Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

959 posts, read 1,823,743 times

Advertisements

I am in the Twin Cities area. Mpls/St. Paul

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 PM

30 posts, read 185,635 times
Why don't you use a realtor? They can answer all your questions and your offers wouldn't be all over the board. They can advise you what to offer. By the way, buyers agents are free!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Well, the OP doesn't say where they are from, so you cannot make general statements about the "Slooooow market" since some areas are still doing OK.
She's in the Minneapolis area. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
If you found the house that is perfect and the list price was $939,500, what would you offer? I don't want to offend anyone but don't want to pay to much either.

Kristine
You should ask your agent that very question. Your market is different than most people on here. California or South Carolina is not Minnesota.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:49 PM

94 posts, read 763,123 times
Consider comps and what it is worth to you. If you start at 845 but someone else offers 890 you may have just lost the house. Consider what you're willing to pay to live there as well. Sometimes it's not about nickel and diming the seller but getting what you truly want

Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
I'm a bit data junkie. So if I were you, I'd ask my realtor to provide the latest 6-month comp sales information including listing prices, sale prices, DOM. Try to get at least 30 or more observations.

See whether there's any pattern. What's the average sale/listing price ratio? Does this ratio depend on the DOM? Do people pay more for new listings?

Also check whether there's any trend in the price/sqft. Forecast out the price/sqft to today and use this figure to price the home. Or hire a starving economist.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:15 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSRZ View Post
Wish I could get 90% of listing price up here in Panama City, I'd be a home owner right now.

I'd try 10% and go from there. All depends on your market.
I'm in Orlando, and everything is selling way below list price here, especially downtown. What are places going for in Panama City?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM

153 posts, read 408,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
I'm in Orlando, and everything is selling way below list price here, especially downtown. What are places going for in Panama City?

Around here prices haven't come down much. Houses are sitting DOM average 136 days and selling w/ 5-7% of listing price. 21 mos of inventory is on the books and climbing slowly. Looking back to 02-04, housing prices were 15-18% less than current values. So they're still a little high. Some people have theirs listed right but then others are just out of this world. The house I want to buy is close to being 70K too high--so here I sit continuing to rent.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM

202 posts, read 704,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
First I'd check the comps, then I'd lowball it to get the real acceptable price. You can always go up if they counter-offer. If the house is in the $900,000 area, I'd personally would start with an offer of $600,000. At that price, in todays slooooooow market, I bet you could work out a smoking deal, especially if the seller is seriously motived enough. You may find the house is about to be foreclosed on or ???, anything that makes the owner want to sell and save hi/her credit rating.
Seriously? The owner is not even going to bother to counter an offer that low. You have no reason to assume that the seller is that desperate. Lots of sellers aren't.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
Seriously? The owner is not even going to bother to counter an offer that low. You have no reason to assume that the seller is that desperate. Lots of sellers aren't.
You could be right. My husband wouldn't have responded to that.
He also didn't want to respond to the low ball we got that was the same price as our zillow "zestimate" at the time. It's the wife that calmed him down and told him to counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate