Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times

Advertisements

When a house in your area is priced incredibly high? I was just looking in my old town and SHOCKED at some of the house prices. No wonder they are sitting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
What are the similar houses that do sell going for, do you know?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
We just sold ours. Houses that are smaller, not in as good of an area and not as nice are priced $100,000 more. We got 5% below asking.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Okay, that's one. How about others? (In doing a CMA, I always have to have at least 3 solds, as one doesn't show a pattern.)

I've been surprised before, by the way, by a house selling for asking, or more than asking, in a "not as good area", when I thought it was priced high, because it turned out that that was the area that was just about to come "hot" as the "hot" area was burning out as a destination.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,003 times
YES- when we had to relisit it amazed me the homes going on the market. Since we were below comps I felt even better about our price. The builder who built our home (small builder, only builds 1 per year) had built a home the year after ours and the people there (who we know) just listed theirs. IT is 300 sq feet bigger but basically a beige box (we had added color, landscaping, wood work, built-ins,etc) they listed over 125K more thatn we were listed. Well, they likely won't be too happy when they see what we ended up taking (200K off their price!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
When a house in your area is priced incredibly high?
Unfortunately, I'm more amazed when I see a house that is priced fairly for today's market. They seem to be the exception rather than the rule. They sell in a few months, while the others sit.....

The ones I've tracked that came on high and dropped their prices usually drop between 75-125k before they go under contract. It's sad to see so many houses priced so unrealistically for so long. Some of them eventually end up in the "Lis Penden" notices and that explains everything.

Sad, sad, sad.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
Timely post.
We walked through an open house in our neighborhood this weekend. Talk about high pressure! The RE agent informed us she was THE top agent in the area back in 2005, and after taking some time off to spend w/family she was just getting back into the market.

She also said she had already had an offer on the house (been on the market 5 days) but since it was 10% below asking price... the owners didn't even bother countering. She was sure that if we wrote up a full price offer she would be able to get us the house.
Yea, no doubt.

I know price per sq ft is not the be all, end all. But for quick illustration:
this particular house was listed at $420 SF.
The next closest closest asking price in the neighborhood is $406 SF
the highest selling price in the area in the past 6 months was $404 SF

I'm thinking this woman is stuck in a time warp trying to do business top of the market style. My guess is that any offer of only 10% below that crazy high asking price was in her mind only.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 PM

87 posts, read 315,673 times
A home we are looking at has come down 100K in the last year (it's been listed for 13 months) and it's still 50K above comparables in the area. Comparables that were listed more reasonably sold on average in about 60-70 days. We're hesitant to even bid as this seller seems unaware of market value. The market keeps declining but he keeps playing catch-up ... and all of his neighbors are getting their homes sold before him.

We have our home listed at 30K below any others our development (with the same upgrades, size within +/- 200 sq. ft), so we're keeping our fingers crossed. If the market doesn't stabilize, we will decrease the price regularly to stay competitive. It's just how the market is right now, you need to offer a great deal to get the buyers to make the leap from contemplating to making an offer.

Good luck everyone.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm more amazed when I see a house that is priced fairly for today's market. They seem to be the exception rather than the rule. They sell in a few months, while the others sit.....
Couldn't agree with you more!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Couldn't agree with you more!
People just cannot accept this market. I genuinely feel badly for those who bought high a couple of years ago and now have to sell. That is truly unfortunate and I wish the best as there are many out there. As for the rest who speculated and bought houses expecting windfall profits? Wake up and smell the coffee. You can put it on for whatever you want, but in this market price is 90 percent of the battle. If a buyer is looking in your area there are probably 10 more houses on the market just like yours.

That said, things will get better, they always do. I am trying to sell also so i have first hand experience. We just LAUGH at the houses priced 10 and 20 percent higher. It's like hey, I DEMAND you pay this for my house as I was counting on that extra money. I expected it and now it shall be....uh-uh. I hope we all learn a lesson from this the next time a bubble starts developing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate