Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of "bigger fools" in bankruptcy these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Is it really good stuff? I mean my 8 year old son can tell me some of that..
Kids often say the darndest things, don't they.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Apologies for not shrugging it off.....guess this was just one comment
after too many that imply we get to "line our pockets' with rent monies.
That's not a good enough excuse so the apology is sincere.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
but Oceanside has a lot of things going for it.
Oceanside isn't very nice and historically has been a pretty cheap place to live. What has changed over the last 6-7 years to justify the increased prices? Nothing really. The prices are still higher than historic norms. Given that and the fact that there is a lot of foreclosure activity I'm pretty amazed you think there is no way prices can decline more.

Quote:
My estimated mortgage payment-to-be puts my taxable income at a whopping $10k, because of the 30 year term and other deductions. My current tax liability is $10k
How can your mortgage payment put your taxable income at $10k? That would mean your mortgage payment is something like 80% of your income. Also, you aren't at the highest tax bracket if you don't make more than 100k. You'd have to make over 357k to be in the highest tax bracket. You are either in the 25% or the 28% bracket.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
prices are coming down disproportionately, in some areas you may get good buys but in others like here in South OC it's still a very bad decision to buy. I could rent a 3bd house here around Mission Viejo for $2k - $2.2k or so. Buying something similar is going to cost me $5k, that's a HUGE gap. To make a 30yr commitment I expect my PITI+HOA to be a bit less than rent (trading cost for commitment..just like you sign a lease for lower stable payments, that is how it's always been), so perhaps $1900 - $2k or so. For that prices still have to come down by about 50%.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Oceanside isn't very nice and historically has been a pretty cheap place to live. What has changed over the last 6-7 years to justify the increased prices? Nothing really. The prices are still higher than historic norms. Given that and the fact that there is a lot of foreclosure activity I'm pretty amazed you think there is no way prices can decline more.
I repeat...Prices are NOT going back down to their "historic" levels. There's no way. Buildout has made land a premium, and the value of the land is nearly 70% of the total purchase price. $170k or thereabout is the lowest it's going to get. We're not going to see house prices around $90k like my parents got back in the 80's. Not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
How can your mortgage payment put your taxable income at $10k? That would mean your mortgage payment is something like 80% of your income. Also, you aren't at the highest tax bracket if you don't make more than 100k. You'd have to make over 357k to be in the highest tax bracket. You are either in the 25% or the 28% bracket.
As I said, until I make over $100k, my tax liability isn't going higher.

And, you're thinking in reverse. When I do my taxes, my taxable income decreases to around $40k. Assuming interest and (at least for now) capital gains, I can deduct nearly $24k. 401k cuts it even more. Overpayment of taxes every year cuts it even more. And student loan interest cuts it yet more. By the time it's done, my taxable will be so low that I will have no tax liability, resulting in a full refund...again, until I make over $100k. Then I'll break even and eventually start owing again. That's when itemization is critical.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Rent is not throwing money away, it's buying shelter. One might as well say that buying food and clothing is throwing money away.
The demand for rentals is increasing in many areas, sometimes more so than the supply of places to rent. This will push rents higher and begin to bridge the gap between renting versus owning, assuming a reasonable down payment. The balance is another component to recovery.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I repeat...Prices are NOT going back down to their "historic" levels. There's no way.
Why not? Something is worth only what people will or CAN pay for it. It's pretty simple. Besides the old wives tale that there is no buildable land has been refuted many times, just search the net for an analysis. Infact, the converse is true, Southern California has been severely overbuilt in the last few years.

And given what is happening with our economy including the downward pressures on income due to Global Wage arbitrage I think demand for homes will wane and take prices to new lows.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Know what chafes my hinney as far as real estate?
If you have to sell your primary resodence- house at a loss for a reason like job transfer, etc. (not just wanting to move 5 miles down the road) you get no tax relief for the loss whatsoever. Isn't buying real esate a gamble to begin with? Ya...so why can't you take it as a gambling loss???
That 's what I wanta know!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Unless prices continue to decline, in which case you don't get your money back and may even end up owing money to move out of your own house. In that case it's a lot like renting - you pay to use the house for a while and end up with "nothing" to show for it when you move.
First, so you dont buy a home, because of "in case properties decline"?

Second, I've never seen a period of time when property values decline for 30+ years consecutively. Ohh, there hasnt been yet, thats why...

Third, you could pay your mortgage off in 15-30 years, so regardless as to what the property values have gone to, in after 15-30 years you sell and pocket whatever you can. What do you end up with after 15-30 years of rent? (or 5 years as in the last mortgage I had).

Finally, you dont lose money on properties until you sell. So you could buy a home for $100,000, have it drop to $50,000 but as long as you continue to live there, you dont lose money on it. The chance of properties not climbing again over 30 years is slim to none. Whats the value of the rent you paid over 30 years?

Last edited by pghquest; 07-30-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate