Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 89,164 times

Advertisements

is it wise to pay for a home inspection before making an offer on a home? what if the seller accepts an offer while/just after you do an inspection? is it taking a risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I would not advise it. You need to work out all the terms before you spend money on an inspection. You don't even know if you can agree on a price or closing dates.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
proper order, is get an agreed price, and put the home inspection in you contract, and then you will be protected, and always something shows up, but can usually be worked out, as long as its not major. We just had an agent put in contract, and with inspection, found 20,000 in foundation issues, and you never know what you will find. Its to your best interest to protect you.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM

thanks. i thought it might be a mistake. why would a realtor recommend that then?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 PM

573 posts, read 1,690,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurrl View Post
thanks. i thought it might be a mistake. why would a realtor recommend that then?
Not sure, maybe your realtor isn't very savvy. It is not finacially feasible to have an inspector come into every house you put an offer on. Inspectors here in Orlando run around $400 for a good one. It would be a waste of money w/out a solid dollar amount already agreed to, IMO.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 PM

192 posts, read 721,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurrl View Post
Ask them why they did and let us know what they said. i am curious myself.

If you make the inspection contigent in the contract, the contract and be cancelled if something comes up.

Then is your chance to make a new and supported low ball, or new offer that repairs be made first, or a credit at closing for the repairs, if you still want the house.

Like the rest said, no need to waste your money on the inspection first, if you don't even know if you will be able to agree on a price or other terms.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 PM

thanks, everyone. obviously, by the question, you can tell i'm a first-time buyer and very nervous.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
I am seeing more pre-contract home inspections in my area, especially at high end price points. Some buyers want to know the condition of the property upfront before they make an offer rather than agreeing to price and terms and then having the inspection blow it apart.

Such buyers have more than likely gone the traditional route only to become disappointed with the findings or have lost a house because the owner refused to address the issues or credit them back, at closing.

Either way, the buyer is out the cost of the inspection, if the issues cannot be resolved.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 AM

the house is at a lower pricepoint (under 250k) and only about 8 years old. it needs some cosmetic upgrading, from what i can see with my nonprofessional eyes, and i want a place i can upgrade over time. i just don't see why i should pay up front for an inspection. the realtor says it would help me determine what to offer, but he has given me a list of homes sold in the area, and other houses on the market, so i feel i have a fairly good idea of what to offer.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am seeing more pre-contract home inspections in my area, especially at high end price points. Some buyers want to know the condition of the property upfront before they make an offer rather than agreeing to price and terms and then having the inspection blow it apart.

Such buyers have more than likely gone the traditional route only to become disappointed with the findings or have lost a house because the owner refused to address the issues or credit them back, at closing.

Either way, the buyer is out the cost of the inspection, if the issues cannot be resolved.
There may be merit in losing an inspection fee up front rather than putting substantial earnest money at risk.
I think we may see more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate