Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 AM

169 posts, read 703,187 times

Advertisements

I want to find out what happened in the Under Contract phase that caused the property to come back on the market. What would be my best source to get this information?

My main concern is the house has OIL heat and I do plan on changing this after I purchase the house but the tank is underground and I am wondering if something involving the OIL tank/contamination was the deal breaker here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
WEll as someone who just had their home UC for 2 months and had their buyers bail on day of closing, I think the best thing to do is to call the realtor and ask what happened. OUr realtor called everyone that looked at our home and told them it was back and what happened. Luckily, we just went under contract again but I was more than willing to share EVERYTHING, full inspection report, etc... I didn't want anyone thinking there was some problem with our home. IT stinks for us b/c there of course is that perception but we were more than forthcoming with information that it wasn't about our product, it was cold feet on behalf of the buyers.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
WEll as someone who just had their home UC for 2 months and had their buyers bail on day of closing, I think the best thing to do is to call the realtor and ask what happened. OUr realtor called everyone that looked at our home and told them it was back and what happened. Luckily, we just went under contract again but I was more than willing to share EVERYTHING, full inspection report, etc... I didn't want anyone thinking there was some problem with our home. IT stinks for us b/c there of course is that perception but we were more than forthcoming with information that it wasn't about our product, it was cold feet on behalf of the buyers.
Dj32 - do I see that you are back in contract. That is so great!! Did I miss the thread telling everyone?
Was it that low ball offer - did you take it or did they come up, or is this someone new.

Sorry if you've gone through all this somewhere already, but I couldn't find it.

Just happy for you because your original situation was so awful!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
With that said, I put a call into my real estate agent to reach out and get in contact with the home owner or the selling agent to try and find out the info for me and see if I can get a copy of the inspection report if in fact one was done.

I remember meeting the home owner and he was very friendly, would I be out of line to swing by there and speak with him directly? He is usually outside the house working on the garage (he is putting a new roof on the garage)

Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM

UPDATE - I spoke to my agent and he is pretty friendly with the selling agent so he is going to try and get the scoop for me.... Unfortunately he said home inspections are almost never disclosed, and a new one is required and obviously only after being under contract.

I told him to see what he can find out.... I need to know what the deal breaker was.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM

160 posts, read 801,812 times
IF a leaky oil tank was discovered during the previous buyer's inspection that material fact would have to be disclosed by the seller to any other potential buyer going forward. I'd be willing to bet the reason the contract fell through was either due to the buyer not being able to obtain a loan, or the house didn't appraise for the contract price and seller refused to lower it.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:31 PM

I'm hoping it was financing.... if the inspection was good the seller should want to disclose the info so I'm hoping I can get some info....

Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM

152 posts, read 432,634 times
Our home is listed as active but under contract. (It's such a long story. LOL) Our RE had got a call yesterday from another RE wanting to know why. Our RE was very honest and explained why. That night the RE that phoned had his clients come for a showing.

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin View Post

I told him to see what he can find out.... I need to know what the deal breaker was.
This information is technically none of your business (I mean that in the nicest way possible). If someone wants to give you that information, they can I suppose, but since the information has a chance of coloring future transactions, I wouldn't tell anyone anything about the previous transaction.

Your own inspections are going to have to suffice.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
Hey Moonlight-

Is it contingent offer? Ours is just back UC (long story here too) but I really wish it COULD show up active in MLS and no one is going to look at it or make a back up offer with more inventory than usual around. I'm just so gunshy now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate