bentlebee, you might want to share with us your story about the agent who was a convicted felon. I'm sure someone somewhere has not heard of your ordeal. Or maybe everyone has heard it 30-40 times.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
23 days without flyers?!? Dump him quick if you can. That's outrageous. I was upset about not having flyers the weekend we listed, even though it was the 4th of July weekend! I realized that it was a holiday, but that didn't stop me from asking repeatedly about it. And I was understanding, too.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 PM

92 posts, read 298,493 times
Have someone you know call him or his office about your house for sale. See how long it take for him to respond to a potential buyer. From what I have read so far I guarantee the delayed response gets you in the mood to fire him.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Bentlebee, you might want to share with us your story about the agent who was a convicted felon. I'm sure someone somewhere has not heard of your ordeal. Or maybe everyone has heard it 30-40 times.
Just being curious about the whole convicted felon thing, I checked several state's licensing sites and saw that felony convictions are often reviewed on a case by case basis, for all sorts of licenses. Many states take into consideration the lapse of time, type of felony and subsequent conduct to make a final determination.

I have no doubt that there are some covicted felons holding all sort of licenses, not just real estate. Either he/she did not disclose and the state did not check or the state reviewed the case and for reasons known to them, granted a license.

If this makes anyone uncomfortable, they should pursue this at the state level.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschwar View Post
I email my realtor of Saturday asking if there had been any showings and he replies on Tuesday. When I bring up his repeated pattern of taking days to respond whether it is voice mail or email, he tell me that respond within a reasonable amount of time. The house has been on the market for 23 days and he has yet to put out the flyers. He refuses to have an open house or put additional photos on Realtor.com. I have had it with him. I can't go to the broker and complain because he is the broker.
Sounds like you may not have asked the right questions when you interviewed him.

Are you sure that he pays for enhanced listings on realtor.com? A lot of agents don't. My guess is that he doesn't, which is why he doesn't have pictures up.

IMO, 24 hours is more then "reasonable" to get back to someone. Does he have anyone on the desk to take messages? My pref is for email as I have everything in writing. Both of my agents answered emails/phone calls within hours, even on Memorial weekend.

With the fliers, for our agent, it took time. Pictures had to be taken, then his staff had to walk my house, set it up, then a few emails to me in between to make sure what they were adding was correct.

If you do a search in this forum for agent questions using my name as poster, you will get a few posts where I listed my questions to the agents I interviewed. Also do a search for fliers with my name, I posted in Dogmom's post with links to flier pages, make your own. You can see a partial pic of my flier here. It was actually 2 pages, 2nd having a location map as well as more photos. My main focus was on the house mechanicals verses photos as anyone could go online and find the larger photos but the info on the flier which should have been in the notes of our listing, was not.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
Why are you all making excuses for this guy's lack of professionalism? You get an email you return it before you go to bed for the evening....you get a phone call ...you return it after normal business hours the same day. Real estate is a communication business. What other business operates with "free" inventory? In 25+ years, I have never not returned a call or an email the same day. It can be done and in fact, must be done.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Why are you all making excuses for this guy's lack of professionalism? You get an email you return it before you go to bed for the evening....you get a phone call ...you return it after normal business hours the same day. Real estate is a communication business. What other business operates with "free" inventory? In 25+ years, I have never not returned a call or an email the same day. It can be done and in fact, must be done.
There are no excuses for bad service, but there are good excuses for a reasonable response.

Many agents do try & have a life. Many will not respond after 7pm in the evening which is when they may like to spend time with their family. Many will take Sunday off so after 5pm Saturday they may not respond till Monday morning. Many like to spend time with their family at night, go to church, bowl, play golf and occasionally sleep.

There are times we may be out showing homes for 5-6 hours and can't return calls till we get away from the client. While we are with a client we owe them the courtesy of not being constantly on the phone. I understand there are always emergencies that require immediate attention.

I think personally all of these are acceptable as long as the agent has communicated with a client what hours they work and don't work. People are spoiled today, selfish that that the want instant responses without consideration of others.

There again there is no excuse for bad service.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
It's all about setting expectations on both sides of the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate