Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:34 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I asked my agent to contact the listing agent concerning another property... guess what? No reply, my agent suggested that I go look at the land myself to "figure it out"... guess agents are working hard for their 3% commission by doing nothing... yet again...
You do know the words, "You're Fired" ? It's a fairly short sentance and easy to say. You can even add a few descriptive words after it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brytanica1 View Post
Just my two cents.

Many agents do not answer their cells and let people go to voice mail for the simple reason of not wanting to be caught unprepared. In a job where credibility is everything, really, the last thing you want to do is have someone call you needing information, or having questions you do not have the answers to. I personally hate talking to a prospect, especially the first time when first impressions are everything and not having the information they request.

As far as not returning phone calls, thats a tougher one. I would say the 99% of the initial contact phone calls I return promptly, at the first opportunity.

However, their is a minority of phone messages/calls that I will receive where I simply look at my phone and the immediate response is "I am not going to be calling this person back", because for whatever reason they have left me with the exceedingly strong impression that its simply not worth the time to deal with them.
I wouldn't say many...maybe you. I almost always answer my phone. The only times I don't is when I'm taking personal time or when I'm meeting another client.

Oh, and Bentlebee, that agent you were talking about...is that the one that is a convicted felon?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:36 AM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
I agree with Homesandloans. I receive SO many calls where there isn't a phone number or it's said SO quickly you can't always hear it or understand it. Repeating the phone number is the best and most helpful way to get a PROMPT call back! As a side note, I work with an agent who says on his VM, "Please repeat your phone number twice, so I'm assured to have the correct number." I chuckle when I hear it because wouldn't that mean saying the phone number 4 times? That WOULD be excessive!

Perhaps the OP is great at leaving messages - I know there are agents out there who aren't great at returning calls!

Last edited by Sarah Maske; 08-23-2008 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
I am late and hope OP is still around. I am a REALTOR and I say personally I am appalled and embarrassed at the lack of professionalism in this business. It's a business where anyone can get a license if they can guess at enough answers on a test and get them right. It is not just in NJ, it is in CA also where EGOS are larger than the entire pacific ocean. It's no wonder the public prefers to not have representation by a Realtor. I can't say I blame them.

I just closed a deal this week and I had ZERO conversations with the listing agent throughout the entire transaction. I thought I was dealing with a rock star! He never acknowledged receiving my buyer's offer, then three weeks later after we had moved on and figured we got outbidded I get an email from someone on his TEAM saying the bank accepted the offer and we would get a counter within 72 hours. Then the next person I dealt with was his transaction coordinator, but via email only.

This industry wants to be considered as professionals but yet the lack of professionalism is rampant. Imagine if two attorneys were doing business on a multi million dollar deal and never had a conversation with one another. Imagine if two surgeons were trying to save a patient and consult on the best way to treat him/her and they just had their people get in touch with one another!

I say to all BUYERS, if you can't reach a listing agent go and knock on the door if it is owner occupied and let them know that you were interested in their home but their agent does not return calls! Let them know they hired someone that just wanted to take their money without doing any work and may you please see their home!
Now if it's an REO then chances are it is vacant. In that case get your own agent. It does not cost you a DIME to have your own representation. And it doesn't save the seller any money because the commission has already been decided and is in the contract between seller and listing agent. So if the seller has agreed to pay six percent, it is still going to be paid rather it's to one agent or two agents.

And by no means am I saying that all agents are unprofessional. I dealt with a few recently that were awesome and on top of their game! True gems in the business!

Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I guess most realtors "are fired", since most of them hardly call back or reply on emails....and it strikes me most that they do call me if there is anything that I like among the listings they send me....but when I call about a listing and leave a message or an email reply, they never answer.......maybe "half fired", or part time without having money to listen to their voice mail and reading their emails......

Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post

I just closed a deal this week and I had ZERO conversations with the listing agent throughout the entire transaction. I thought I was dealing with a rock star! He never acknowledged receiving my buyer's offer, then three weeks later after we had moved on and figured we got outbidded I get an email from someone on his TEAM saying the bank accepted the offer and we would get a counter within 72 hours. Then the next person I dealt with was his transaction coordinator, but via email only.
Agents/teams who specialize in REO properties are a breed unto themselves. Many are overwhelmed with business and work on relatively tight margins. The process can and usually does take weeks for a bank response. Not making excuses for them. It is what it is.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I say to all BUYERS, if you can't reach a listing agent go and knock on the door if it is owner occupied and let them know that you were interested in their home but their agent does not return calls! Let them know they hired someone that just wanted to take their money without doing any work and may you please see their home!
We just did pretty much what you said. Granted, we're looking for rentals - but the agent listing the rentals, which we wanted to see 4 of their homes, never showed up and never returned our calls. We went to the first home, and the owner was there, none too happy, since she hadn't been notified that someone was coming to look...

I suspect that company lost a listing that afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate